cheap modem

G

Hi,
I bought myself a new winmodem (webexcel PCI FAX/MODEM, MD530 internal, it has ESS ES2838 chip). For some reason it freezes my PC, sometimes when i turn my PC on it shows me blank screen. Usually it freezes after ram test. I took out almost every component in my PC except vga, ram and cpu but still no difference. I tried to change some bios settings, also no help. Please help me ...

--------------
wanna roll the dice?
have to pay the price!

G

because without the this modem everything works fine and with another modem it also works fine. i just been told that it could be the ESS chip that just wont work with my MB(eaglemax), i even tried another winmodem with ESS chip and it also frosed.

--------------
wanna roll the dice?
have to pay the price!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Then it's probably causing a conflict with your southbridge, or something. What motherboard do you have? Would it be too much effort to take it back and get something else?

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

G

i tried to give it back to seller for refund, unfortunately they dont want it back :-( .. guess i have to find a fool who buys it from me ...

--------------
wanna roll the dice?
have to pay the price!

G

whats the difference, if my PC freezes during the boot?

--------------
wanna roll the dice?
have to pay the price!

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Ive used those modems plenty of times with no probs, very odd, as mentioned, could be a conflict with your mobo, have you tried different pci slots? what board is it?

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

My MB is eaglemax PCcel (M726) not produced anymore and i have tried almost everything, different slot, different bios configutation, different type of vga (i have AGP, since AGP board requires IRQ i tried ISA vga) etc.
I disabled even onboard IDE controllers to free up some IRQs ... im runing out of options here ...

--------------
wanna roll the dice?
have to pay the price!