Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Question regarding DirectX with multiple monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 25, 2011 7:51:00 PM

Hopefully my question is simple:

I'm going to be spending on a new Dx11 GPU, preferrably Nvidia. I already have a EVGA 260 GTX, which I want to use to support my 2nd and 3rd monitors, replacing my 9800 GTX. If I buy a 570 GTX, or 560 GTX, either or, will my computer run DX10 and 11, or just DX10, with the 260?

Computer Specs:
Intel i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06Ghz
Asus Sabertooth LGA 1366
Corsair XMS 12GB DDR3 1600
2x - OCZ Vertex 2 - 90GB SSD's RAID-0
3x - WD Caviar Black - 1TB RAID-5
EVGA Nvidia 260 GTX

Thanks
-Mel
a b Î Nvidia
November 25, 2011 7:58:41 PM

Hi

You could use a GTX560/570 with one monitor and run games in DX11 whilst your DX10 card runs the other 2 monitors. Although you obviously cannot run the GTX260 with anything other than an other GTX260 if you want to game on all 3 monitors.

If you want to game across all three monitors in DX11 you'll need 2 DX11 compatible graphics cards.
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 8:00:52 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Although you obviously cannot run the GTX260 with anything other than an other GTX260 if you want to game on all 3 monitors.


So you're saying I can't run a GTX260, with a GTX560? Or I just cannot display the game on the two other monitors?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
November 25, 2011 8:04:32 PM

The latter.

So just to clarify you can run a GTX560 and GTX260 in the same PC, but the game will have to be on only one monitor.

You need atleast 2 cards in SLI to run nVidia surround (3 monitor gaming).
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 8:09:07 PM

Rustyy117 said:
You need atleast 2 cards in SLI to run nVidia surround (3 monitor gaming).


I thought you could only run 2 monitors (limited to the master GPU ports) with an SLI setup, and have to add a 3rd GPU inorder to achieve a 3rd monitor? Is this wrong?
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 25, 2011 8:12:59 PM

melharts said:
I thought you could only run 2 monitors (limited to the master GPU ports) with an SLI setup, and have to add a 3rd GPU inorder to achieve a 3rd monitor? Is this wrong?


Here's some info for you from nVidia: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-surround-system-...

In sort you can run 3 monitors from 2 cards ( I did with GTX570 SLI and 3 Acer GD245HQ's)
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 8:22:23 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Here's some info for you from nVidia: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-surround-system-...

In sort you can run 3 monitors from 2 cards ( I did with GTX570 SLI and 3 Acer GD245HQ's)


Would all 3 monitors show the desktop, or only 2? -- Rephrase: Do all 3 monitors work outside of games that support 3d-vision-surround?
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 25, 2011 8:28:17 PM

melharts said:
Would all 3 monitors show the desktop, or only 2? -- Rephrase: Do all 3 monitors work outside of games that support 3d-vision-surround?


Bit of a weird one, in my experience sometimes (at random) the desktop will be displayed on the other monitors when playing a game, and other times the other monitors will be black (not switched off, just black). Also you can't use the desktop whilst in a full screen game as you cant drag your cursor across.

Multi monitors is great for multi tasking, but not great for gaming unless your using nvidia surround or AMD eye-finity.
m
0
l
November 25, 2011 8:51:07 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Bit of a weird one, in my experience sometimes (at random) the desktop will be displayed on the other monitors when playing a game, and other times the other monitors will be black (not switched off, just black). Also you can't use the desktop whilst in a full screen game as you cant drag your cursor across.

Multi monitors is great for multi tasking, but not great for gaming unless your using nvidia surround or AMD eye-finity.



Hmm, kind of hit on my question, but not fully answered: If playing a game that doesn't support nvidia surround, would the other monitors be black, or still viewable?

Most of the time when I game, I simply have my game (center screen -- not full screen), Firefox (right screen), and TS/vent, gadgets and other stuff (left screen), so that I can use all screens, like you said multi-tasking. Would this be viable with Nvidia surround, and SLI'd GPU's. Also, is the Nvidia Surround toggled, or automated?

Thanks.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 25, 2011 9:02:57 PM

melharts said:
Hmm, kind of hit on my question, but not fully answered: If playing a game that doesn't support nvidia surround, would the other monitors be black, or still viewable?

Most of the time when I game, I simply have my game (center screen -- not full screen), Firefox (right screen), and TS/vent, gadgets and other stuff (left screen), so that I can use all screens, like you said multi-tasking. Would this be viable with Nvidia surround, and SLI'd GPU's. Also, is the Nvidia Surround toggled, or automated?

Thanks.

Thats what I was saying, sometimes the other monitors are black, and sometimes I can see the desktop (or what ever is on the other monitors), doesn't matter what game or settings.. may just be an issue with my setup.

You have to configure nVidia surround

Here's a vid (the guy uses the same monitors as me) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2PXFpqi00k
m
0
l
!