Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Toms contests

Last response: in Forum Feedback
February 25, 2011 7:53:00 AM

Tom's Hardware Intel Core i7 Contest - February 25, 2011 - March 10, 2011

YOU MAY SUBMIT ONLY ONE ENTRY. MULTIPLE ENTRIES FROM THE SAME PERSON WILL ALL BE DISCARDED. AN ENTRANT MAY WIN ONLY ONE PRIZE. Win a Combination Intel Motherboard-Processor Prize (5 prizes) or a One Month's Supply of Sparkling ICE Water (25 prizes). Contest is limited to residents of the USA (Excluding R.I.) 18 years of age and older. Contest starts on February, 25, 2011 12:01 am, Pacific Standard Time and closes on March 10, 2011 11:59 PM, Pacific Standard Time. Results will be announced by March 31, 2011. Prizes Include: 2 x Combo Intel Core i7-990X and Intel DX58SO2 Motherboard: Value of $1261 each combo 1 x Combo Intel Core i7-980X and Intel DX58SO2 Motherboard: Value of $1261 each combo 2 x Combo Intel Core i7-950 and Intel DX58SO2 Motherboard: Value of $556 each combo 25 x one-month supply of Sparkling ICE water (two cases): Value of $54 each one-month supply The information you provide will only be used to contact you if you win.

Hi, i have a question for toms, i did not want to ask on PM because people sometimes do not bother to answer back.
Since you are an international company and also work in Europe why do you guys always make contests that are only in USA? If i call you racist you will start jumping at my neck and probably even ban me? :heink:  So i will not. I know it is your choice to do what ever you want with your contests but since you are also trying to advertise on a global market it's kind of hey guys check this out, and after that we have contests but only for USA, that's your problem not ours, who cares where you are form, you are not from USA so we don't care.

No offense intended against anybody, just want to know why you guys do not make contests for all and just USA.

More about : toms contests

a b V Motherboard
February 25, 2011 12:45:40 PM

If the prize is US based then you end up with shipping and customs costing quite a bit more, plus the additonal legal troubles. If they make a contest for US and UK then the people in the rest of europe get angry so they would have to make all european countries eligible and that would be a lot of paper work filing and likely a lot of fees.

For US based contests the state of Rhode Island is often excluded, its nothing against the people of Rhode Island, its that the state charges a filing fee for contests that will include the residents of its state, i think its $200 or something so its not really worth it, and they have gotten used to it. It would probably be good if they ran some Europe only contests, but there are just sooo many different countries in that region that it would get challenging to be able to include them all so i think they have adopted an all or nothing policy to be fair.
February 25, 2011 12:46:28 PM

I'm happy to answer your question on this.

Every nation and even states in those nations (Rhode Island for example) have different rules on contests and giveaways. To open a relatively simple contest giveaway to an international audience would require a great deal in the way of time and energy for a legal team - far exceeding the prizes themselves. Additionally, for items over a certain value there are additional shipping rules and tariffs (especially on technology items) that vary wildly from one country to another.

For smaller items we can and definitely have done contests open to international audiences - like our Tom's Hardware Hammer giveaway - but for the bigger stuff it is almost impossible for us to wrangle all the laws that apply for all entrants. It is worth it to note that our international sites themselves do hold contests and competitions local to their regions, so you may want to periodically check in if there's an international mirror of TH where you live.
Related resources
February 27, 2011 2:12:33 PM

Thank you for your answers. I hope in the future tom's hardware will expand to cover the costs and shipments to other countries as well. :)  I do not know how big are the taxes for technology items so i can not comment on that.

I would not want to win One Month's Supply of Sparkling ICE Water and you guys ship it to Europe. That would be funny.
February 27, 2011 10:12:08 PM

It's not just costs, there's just plain old red tape involved. Many countries will need a formal application to run a contest there, and you can imagine how tedious this would be multiplied many times.
February 28, 2011 12:51:18 PM

Though I do rather like the idea of shipping sparkling water or "premium luxury ice" across continents for contest prizes.
March 5, 2011 12:08:27 PM

ionut19 said:
Tom's Hardware Intel Core i7 Contest - February 25, 2011 - March 10, 2011

YOU MAY SUBMIT ONLY ONE ENTRY. MULTIPLE ENTRIES FROM THE SAME PERSON WILL ALL BE DISCARDED. AN ENTRANT MAY WIN ONLY ONE PRIZE. Win a Combination Intel Motherboard-Processor Prize (5 prizes) or a One Month's Supply of Sparkling ICE Water (25 prizes). Contest is limited to residents of the USA (Excluding R.I.) 18 years of age and older. Contest starts on February, 25, 2011 12:01 am, Pacific Standard Time and closes on March 10, 2011 11:59 PM, Pacific Standard Time. Results will be announced by March 31, 2011. Prizes Include: 2 x Combo Intel Core i7-990X and Intel DX58SO2 Motherboard: Value of $1261 each combo 1 x Combo Intel Core i7-980X and Intel DX58SO2 Motherboard: Value of $1261 each combo 2 x Combo Intel Core i7-950 and Intel DX58SO2 Motherboard: Value of $556 each combo 25 x one-month supply of Sparkling ICE water (two cases): Value of $54 each one-month supply The information you provide will only be used to contact you if you win.

Hi, i have a question for toms, i did not want to ask on PM because people sometimes do not bother to answer back.
Since you are an international company and also work in Europe why do you guys always make contests that are only in USA? If i call you racist you will start jumping at my neck and probably even ban me? :heink:  So i will not. I know it is your choice to do what ever you want with your contests but since you are also trying to advertise on a global market it's kind of hey guys check this out, and after that we have contests but only for USA, that's your problem not ours, who cares where you are form, you are not from USA so we don't care.

No offense intended against anybody, just want to know why you guys do not make contests for all and just USA.

I think you're misusing the word racist here. A country of origin does not indicate race, just nationality. If you were to term your displeasure correctly it would be "nationally biased". I leave this response because I'm tired of people misusing the concept of racism.
March 15, 2011 7:16:40 AM

I haven't misused, it was only USA based so i posted my displeasure with the contests, that part was more of an ironic post so do not extend it any more :)  . Thank you.

I wanted to know and see the reasons and i got my answers.

If the moderators want, the topic can be closed/deleted.
March 15, 2011 12:37:05 PM

What if anything about your post was ironic? Again, another word you apparently don't know the definition of. It's clear you were trying to goad the Tom's Hardware staff into a response by claiming they are racist. You did and you can't take it back by saying, "I won't".

By your logic one could say any number of things about a person if they preface it with "If I call you.." and then follow it up with "I won't". In your eyes it would be ok and you've done nothing wrong. If the prizes are that important to you quit crying and move to the USA. Or find some vendors in your area that would like to do business with Tom's Hardware and have them offer prizes in your area.

Normally I'd call someone of your caliber an uneducated, ignorant, crybaby loudmouth. I won't.
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2011 12:41:47 PM

This topic has been closed by Aford10
!