DirectX 11 reverting to Directx 9 HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FudderHalix

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Hi! I have the following rig:
MOBO: MSI 890FXA-GD70
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition @ Stock + Zalman CNPS9900A MAX Blue LED
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 590 3072MB @ Stock, NVIDIA 285.62 driver
MEM: Crucial DDR3 1333MHz 2x2GB PSU: Corsair HX 750W
Win7 32bit

I have directX 11 (comes with win7) and have run directxwebsetup to confirm I'm running the newest version.
I have installed the newest NVIDIA drivers and after installation, dxdiag correctly show that I have directx version 11 under the first tab ("system"). The next tab ("display") also shows I'm running dx11 under DDI version. However, every time I restart the computer, the DDI version shows up as 9Ex (directx 9).But the dx version under "system" still shows dx11.
This leads to the fact that no directx11-demanding game will run - I will just get a notice that I need dx11. The only solution is to reinstall the Nvidia driver which resets DDI again to dx11, and I can run dx11 games. But then it resets again with every restart, and it is quite obnoxious to need to reinstall the nvidia drivers after every reinstall. I have searched the web for a solution and there seem to be a lot of people with a similar problem, yet I have not found a solution.
Anyone here knows what might be causing the error?? All help appreciated!
/FH

FudderHalix

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

I don't get it, how does the fact that I'm using 32bit affect the memory? The main reason I haven't switched to 64-bit is that I heard that a lot of 32-bit programs (all?) that don't have a 64-bit version do not work under 64bit windows.. is that true? Can you name any reason why someone would NOT change to 64 bit? What are the cons?
Back to topic... I've reinstalled drivers using driver sweeper, but haven't tried restarting the computer yet. DX11 works for the time being... we'll see what happens after next restart.
/FH

Kari

Splendid
the 32 bit limits the memory address space to 2^32=4294967296bits=4G, thats the amount of addresses windows can use to point in different places in memories. This includes every possible memory chip in the system that windows has acces to, like vram on the gcards, hdd caches etc, and then whats left of the addresses gets asigned to the system main memory. End result is windows can't use all of the ram you have installed into the rig, and the more vram you have the less ram can be used...
With 64 bit os that address space grows into something astronomically large, ie 2^64... (should be enough for the next century)

Only 'programs' that have to be 64bit are the drivers, and at this point most (if not all) even slightly modern stuff has working 64bit drivers available. I haven't have any problems with it. But then again if you have some old printer or something that has been discontinued years ago that wont work with generic drivers, you might run into some bumps...

I'm running lots of 32 bit programs, in fact the 'program files (x86)' folder is 4 times the size of the folder for 64 bit programs. (win 7 keeps them separated for what ever reason)

but this doesn't help with the directX problem :D

All 64 and 32 bit programs work on a 64 bit OS. The only programs that will not work are 16 bit programs, which are basically super old DOS type stuff that is completely an utterly obsolete.

Almost all my programs are 32 bit including games and I've never had an issue.

lol 32-BIT windows cant even see your 3GB of gpu memory...
Plus you are using an 890FX chipset which only supports crossfire...
If i was you i would read up before doing daft things.

Due to the SLI occurring on a single card, it will still work. You don't need an SLI MB to use a 590, just like you don't need a crossfire board for a 6990.

FudderHalix

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Well, I did like wolfram23 suggested and uninstalled all Nvidia drivers, rebooted, ran Driver Sweeper, rebooted, and did a clean install. But same damn thing happened again the next time I rebooted the computer. No solution in sight I'm afraid :(
Anyways, thanks for explaining the reason as to why changing to 64bit is better. If I understand correctly, if a game is using say 2 GB "normal" memory, then it can only utilize 2 out of my 3 GB video RAM (under Win7 32-bit). Then again, how many games use more than 1 GB RAM? A lot? Anyways, I'm considering changing to 64bit.

Anyone with any bright ideas how to solve the DirectX issue? Like I said, seems to be a common problem, but noone knows how to solve it...

/FH

justme1977

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Its even worse, 32bit OS only sees 4gb, you have 4gb ram, 3gb vram, some cache from your hard-drive, etc... in total you have over 7gb of ram.
So its not witch game utilise more then 2gb. Maybe windows only gives you less then 1gb of usable ram.
With so much ram going 64bit isn't an option its an order :p.

I don't believe that is true. Each source of ram should be isolated.

Status
Not open for further replies.