KVM switch and extra mouse buttons

dmisit

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
I have a question about KVM switches. It doesn't seem to be talked about much. Do they support the advanced features of mice and keyboards. I purchased an IOGear GCS1712 to share a Mac and PC together with. It works, but my Logitech MX700 mouse becomes a 2 button mouse and the Logitech Elite keyboard loses all the special buttons. IOGear says this:

The reason the extra keys are not mapped is because the vendor ID number is not permitted to be flashed on EPROM chips because it would be against the law. In other words the have their own paten VID.

If this is so, why doesn't anyone talk about this shortcoming of KVMs? I realize for a group of servers, this is not a big deal, but for everyday use, I have become attached to some of the special mappings for my mouse and keyboard. I have also seen posts here that seem to indicate that these extra features are supported. Will only certain mice and/or KVMs support the extra features?

Also, if what IOGear says is true, does anyone know how hard it would be to rewrite the EEPROM with the VIDs for my particular device. That way, my KVM would work with my mouse and keyboard. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i use an optical mouse explorer with a belkin switch. the extra buttons work fine for me.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!