Galaxy GeForce 9600 GT LowPower LowProfile

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajschroeder

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Hello Forum,

This is my first post, please go easy on me. :)

Anyway, I have an Acer slimline desktop computer that I purchased a couple years ago along with one of those Galaxy 9600GT Low Profile cards. I purchased this card because it was 1) slimline so it fits into the case 2) had HDMI and DVI outputs so I could run dual monitors, and 3) So far I have been very happy with this setup. I am not an avid PC gamer, and when I do game the most taxing game is Starcraft 2, no first person shooters.

As can be expected, the fan is starting to make the classic "dust in the bearings/bushings" noise. I think the card overheated a time or two because my computer locked up a couple of times. It makes noise when the computer first starts up and then the noise settles down. I did some googling and found that many people we able to take apart the heatsink and clean the fan. I did that and things appear to be running better, although there is still some noise. Currently the card at idle (just a browser open) the fan is at 100% and the temp is sitting at 90-91C, I don't think that the card can sustain that for very long.

So I have a couple of questions for the forum:

1) Are there suitable replacement parts (i.e. a fan) that I can get for this card? I read that someone used an old xbox fan, but I don't have an old xbox laying around.

2) I tried to find this card online for purchase in case it was damaged from overheating, but it appears that it is no longer available. What would be a replacement/upgrade for this particular card, keeping in mind I have two monitors (DVI capable)? It could be any GPU manufacturer.

Thanks in advance.

ajschroeder

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Alright, well I really made things worse. I separated the heatsink/fan from the video card and I noticed two things:

1) One of the chips on the back of the card has a spot with no black on it and has what I think look like dimples - I think it may have melted.

2) When I took apart the fan from the heatsink I tried to oil the fan and it broke apart. The mounting bracket is in about three pieces on my desk.

Neither of these two things make me think that I am going to get out of this situation easily.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a low profile, low power video card that can fit into an Acer slimline PC?

Thanks,

AJ

ajschroeder

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Thank you for the suggestions. I ended up going with the GT430. Nice card, although it claims that it is running at 60C at idle. I wonder if this is just a design flaw of the computer case.

Thank you all for the help!

Is there anywhere you can add a fan in the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.