Sign in with
Your question
Closed

I7 3770k with Corsair H80: idle@ 34 degree, GOOD?

Last response: in CPUs
May 7, 2012 8:32:33 AM

Hi guys, I just finish putting my system together and stuff. I have a question, I first boot up my system and goes to MSI z77 G65 motherboard bios and it display my CPU idle temp at 34 degree. Is that good idle temp coming from corsair H80? ... I'm scare I might install it wrong or something, but I saw this video some guy gets even lower temp at around 24c idle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgR2XLhFzUU

Help please, advice is it reasonable coming from corsair H80 to idle ar around 34c? ..
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2012 8:34:45 AM

That's not a bad temp. Could be lower though. Did you apply the correct amount of thermal grease (just a little dab)?
Score
May 7, 2012 8:36:14 AM

abekl said:
That's not a bad temp. Could be lower though. Did you apply the correct amount of thermal grease (just a little dab)?

I didn't apply anything, since the corsair H80 already came with pre-apply thermal grease on it, so I just mount it on top of CPU without needing to apply any...
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2012 8:40:34 AM

OK, then you don't have too much thermal grease. applied. Sometimes people put on too much, and that is worse than too little.

If you find that your load temps get too high, you can always clean off the existing thermal grease and apply some arctic silver 5. That will bring down your temps a bit.
Score
May 7, 2012 8:42:01 AM

abekl said:
OK, then you don't have too much thermal grease. applied. Sometimes people put on too much, and that is worse than too little.

If you find that your load temps get too high, you can always clean off the existing thermal grease and apply some arctic silver 5. That will bring down your temps a bit.

But is idle at 34c is still good or reasonable coming from corsair H80?
Score
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2012 8:43:37 AM

A temp of 34c is fine. You're nowhere near the danger range.
Score
May 7, 2012 8:43:51 AM

hmmmmm...tell us what you're load temps are. idle at 30-40 is fine for a cpu, even if it is a tad bit high for a liquid cooler. but if your load temps are excessive (for a liquid cooler), say in the range of 70-80, then you might have a problem.
Score
May 7, 2012 8:46:55 AM

bennaye said:
hmmmmm...tell us what you're load temps are. idle at 30-40 is fine for a cpu, even if it is a tad bit high for a liquid cooler. but if your load temps are excessive (for a liquid cooler), say in the range of 70-80, then you might have a problem.

What program I use to test the loading?
Score
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2012 8:48:47 AM

Use Prime 95 to generate the load, and use something like HWmonitor to record the temps. There are a variety of temp monitoring tools out there. HWMonitor is just the one that I know,
Score
May 7, 2012 8:53:28 AM

What is your ambient temperature (room temperature)? The temperatures in your computer will vary wildly to that video if you live in a hotter environment.
Score
May 7, 2012 9:04:51 AM

blakphoenix said:
What is your ambient temperature (room temperature)? The temperatures in your computer will vary wildly to that video if you live in a hotter environment.

Running prime 95 "blended test of everything", with HWmonitor, highest temp for one of the core is 40c, the "Package" temp is at 44c-47c..

This is at default i7 3770k 3.5ghz, have not overclock yet...

So is it good or bad?

Score
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2012 9:08:23 AM

very good.
Score
May 7, 2012 9:08:45 AM

Here's picture of HWmonitor while running prime 95 test

Score
May 7, 2012 9:09:42 AM

sorry sorry, picture link did not work, I was trying to attach it since I took picture on my Iphone.. have to figure out how to load this up to this..
Score
May 7, 2012 9:14:17 AM

abekl said:
very good.

My "package" temp hitting highest 50c" but it goes back to 47c most of the time.

2 cores temp hitting highest 44-45c but it mainly stand around 40ish..

So is this good temp coming from Corsair H80?.. prime 95 is still running as we speak
Score
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2012 9:24:38 AM

I keep telling you that your temps are good, but you keep asking. What am I doing wrong so that I can make clear to you that you don't need to worry about your temps?
Score
May 7, 2012 9:26:57 AM

abekl said:
I keep telling you that your temps are good, but you keep asking. What am I doing wrong so that I can make clear to you that you don't need to worry about your temps?

Sorry man, thanks for your feedback. By the way, I'm planning to overlock this to 4.5ghz at least

What's "good" "safe" "ok" temp for me to have once I overclock to 4.5ghz?
Score
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2012 9:36:15 AM

Anything up to the mid 50's c is ok on that cpu. Once you hit 60 c, you are getting close to the danger zone.
Score
May 7, 2012 10:28:46 AM

abekl said:
Anything up to the mid 50's c is ok on that cpu. Once you hit 60 c, you are getting close to the danger zone.

Why are you spreading misinformation?

Sandy Bridge owners were safe up to 70C, Ivy Bridge I would say is more safer up to 75C considering the different type of IHS spreader used. Even then, Tjc for SB is 98C while it is 103 for IB.

And the thermal paste that came with the H80 is superior to Arctic Silver 5. AS5 is old and outdated stuff. No more ridiculous 200 hour cure times.
Score
May 11, 2012 3:36:20 PM

I own a H60 and it seems to keep my overclocked cpu fx8150 cooler so I would check and make sure the unit is tightly mounted on the processor
Score
a c 190 à CPUs
May 11, 2012 3:44:41 PM

I have the Corsair h100 on my Intel® Core™ i5-3570K at stock I was in the high 20's for idle now with it overclocked I am in the low 30s at idle and the higher 70s under load for it overclocking to 4.2GHz for a 24/7 overclock.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
Score
May 11, 2012 4:08:04 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
I have the Corsair h100 on my Intel® Core™ i5-3570K at stock I was in the high 20's for idle now with it overclocked I am in the low 30s at idle and the higher 70s under load for it overclocking to 4.2GHz for a 24/7 overclock.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

From the look of your numbers my corsair H80 with I7 3770k (not overclock) is doing worse than your overclock i5-3570k..omg...I must of mess up somewhere?
Score
a b à CPUs
May 11, 2012 4:26:28 PM

alricking113 said:
From the look of your numbers my corsair H80 with I7 3770k (not overclock) is doing worse than your overclock i5-3570k..omg...I must of mess up somewhere?

If you're only hitting 50°c during load I'd say you're doing better than most... no need to change anything. Idle temps are always inaccurate readings, as the temps rise the accuracy gets tighter. It's not wise to compare two completely different systems as there are many different variables... Ambient air temperature, fans and airflow, etc...

Take idle temperatures with a grain of salt... and concentrate more on load temps. Sandy Bridge Tcase is 72.6°c so I'm assuming it's close to this for Ivy Bridge if not a few ° higher.

Edit: and Christian is running an i5 so in a perfect world his temps would and should be lower although higher 70's @ 4.2ghz seems a wee bit high... for such a mild OC. :) 
Score
July 31, 2012 2:12:00 AM

You may be a little high, but probably not bad.

I have the 3770K with the H80 in exhaust mode and get at x35 high 20s in idle and about 46C at P95 load. But the orig H80 bracket hdwe allowed a gap for my ASRock Z77 Extreme4, so there would have been no way to secure the cooling block on the CPU. I contacted Corsair Tech Suppt twice but they would not acknowledge the problem; I added nylon washers to the backside and it solved the problem.

I have not yet OCd, but expect (or hope) for under 60C at x42. I do plan on remounting the cooling block with Antec Formula 7 (8.3 w/mk, nearly comparable to some aerospace solutions I've seen) and if need be, reverse the H80 fans to intake (may also change a front mounted 120mm from intake to exhaust). I expect the first to improve performance at least 5C, and the second maybe 1 or 2C. BTW, my ambient is about 25-27C.

As others have said the H80 fans when at the high speed are noisy (and sound like jet engines at awake!), but are fairly quiet at low. Corsair told me the pump (which is always on high, about 2100 RPM...you cannot adjust this) is rated at 50,000 hrs (not bad). For noise, during normal mode, I'm thinking of plugging these into the m/b headers so I can control for normal ("quiet") mode, and can let them rip when I need to OC.
Score
July 31, 2012 3:23:38 AM

IntelEnthusiast said:

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

I agree with you on this, I have the same corsair h100 on my i7-3770k overclocked to 4.7 24/7
and my idle temp is 32 degrees.
Score
September 25, 2012 8:19:56 PM

alricking113 said:
Hi guys, I just finish putting my system together and stuff. I have a question, I first boot up my system and goes to MSI z77 G65 motherboard bios and it display my CPU idle temp at 34 degree. Is that good idle temp coming from corsair H80? ... I'm scare I might install it wrong or something, but I saw this video some guy gets even lower temp at around 24c idle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgR2XLhFzUU

Help please, advice is it reasonable coming from corsair H80 to idle ar around 34c? ..

I am running h100 on 3770k and at idle she usually stays around 20c but if had it go all the way to 14c. I am running alot of air through this corsair carbide 500 though.
Score
a b à CPUs
September 25, 2012 9:22:39 PM

sarcasm said:
Why are you spreading misinformation?

Sandy Bridge owners were safe up to 70C, Ivy Bridge I would say is more safer up to 75C considering the different type of IHS spreader used. Even then, Tjc for SB is 98C while it is 103 for IB.

And the thermal paste that came with the H80 is superior to Arctic Silver 5. AS5 is old and outdated stuff. No more ridiculous 200 hour cure times.

OT but:

AS5 is still a good paste, although the cure time is really long. It still performs extremely well.
Score
September 26, 2012 5:37:09 AM

The question whether my idle temp is good or bad depend on the ambient temperature. If ambient between 27 - 29C, ideal idle temp will be between 32 - 34C. Idle temp usually 5 - 7C higher than ambient. Idle temp will never lower than ambient temp unless you're using phase-change cooling or liquid nitrogen (LN2) cooling.

If under load, especially when stress testing using P95 or IBT, if ambient around 33 - 35C, load temp will usually around 70 - 80C. It lower than that when gaming which usually around 58 - 63C (approximately). Temps in 80s Celsius range still in the safe & acceptable zone. 90s range also in safe zone too but too high & too close to throttling point. TJmax for 3770K is 105C. TJmax is the maximum cores temperature which when reached will activated thermal throttling. TJmax is NOT maximum temperature when CPU will fried but it just a trip point to make sure CPU is running in safe temperature range.

There is another protection built in the CPU most people don't know; it's called THERMTRIP# signal. THERMTRIP# signal is triggered when cores temperature exceeds 130C which CPU will shutdown itself to prevent catastrophic overheating. System designer usually "override" this value to lower value (in BIOS/UEFI), usually a couple of degrees higher than TJmax.
Score
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2012 6:08:28 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!