Help needed installing a case fan

tmontney

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
I honestly feel ridiculous asking this question. Installing a case fan should be simple (right?). I just got a couple 120mm fans. I'm installing them in an old 2006 Coolermaster Centurion (the fans are also Coolermaster). To be honest, I haven't installed a case fan. I've built computers but never had to install case fans.

The problem I'm having is the fan doesn't seem to screw in easily. It feels like the holes aren't even threaded. The fans came with 4 screws each. I put the fan flush with the inside of the grill, and put the screw on the outside of the hole and start screwing in it. But, like I said, they are extremely resistant to being screwed in. I even tried just screwing it in not being attached to the case. I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong.

Update: Here are some pictures if it helps.

snj6zq.jpg

244qreu.jpg

Solution
You're not doing anything wrong. The screws they gave you with the fan are self-tapping screws, meaning they start a thread channel for the rest of the screw as it goes in. It is common for the first try at turning self tapping screws to find it difficult, but that's just the way they're designed.
You're not doing anything wrong. The screws they gave you with the fan are self-tapping screws, meaning they start a thread channel for the rest of the screw as it goes in. It is common for the first try at turning self tapping screws to find it difficult, but that's just the way they're designed.

Solution

tmontney

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
That's great to know. I'll try it out.

tmontney

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

[strike]Electric? No. I'll try my luck with the manuals that I have.[/strike]

Actually I found one. I never thought installing a case fan was this involved.

tmontney

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

It worked but I absolutely destroyed the screws in the process. I can't really see a way to avoid stripping them. I'd also recommend for anyone else to simply do everything in one shot (use an electric drill and drill the screws to attach it to the case right away). I figured if I drilled the screws into the fan that I'd create threads (so I can unscrew and put them on my case using a regular 'driver).

Reactions: R2burkholder