Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Planning a new build

Last response: in Windows 7
May 18, 2009 5:07:35 AM

I'm planning to build myself a new comfuser & have a few quick q's.

When it's finally RTM, should I go w/Win7 32 or 64Bit?
What are the differences between 32 & 64Bit?
How does the RC run concerning older games (RtCW, Hulk, all DOOM games, Madden '08, etc.) that ran fine when I was running XP Pro?

On a seperate subject, I'm thinking about getting either:
1TB WD-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136317
1TB Seagate-http://shop1.frys.com/product/5478279
Do these make good primary OS drives?

Right now, this is my comfuser:
Case: Antec Super Lanboy
Mobo: Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe
CPU: AMD Athlon64 4000+
Mem: 2Gigs of Kingston DDR3200
GPU: BFG NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT OC
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE 250Gig SATA
OD1: Lite-On DVD-RW SOHW-1633S
OD2: LG SuperMulti w/Lightscribe GSA-H10L
MCR: Y-E Data Diskette/Card Reader YD-8V03

I'm planning to do a Dual-Boot w/XP Pro mainly because my games just will not work on Vista, no matter what I try. Hence the Q about XP gaming on Win7; want to know if I need to Dual-Boot Win7 & XP.

More about : planning build

a b $ Windows 7
May 18, 2009 1:35:39 PM

Go with the 64bit OS. It references more RAM and is just as reliable as 32 these days.
Most older games are OK, but not all. You'll need to ask about specific games.

You're planning a NEW build? with a 7600GT?

What's your budget and what will you use it for?

Windows 7 will have XP virtualised within it so that should sort out your older games. I will admit, I've not tried XP mode though.
May 18, 2009 6:28:29 PM

I was thinking I should go 64Bit, just wanted another opinion.

Not exactly sure if I'm staying w/my 7600GT OC just yet, haven't really made a budget...yet; just getting ideas. But it's mainly going to be used for everyday light Office, Photoshop, VLC, WinRAR & gaming for myself, wife & 4yr. old.

I can't DL Win7 RC because I don't have a LiveID nor do I want one, so I need to get it another way. But from what I've read & some video, it looks really good & seems faster than the Vista I have; most likely going to get it
Related resources
May 18, 2009 9:06:25 PM

There are some programs that do not work under 64bit, but they either will soon or they will follow the dodo to the great graveyard in the sky.

However, it is still kinda early days for 64bit and I suspect that you can install the 32bit version and then later replace it with the 64bit version if you have the courage to do a clean install at a later date (which some people recommend as a regular routine. Then again, some people recommend 'colonic irrigation' so I don't know that it's worthwhile taking recommendations too seriously).
May 18, 2009 9:16:11 PM

Quote:

Then again, some people recommend 'colonic irrigation'...

It's 5:15 PM on the East coast, I've been awake more than 12 hours and this is the first laugh I've had all day. :) 
June 6, 2009 2:09:04 AM

I'm most likely going w/Win7 64Bit, but other than the OS & MCR (planning to upgrade it), will my Mobo & CPU be sufficient? Yes they are old, but work fine for me right now. If the Mobo won't do, how about the Asus M3N78-EM (good price at Fry's) & an AMD Phenom X3?
June 6, 2009 3:58:56 AM

Sorry for being stupid, but what does RTM mean?
June 7, 2009 10:42:26 PM

808030 said:
Sorry for being stupid, but what does RTM mean?

It's two days later, so hopefully you have figured this out on your own by now, but if not: Realease to Manufacture.
!