Shocking Rage frames on HD5970

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Hi folks,
I was just wondering if anyone else with an HD 5970 had horrendous frame rates in Rage? The strange thing is if I alter the settings from either low to high it makes absolutely no difference to the frame rates. After playing for about half an hour I checked my video temps and it was only at 68C, usually with a graphically intense game I'm into the high 80's so it says to me the card is not being stretched much. I know after reading various forums, ID claim the problem is with the drivers and i'm waiting for the next patch to see if ID can improve this. It looks like another episode of sloppy programming to me to take advantage the of the consoles and the PC gets the crap again as usual. I'm surprised at ID as it made it's name in PC shooters. Very dissapointed so far!!! :fou:

gmcizzle

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
On the day RAGE came out I heard it was literally unplayable. Since a 5970 is dual-GPU, it might be a while before either drivers come out to support RAGE properly or id fixes it.

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Yep I'm so frustrated, and so annoyed at ID. I thought they would make the effort with the PC version since this is what made them famous. Lets hope they fix this ASAP!

G

Also there are blue textures in whole the game when playing RAGE with ATi cards. that was fixed but RAGE and AMD seems to have problems.

injanear

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
The latest Catalyst 11.11a drivers fix that problem. AMD is now mostly to blame on this now but Id should not have used the more advanced OpenGL extensions knowing that they were broken with the drivers leading up to the release of Rage. Depending on AMD to have drivers ready for the release of Rage was a big mistake. Even after the release, AMD has been fixing and breaking Rage which each Catalyst release and interim release.

I'm a visualization software engineer and I'm about to switch all of our scientific instruments back to Nvidia. AMD's cavalier attitude about driver releases and claims of performance increases is grating on many.

Earnie

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005

dont let the door hit you on the ass on the way out!

G

Several months ago I've read somewhere that John Carmack obviously mentioned about his favorite of Graphics that would be NVIDIA or something like that.
It could be a commercial tactic too. who knows behind the scene. if I wrote programs and designed the game I liked my game could playable on more Graphics architectures as well so I tested my game on those platforms specially when there are just about 2 major GPU makers for PCs.