• Graphics Cards
  • Monitors
  • HDMI
  • 3D
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 25, 2011 6:44:41 PM

I am shopping around for a high quality 120hz LED backlight LCD monitor that is 3D ready. I have found one that I believe suits my needs. You can view this product here.

I have been reading reviews about 120hz monitors and have heard that HDMI does not support 120hz refresh rate. This seems extremely odd to me, considering 120hz is the new standard in quality.

I do not want to buy this $500+ monitor just to end up being disappointed by not having 120hz with my HDMI hookup.

Also about 3D. This monitor comes with a pair of 3D glasses and I hear that 3D is achieved by connecting a DisplayPort cable from your graphics cards (each of my MSI Twin Frozr III R6950's has two displayports each) and into the monitor.

Do I have to have both HDMI and DisplayPort hookups to achieve 3D? I am extremely confused about the whole situation and am not willing to dish out $500 just to be disappointed in the end.

Please help me.

More about : extremely confused 120hz hdmi

a c 208 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 25, 2011 6:49:43 PM

Use the Display Port connector from the video card to the monitor, that removes all the limitations of HDMI and solves all your problems. You only need one connection from the GPU to the monitor so you could use either HDMI or DP, but display port is the much better choice and fixes the issues with HDMI not supporting 120 Hz 1080P playback on all cables.
m
l
November 25, 2011 6:58:57 PM

Also, it might be worth to note that apparently with the relevant firmware/software patches HDMI version 1.3 can output 3D even tho the HDMI standard only states that 1.4/a can do this. It ends up down to/possibly in part with the chip set in the HD3DTV to interpret the data and construct the stereoscopic double frame image (apparently its not a problem for most modern HD3DTV to do this).
m
l
!