Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Galaxy GeForce 9600 GT LowPower LowProfile

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 25, 2011 4:40:55 PM

Hello Forum,

This is my first post, please go easy on me. :) 

Anyway, I have an Acer slimline desktop computer that I purchased a couple years ago along with one of those Galaxy 9600GT Low Profile cards. I purchased this card because it was 1) slimline so it fits into the case 2) had HDMI and DVI outputs so I could run dual monitors, and 3) So far I have been very happy with this setup. I am not an avid PC gamer, and when I do game the most taxing game is Starcraft 2, no first person shooters.

As can be expected, the fan is starting to make the classic "dust in the bearings/bushings" noise. I think the card overheated a time or two because my computer locked up a couple of times. It makes noise when the computer first starts up and then the noise settles down. I did some googling and found that many people we able to take apart the heatsink and clean the fan. I did that and things appear to be running better, although there is still some noise. Currently the card at idle (just a browser open) the fan is at 100% and the temp is sitting at 90-91C, I don't think that the card can sustain that for very long.

So I have a couple of questions for the forum:

1) Are there suitable replacement parts (i.e. a fan) that I can get for this card? I read that someone used an old xbox fan, but I don't have an old xbox laying around.

2) I tried to find this card online for purchase in case it was damaged from overheating, but it appears that it is no longer available. What would be a replacement/upgrade for this particular card, keeping in mind I have two monitors (DVI capable)? It could be any GPU manufacturer.

Thanks in advance.

a b Î Nvidia
November 26, 2011 4:27:03 AM

you are looking for a low profile card, but first clean the card out :D  That will get rid of all of the dirty dust that is causing your card to over heat and in the end you may not need to upgrade. Try some compressed air
Score
a b Î Nvidia
November 26, 2011 5:01:25 AM

Yeah, clean off the dust from the card and also inside your PC.

If that doesn't help then post back here.
Score
Related resources
November 27, 2011 5:56:41 AM

Alright, well I really made things worse. I separated the heatsink/fan from the video card and I noticed two things:

1) One of the chips on the back of the card has a spot with no black on it and has what I think look like dimples - I think it may have melted.

2) When I took apart the fan from the heatsink I tried to oil the fan and it broke apart. The mounting bracket is in about three pieces on my desk.

Neither of these two things make me think that I am going to get out of this situation easily.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a low profile, low power video card that can fit into an Acer slimline PC?

Thanks,

AJ
Score

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
November 27, 2011 6:09:40 AM
December 5, 2011 1:33:04 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. I ended up going with the GT430. Nice card, although it claims that it is running at 60C at idle. I wonder if this is just a design flaw of the computer case.

Thank you all for the help!
Score
December 12, 2011 1:55:57 PM

Best answer selected by ajschroeder.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
December 12, 2011 2:20:44 PM

ajschroeder said:
Thank you for the suggestions. I ended up going with the GT430. Nice card, although it claims that it is running at 60C at idle. I wonder if this is just a design flaw of the computer case.

Thank you all for the help!

Is there anywhere you can add a fan in the case?
Score
!