CM Storm Trooper front panel mysteries

embryo 3

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012
I'm in the process of finishing my first build. I'm using the CM Storm Trooper case. I was about to complete the cable management on the back and close things up when I noticed at the back of what I'm guessing is the SSD hot-swap bay a green board with a male 4-prong molex plug and a SATA plug. Are there supposed to be cables coming off of these plugs??? If so, why doesn't the owner's manual mention that. If not, what are those plugs for?

A somewhat related question: The hard drive activity light is never lit even though the 2-pin IDE_LED is plugged in correctly. Is there a wiring issue with the font panel of this case??? Also, is there supposed to be a 2-pin system power LED (PLED) coming out of the front panel? If so, I sure can't find it.

I don't want to finalize the assembly of my system only to find out later that there are some issue that will require my tearing it apart.

Thanks a lot! Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Super3Slug

Honorable
May 20, 2012

First off, i also own the Cooler master cm storm trooper case.
Assuming you're talking about the power led, that doesn't require a front panel connector as it is always on, its just on when the front panel gets power.

The HDD activity LED isnt lit all the time, it only ever comes on when theres activity, my HDD does this frequently. Although if youre using SSD's in this build i have heard that some SSD's don't actually trigger the light to come on at all.

Secondly on your first question: I don't understand why the sata cable for the x-dock wasnt included. but it isn't and yes if you want to use the hotswap ssd bay you're going to have to connect a molex and hook up a relevant sata cable to your motherboard.

Hope that clears things up and good luck with the build im part way through an upgrade using this case myself.

G

Same issue but i have plenty of molex plugs for the xdock just the power led cable not there. Am i right in understand your thread that the power LED is not required. also i take it the USB 3.0 cable that features on the top is new and is not a feature that appeared during the LGA 775 as i have just found. not that i need it but would like to know if there is a cross over socket so i could attach it to a standard usb MB pin port. otherwise i won't bother.

Super3Slug

Honorable
May 20, 2012
Same issue but i have plenty of molex plugs for the xdock just the power led cable not there. Am i right in understand your thread that the power LED is not required. also i take it the USB 3.0 cable that features on the top is new and is not a feature that appeared during the LGA 775 as i have just found. not that i need it but would like to know if there is a cross over socket so i could attach it to a standard usb MB pin port. otherwise i won't bother.

your are correct, a Power LED lead isnt required due to it being on when the front panel is powered with the system.

on your other question:
i'm assuming you mean that you cant find an internal usb 3.0 header to 2.0 adapter, in which case i havent been able to find one either unfortunately. No case manufacturer that has these adapters has as of yet started to sell these adapters seperately to their cases.

Shame really as i have the same problem you do in that regard.