Sign in with
Your question

Wifes new computer

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 25, 2011 10:43:41 PM

Just bought a pre-packaged DELL Inspiron 560 from walmart. Not a bad deal for whats given. Her first computer burnt up after a thunderstorm that completely fried her motherboard. - also bought a new surge protector lol. But I've been looking online at everyones diffrent Graphic card upgrade ideas but everyones computer specs seems to be diffrent. Cant find where to look for my PSU - wattage. and what recommendations would be made to let them computer play World of Warcraft decently and atleast play Skyrim - even at the lowest settings if needed. Shes a complete Bethseda nut! Any help will be appreciated :D 

More about : wifes computer

a c 260 U Graphics card
November 25, 2011 11:06:56 PM

1) Usually, pre built pc's use a psu with only the minimum capacity needed to run the bought configuration. To see what you have, open up the case, and look for the required UL data plate on the psu. In particular, look at the total wattage, and, more importantly, the number of amps available on the +12v lines. That is what is needed for better graphics.

2) Minimum requirements for skyrim is a card with 512mb of ram and dx9 capable. I suppose you could try using the integrated graphics and see how you do.

3) If you need a stronger card, you probably need to get one that is entirely powered by the motherboard pcie slot. No aux 6 pin power connectors.
That might be something like a 6670. Past that, you are looking at a psu replacement also.
m
l
a c 253 U Graphics card
November 25, 2011 11:15:22 PM

If it is a prebuilt Dell computer then you can look for what they call the "service tag" on the case and then go to the dell site and put in the service tag number and it will come up with a web page that has all the components listed for that computer. It will also tell you what you can upgrade to with what is in the computer.
m
l
Related resources
November 25, 2011 11:17:19 PM

Thank you for the response. After posting I remade a post and added all my following System Specs. Found that my PSU is 300W +12v 3.3

My intergrated Graphics are unable to handle the gameplay of Skyrim,
Its extremly choppy and almost unbearable to play.

OS win7 64 bit
GPU intel g45/43 express chipset
CPU intel pentium i5 dual core.
and 6gigs of Ram DDR3

its not the greatest computer and I understand I cant expect much, but on a low budget income and would just like to be able to play the games we enjoyed such as WoW and Skyrim and other such titles
m
l
November 25, 2011 11:22:03 PM

geofelt said:
1) Usually, pre built pc's use a psu with only the minimum capacity needed to run the bought configuration. To see what you have, open up the case, and look for the required UL data plate on the psu. In particular, look at the total wattage, and, more importantly, the number of amps available on the +12v lines. That is what is needed for better graphics.

2) Minimum requirements for skyrim is a card with 512mb of ram and dx9 capable. I suppose you could try using the integrated graphics and see how you do.

3) If you need a stronger card, you probably need to get one that is entirely powered by the motherboard pcie slot. No aux 6 pin power connectors.
That might be something like a 6670. Past that, you are looking at a psu replacement also.

Thank you for the response. After posting I remade a post and added all my following System Specs. Found that my PSU is 300W +12v 3.3

My intergrated Graphics are unable to handle the gameplay of Skyrim,
Its extremly choppy and almost unbearable to play.

OS win7 64 bit
GPU intel g45/43 express chipset
CPU intel pentium i5 dual core.
and 6gigs of Ram DDR3

its not the greatest computer and I understand I cant expect much, but on a low budget income and would just like to be able to play the games we enjoyed such as WoW and Skyrim and other such titles
m
l
!