Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
I built a new computer yesterday with following specs:

GPU: HD 6850
CPU: intel i3-2100 (3.1GHz)
RAM: 4gb fatal1ty Ram
PSU: 850W OCZ
HDD: OCZ Agility 3 (SSD) + 2x 1TB WD

In the beggining there was no problem, but then the graphic card started crashing during Skyrim play and i got the following error in the task bar: "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"

First i thought it was overheating, but the cpu temp is 40 celsius and gpu is around the same.
I reinstalled drivers without any luck, tried older drivers without luck.

Then it also started crashing outside game, like in desktop and in web browser. Then it totally froze and i had to hard-restart.

Then someone told me that the sandforce based SSD's had some firmware problems that could lead to computer crashes. So i removed the SSD and installed windows on a mechanical disk. Still the same problem.

But it hasn't frozen outside game this time (yet)

What else can it be? :s

we_san

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
1. reseat the graphic card make sure good power connection
2. google monitoring program that record voltage and temperature.
3. try occt (or something alike) and test your graphics
4. if voltage and temp are good then it is likely faulty card

DM186

Splendid
When you recorded your temps were they during game play? because your card should handle the game with no problem. I used to get that same message on my old dell and turned out to be my drivers and because I didn't update it caused my gpu to go bad after awhile but might not be your case.

lasse189

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
I've done some recordings, did not get any errors on GPU, but did get on CPU and PSU.

i dont know how to read the test results, but here is one pic that i think showed some odd results: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/440/2011112616h40vin6.png/

DM186

Splendid
You could try another PSU and run the test. That graph shows that you have a voltage drop. Your fan on the power supply went bad. or you got a lot of dust build up. Both cause heat and could be causing problems with GPU.

we_san

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Some people experienced crash with Skyrim, so if you get trouble only with Skyrim maybe you could try this:
http://crashfixes.com/fixing-skyrim-crashes-freezes-errors-steam-crash-no-sound-lags-choppy-framerates/

nwkegan

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
May I ask how Skyrim performs on your system and what settings you use? It's very similar to mine, and I'm having issues with smoothness.

What model is your psu? Some units only provide rated power for only short periods of time (generics) and are often over rated for sustained power. Your volts should drop like this over time but should reach a low point then hover above that in a normal system.