Sign in with
Your question

Watercooled pc wont boot and has a red cpu led

Last response: in Systems
January 24, 2012 8:22:07 PM

My system will not boot up and the cpu led is red,this is after I installed a watercooling kit.
My pc was working fine and running great with no problems without the watercooling kit.
I thought I would just get into watercooling for future overclocking and keeping my system running at a good temp.
I've taken the cpu out and inspected it,reapplied the thermal paste,used only one ram stick,cleared cmos.
I'm running out of options and needs help,I'm new to watercooling and it's so frustrating spending so much time on something I thought was going to be awesome to get into.Also, I bought a simple Swiftech H20-X320 HD series which I thought was a simple setup to put in because it was an all in one watercooling kit.
My setup
Asus P8P67 Deluxe Rev 3.0
I7 2600k
G.Skill DDR3 1600 PC3-12800
PSU=1000w Kingwin The Black Series
January 24, 2012 8:43:32 PM

Xeno73 said:
My system will not boot up and the cpu led is red,this is after I installed a watercooling kit.
My pc was working fine and running great with no problems without the watercooling kit.
I thought I would just get into watercooling for future overclocking and keeping my system running at a good temp.
I've taken the cpu out and inspected it,reapplied the thermal paste,used only one ram stick,cleared cmos.
I'm running out of options and needs help,I'm new to watercooling and it's so frustrating spending so much time on something I thought was going to be awesome to get into.Also, I bought a simple Swiftech H20-X320 HD series which I thought was a simple setup to put in because it was an all in one watercooling kit.
My setup
Asus P8P67 Deluxe Rev 3.0
I7 2600k
G.Skill DDR3 1600 PC3-12800
PSU=1000w Kingwin The Black Series

Have you double checked your power connections? I ran into a similar head-banger situation when I crossfired my graphics cards. I unplugged the connections from my modular power supply and when I replugged them in I hadn't fully seated all the pins.

This gave me a red cpu led and I thought I had fried something...

Realistically though, if it was all working before the switch, you must have missed something/bumped something on reassembly.
m
l
January 25, 2012 12:55:13 AM

erickoch said:
Have you double checked your power connections? I ran into a similar head-banger situation when I crossfired my graphics cards. I unplugged the connections from my modular power supply and when I replugged them in I hadn't fully seated all the pins.

This gave me a red cpu led and I thought I had fried something...

Realistically though, if it was all working before the switch, you must have missed something/bumped something on reassembly.

Yeah,I checked it to make sure and still samething,everything else is fine.
I'm wondering if I shorted anything out while I was installing the watercool kit,like the motherboard or the cpu itself.
I just recently bought these about two and half months ago,not sure if this void my warranties,it would really be a bummer.
m
l
Related resources
January 25, 2012 1:42:40 AM

make sure you plugged the pump into the cpu fan header - or jump it - otherwise no boot for you!
m
l
January 25, 2012 1:52:36 AM

medmn said:
make sure you plugged the pump into the cpu fan header - or jump it - otherwise no boot for you!

Yes,I also did that and still no boot and the cpu led is still red.
Thanks for replying,I guess I will have to take the watercooling kit out and put everything back the way it was to see if my pc is still working.
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
a c 172 à CPUs
January 25, 2012 2:10:16 AM

Stupid question:
you didn't disturb the CPU power connector did you?
m
l
January 25, 2012 4:10:20 AM

when you took out the cpu did you maybe get paste on the pins? it could cause a short if you did. did you make sure to plug in the pwm wire from the pump to the momo cpu fan header.
m
l
January 25, 2012 4:22:33 AM

one more thing, when you filled your system did you short out your psu with a wire or paper clip? if you ran it without water that could damage your cpu
m
l
January 25, 2012 5:13:40 AM

jsc said:
Stupid question:
you didn't disturb the CPU power connector did you?

No ,I didn't.
m
l
January 25, 2012 5:16:07 AM

deadlee690 said:
when you took out the cpu did you maybe get paste on the pins? it could cause a short if you did. did you make sure to plug in the pwm wire from the pump to the momo cpu fan header.

Nope, no paste on the pins and yes the plug was plugged into the cpu fan header.
m
l
January 25, 2012 5:30:06 AM

deadlee690 said:
one more thing, when you filled your system did you short out your psu with a wire or paper clip? if you ran it without water that could damage your cpu

Yes I shorted out the psu with a paper clip and did exactly what the instruction said...somewhere along the line I must've have done did something wrong.
OK,I took the watercooling kit apart and put everything back the way I had with regular heatsink fan.I'm so bummed out because now my PC would bootup quickly and shut down.So maybe I should've not even mess with watercooling and pay a pro to do it.Thought I would do it myself because I'm on a budget,now I'm probably going to have to spend more money.
Thanks everyone for trying to help out,I'm going to see if I can get this machine working somehow without the watercooling kit and report back if I do.
m
l
January 25, 2012 6:54:02 AM

i feel for you, i think we have all been there before. if you post a pic of the inside of your pc it might help.
m
l
February 5, 2012 9:54:45 PM

I'm back,looking carefully at the MB,I saw a bent pin..not sure if it was bent after a couple of times of taking the cpu out and putting it back in.I ended up getting another MB(tax Returns).. ;)  I got the EVGA Z68 FTW,got everything put together inside the case,guess what,no boot.I was about to cry..lol,so there I go back to square one again.Took everything apart,laid the MB on a piece of cardboard with just the cpu,24pin power,8 pin power,and one stick of ram outside the case,also to mention I used a new heatsink and fan to rule out other parts,and finally it booted up...all in all my old heatsink was causing this no boot.As for the bent pin on my old MB,I guess I can't return it for a replacement.
m
l
!