3d game rendering effects

G

i have a question about the rendering effects on 3d games (mainly quake, quake II, halflife, and unreal)

in the shortcuts for the games i am entering the rendering commands for certain effects like shadows, lighting and processing effects. the only command i have been able to get to work is the "-console" command for halflife.

here are the effects i would mainly like to use:

gl_monolights 1
r_shadows 1
cl_adaptive
gl_flipmatrix 1
gl_ztrick 1

i have gone to the website http://www.planethalflife.com/commands for a complete list of available rendering effects. i am not running a server on my machine.

half life: v1.1.0.7
quake II: 3.20
quake: (quakeworld 2.30)

machine:

amd k6-2 500mhz
196mb ram
3dfx voodoo 3 2000
WinMe
creative awe 64 gold
10/100 sis nic
creative usb modem blaster v.90/kflex
zip usb 100
creative 52x turbo cdrom
hp 4x4x32 cdrw
ms internet pro kb and ms optical explorer mouse

all drivers are current and working properly with no conflicts.

(i will ony have this system for another week until my new parts arrive:
celeron 700 with abit vh6-2 with via 686b, sb live value, dlink 10/100 nic, diamond tnt2 ultra, promise udma 66 ide card - for my creative cdrom -, creative dxr3 dvd 8x, zip 250 internal, including previous parts not replaced) sorry... i'm a budget shopper :eek:) obviously i will not be able to use a couple of the commands listed as they are specifically written for 3dfx cards after i upgrade.....

anywho... i have not been able to have my games render shadows. is there any certian way i should put the commands in the command line of the shortcut so they will work..?? this is the command line for my half life shortcut (with the console command and shadows)

F:\SIERRA\Half-Life\hl.exe -console -r_shadows 1

i have no rendered shadows on half life... i even took out the console command to see if that made a difference... it didn't.

i entered the command in my q2 shortcut... no shadows... so i added a + and then a - in front of the command (+/-r_shadows 1) i got the message when the game was trrying to load "unknown command: r_shadows"

does anyone know how i can put these commands in so i will be able to have the effects i would like..?? is there a certain way i have to enter them if i am running more than one command..??

thanks in advance...

Mike

if you want to hear the pitter patter of little feet, put shoes on your cat.

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You have to be in the game, press the 'Tilde'key to display the engine console (for Half-Life) and then you enter your command. Not in the command line within Windows.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

G

ok..... the funny thing is that in win98 i used to be able to put the commands for rendering effects in the command line of the shortcut.... did this change in winme..??? and also... what about q2..???

MS.crap has performed an illegal operation in run.suck. If the problem persists reboot to Red Hat.

G

ok... i used the tilde key to enter the commands for r_shadows 1... and i got the repsonse:

unknown command r_shadows

so now what do i do..???

anyone have any ideas..??

thanx

MS.crap has performed an illegal operation in run.suck. If the problem persists reboot to Red Hat.