Best replacement for 6610?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

I had a 6610 for overseas trips which got damaged in an accident and
needs to be replaced. I was quite pleased with it, so getting another
6610 is an option but I'd like to reconsider the issue, just in case a
better choice is available.

Here is what I need: (0) Nokia brand (1) 900/1800 GSM, (2) Color
screen, with 5-6 lines of text, (3) 4-way scroll, (4) polyphonic rings,
(5) good memory size (6) good performace. Speakerphone, if it works
well, would be nice, but is not a make-or-break feature.

Things difficult to pin down: (1) I was pleased with the 6610's size
and weight, so something similar, at least not much heavier/bigger.
(2) Color style should be classic/sober, not wild/funky. Meaning grey,
black, and silver are ok, so are tasteful blue or yellow, but not pink,
orange or dollar signs or monster motifs. (3) Phone/keys should not
feel flimsy.

Not needed: Camera, games, video, etc. Basically, this phone is for
voice calls and text messages. It is not a computing platform or an
entertainment center.

Please suggest what would be the "best"model in your opinion and
experience. My default choice is 6610, the phone I had and was happy
with. Do you think another model would provide better quality/value?

Many thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about best replacement 6610
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

    Ajanta wrote:

    > Things difficult to pin down: (1) I was pleased with the 6610's size
    > and weight, so something similar, at least not much heavier/bigger.

    I'd say 6610, 6610i (more mamory and camera, if you don't need the
    camera consider if the 4MB vs. 625kb on the 6610 is wirth the extra)
    or 6100 (smaller than the 6610 but doesn't have a radio. Further
    essentially the same features). 6230 would also be an option but this
    one costs much more and contains more features you said you don't need.

    --
    ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site:
    johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html

    I just posted the following message (and thanks to Johan Wevers for his
    informative reply). However, as a parallel thought, I am wondering if
    there is a model without color screen, which would have all other
    modern features but by skipping color screen may provide significantly
    better battery performance? While I like color, everything else being
    equal I'd prefer better battery charge life.

    The trick is "everything else being equal". Is there a "deluxe" nokia
    without color screen or do you have to accept color if you want other
    good things? :)

    Thanks.

    I wrote:
    > I had a 6610 for overseas trips which got damaged in an accident and
    > needs to be replaced. I was quite pleased with it, so getting another
    > 6610 is an option but I'd like to reconsider the issue, just in case a
    > better choice is available.
    >
    > Here is what I need: (0) Nokia brand (1) 900/1800 GSM, (2) Color
    > screen, with 5-6 lines of text, (3) 4-way scroll, (4) polyphonic rings,
    > (5) good memory size (6) good performace. Speakerphone, if it works
    > well, would be nice, but is not a make-or-break feature.
    >
    > Things difficult to pin down: (1) I was pleased with the 6610's size
    > and weight, so something similar, at least not much heavier/bigger.
    > (2) Color style should be classic/sober, not wild/funky. Meaning grey,
    > black, and silver are ok, so are tasteful blue or yellow, but not pink,
    > orange or dollar signs or monster motifs. (3) Phone/keys should not
    > feel flimsy.
    >
    > Not needed: Camera, games, video, etc. Basically, this phone is for
    > voice calls and text messages. It is not a computing platform or an
    > entertainment center.
    >
    > Please suggest what would be the "best"model in your opinion and
    > experience. My default choice is 6610, the phone I had and was happy
    > with. Do you think another model would provide better quality/value?
    >
    > Many thanks.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

    Ajanta <ajanta@null.void> wrote:

    : I just posted the following message (and thanks to Johan Wevers for his
    : informative reply). However, as a parallel thought, I am wondering if
    : there is a model without color screen, which would have all other
    : modern features but by skipping color screen may provide significantly
    : better battery performance? While I like color, everything else being
    : equal I'd prefer better battery charge life.

    Not what you asked, but I have 6100 and 6610 and both come with
    screen savers. Thus battery life should not be a great concern.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

    Ajanta wrote:

    > I just posted the following message (and thanks to Johan Wevers for his
    > informative reply). However, as a parallel thought, I am wondering if
    > there is a model without color screen, which would have all other
    > modern features

    I know only the 6310i. But that one is much bigger than a 6610.

    > but by skipping color screen may provide significantly
    > better battery performance?

    That's where the screensaver is for.

    --
    ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site:
    johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

    On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 17:34:24 +0100, Johan Wevers <johanw@xs4all.nl>
    wrote:

    >Ajanta wrote:
    >
    >> I just posted the following message (and thanks to Johan Wevers for his
    >> informative reply). However, as a parallel thought, I am wondering if
    >> there is a model without color screen, which would have all other
    >> modern features
    >
    >I know only the 6310i. But that one is much bigger than a 6610.
    >
    >> but by skipping color screen may provide significantly
    >> better battery performance?
    >
    >That's where the screensaver is for.

    The 6310i will give you over a week's time for battery life and close
    to two weeks on just standby.

  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

    On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 14:48:42 -0800, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 17:34:24 +0100, Johan Wevers <johanw@xs4all.nl>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Ajanta wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just posted the following message (and thanks to Johan Wevers for his
    >>> informative reply). However, as a parallel thought, I am wondering if
    >>> there is a model without color screen, which would have all other
    >>> modern features
    >>
    >>I know only the 6310i. But that one is much bigger than a 6610.
    >>
    >>> but by skipping color screen may provide significantly
    >>> better battery performance?
    >>
    >>That's where the screensaver is for.
    >
    >The 6310i will give you over a week's time for battery life and close
    >to two weeks on just standby.

    The 3510i will give you a week, has a colour screen and has big
    separate keys for texting.

GSM