Sign in with
Your question

Constant computer freezing! Nvidia Driver issues?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 25, 2011 6:56:20 PM

Now I don't know what seems to be the issue, and I'll admit the problem has existed before but I've been trying to play the Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta and it has never been this bad!

Basically my computer keeps freezing and if there's any sound playing at the time it creates a horrible buzzing/glitchy loop sound. I've read some stuff about it being driver issues but I've updated/downgraded etc and it hasn't worked.

I'm praying that it's something specifiaclly to do with this beta rather than hardware malfunction but any help would be greatly appreciated!
a b Î Nvidia
November 25, 2011 6:59:59 PM

Need alot more info :) 

What happens exactly when it crashes, do you get a bluescreen?, does the PC restart?

Does it only happen when playing star wars?

What is your PC's full system spec?
November 25, 2011 7:14:10 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Need alot more info :) 

What happens exactly when it crashes, do you get a bluescreen?, does the PC restart?

Does it only happen when playing star wars?

What is your PC's full system spec?

Basically its happened a lot before in the past, although not the whole time, but SW:TOR seems to have made it ALOT worse. And it doesn't seem to only happen when in game. It also can happen when using other applications (but as I said, its only ever been rare until I started this beta).

There's no bluescreen and it just unfreezes after a little while. Literally the picture will freeze and if there is audio it will make a horrible glitchy buzzing noise where the sound has frozen. A couple of times a little pop up appears after it unfreezes stating the video driver stopped working and had recovered, but this isn't the case all the time.

My full system specs are:

Asus P8P67 pro mobo
Intel i7 2600k @ 3.8GHz
8gb Dual DDR3 corsair vengence memory
Asus GTX580 direct cuii
1tb Samsung HDD
XFX 850w black edition psu
Related resources
Anonymous
November 25, 2011 7:32:47 PM

So you sure its not cause of overclocking your cpu?
Whats the CPU Cooler?
November 25, 2011 7:41:16 PM

Quote:
So you sure its not cause of overclocking your cpu?
Whats the CPU Cooler?

The cooler is an artic cooling freezer pro rev 2.

I can't imagine it would be the overclocking as intel sell that cpu with 3.8GHz as it's pre programmed "turbo mode" speed. But I don't know, maybe, I'm up for any advice to be honest right now :/ 
a b Î Nvidia
November 25, 2011 7:52:33 PM

If it was the "Overclock" you'd get bluescreens, however the CPU isn't overclocked...

The hardware spec's seem fine, I'd be tempted to re-install windows or maybe try the graphics card in another PC or try a different monitor and cable.

I take it you've tried different drivers?
Anonymous
November 25, 2011 7:52:38 PM

2600K default clock is 3.4 I think. and :
1) Be sure you have the latest MB BIOS
2)Be sure there is no conflict between your Audio drivers and VGA|HDMI audio drivers
3)TO BE HONEST , If I were you I would install a fresh Windows and drivers and then
4)Run Prime95 and check your temp using realtemp for several hourse.

these things are the least you may have also checked before, if not check them. hope it helps
November 25, 2011 7:58:46 PM

cheers for the advice. I never thought about the possibilty of the MB drivers being out dated. Can't say I've ever updated MB drivers myself. If I can find the discs I'll definately try the windows install again. I forgot to mention I am running windows 7 64bit in my spec. Don't know if that helps.
!