Would this be good for high class games?

plumel

Distinguished
May 7, 2012
I would be getting an i5 2500k processor, Asus P8H61-M Socket 1155 Motherboard 90-MIBF20-G0EAY0GZ, Asus nVIDIA 3D GeForce GT 440 Graphics Card (1GB, GDDR5) and 8GB of ram for the computer itself.
I would be recording games aswell so i wouldnt want it to lag then either. any suggestions are much appreciated. i have a budget of £260 for those 3 parts. does it need a better motherboard?

Well, you're great, obviously, with the 2500K, but the mobo and the GPU leave a LOT to be desired. An H61 mobo can NOT OC with the multiplier, so having a K series CPU with that mobo is pointless. And the GT 440 is barely entry level stuff at this point.

You need a P67/Z68/Z77 mobo (Z68 or Z77 preferably) if you care to OC, and I would suggest something in the range of a GTX 550 Ti or Radeon HD 6850 for the GPU, at least. I know that doesn't really fit your budget, but that will basically be the minimum for any decent resolution with high settings. If you're playing at lower resolutions or don't care about using high/ultra quality settings, then something a little less will work, but I can guarantee that you won't be happy with the GT 440.

plumel

Distinguished
May 7, 2012

many thanks for this response! but if you could link me to some of these mobo things coz i have no idea what ur on about! sorry for that :/ much appreciated!

plumel

Distinguished
May 7, 2012
Also by OC im guessing you mean over clock. i really dont care for over clocking that much and i dont know how (dont laugh im crap with computers) so will it provve to be much of a difference? or do u mean something completely different :/

Yeah, overclocking is what I meant, but the 2500K at stock is plenty fast enough for a 550 Ti. You could probably gain a few FPS by OC'ing, if you're playing at lower resolutions though. Still, it's a good idea to have a Z68/Z77 mobo in case you ever want to OC down the line. It would suck to not be able to if you ever want to/need to.

plumel

Distinguished
May 7, 2012

I dont see the point in getting a couple more fps for £50 and there would be no other reason to oc than games. thanks for the advice on graphics cards though

clindman

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
I'm not sure why anyone hasn't simply recommended downgrading the CPU... That's the obvious choice here. I'd go for an i3 with the 550 Ti. Probably get a Z68 as well. That would be over budget though. Clearly with your budget it makes more sense to bottleneck the GPU. 2500K is absurd overkill. Not to mention the extra money for the 'K' is unnecessary.

plumel

Distinguished
May 7, 2012
i think i will stick with my choice of 2500k, gtx 550 ti and whatever motherboard i said before, thanks all for your suggestions.
the i3 proccesor would be worse for games than the 2500k so im not changing that around