Budget gaming htpc $700 max

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuss king

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
What's up guys I was wondering if someone could help me with choosing parts for a budget gaming htpc

The maximum cost would be 700 dollars but could go slightly over, although going cheaper than 700 would be optimal

I got this crazy idea that I would like a gaming HTPC with around the same specs as the new alienware x51. I just dont want to pay 1200 for the i7 processor version. Until I saw that PC i had no idea that could make a case that looked like that. I've seen the shuttle small form factors a long time ago.

I've seen in the forums that a more powerful pc can be built for less money. I own a xbox 360 and a PS3, I want to see a noticeable difference between the console and PC when i build one.

The casing does not have to be like the alienware x51 but something small enough to fit into a tv stand. As far as video resolutions go I do not see myself going further than 1920x1080 because it will be hooked up to a tv and not a higher resolution pc/gaming monitor. For the CPU I read that the i5 core 2500k is pretty good on value for gaming. Memory not sure? 1333 or 1666mhz? hdd would not have to be big probably 500gb because I have an external for pictures etc. SSD do I need one? will it increase load times on games significantly? Blueray would be nice especially if I decide to sell my ps3.

Thanks in advance!

wuss king

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Approximate Purchase date: 3months or less

Budget Range: 500-700

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming,watching movies

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers,

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: new egg or anything reliable and cheap

Parts Preferences: none

Overclocking: maybe if it will increase speed dramatically with out setting the pc on fire

SLI or Crossfire: not necessary

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: quiet pc would be nice my xbox can even get loud at times

I wish you would have asked first.

Review
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eXtreme-Power-Plus-600-W-Power-Supply-Review/1034

Why manufacturers like Cooler Master are still carrying power supplies with fake wattages is a mystery to us. We know that this is a very low-end power supply, but this doesn’t give the manufacturer the right to lie. This unit should be labeled as a 450 W unit and sold for half of its price. Being labeled as a 600 W product and sold for USD 70, it is a complete rip-off.

If you pull more than 450 W from this product, it will offer real risk to your computer, plus it provides poor efficiency, between 69.2% and 77.6%.

Status
Not open for further replies.