Case for watercooling

Peds013

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Hi all,

I'm using a water cooling loop with a 360 radiator in push-pull and a single 120 also in push-pull. I'm currently using an old case that I've heavily modified.

I'm going to be to upgrading my graphics cards to a pair of 680s, but looking into it... they wont fit into my case with all my storage drives.

I am looking for a large case with loads of space, enough to fit my triple rad and my single 120 too, maybe fit a 240 rad instead of the single.

It needs to be quite sleek looking (ie. no LEDs and bulky bits of plastic hanging off it) and I'd really prefer a window.

Ideally I'd love to not have to modify it at all. I'm not overly bothered about the price, though I'm not willing to throw away vast amounts of money on something when I can spend half the price elsewhere.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in advance

Pete

Helltech

Distinguished
Mountain Mods isn't very good at all compared to CaseLabs cases in my opinion. If you have the money CaseLabs makes some of the nicest looking and practical watercooling cases. My buddy has the STH10 and it is the best case I've seen in my life, hands down.

I'd look into the Switch 810 myself since you don't want to spend a lot of money.

Peds013

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestions.

I think I'm gunna head with the NZXT switch 810. I've heard the 800Ds need modding to fit large/complicated loops in, which is a shame as they are much better looking!
Also, as nice as the mountain mods, CaseLabs, and Lian Li cases are... I cant bear to spend that much money on a case!

Thanks again!
Pete

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011

I'd agree caselab is better except for the prices....
The cheapest is 399.99. Whereas mountain mods will hook you up with a decent sized case for $250-$300.

But it's based on how much you're willing to spend.

@op, modding is one of the best parts about WC and the mods needed for the corsair cases aren't too big. Read up on some other people's build logs for the 800D before dismissing the idea of modding it cause i agree it looks nicer than the switch.

Also, you feel a lot better showing off a case that you modded a bit, even if it was as simple as cutting a few rivets off and removing some parts.

Just my two cents though, if you have very limited time or lack of any tools, the switch should be fine.

edit:
wow, i just spent an entire hour and ten minutes watching the review linked above. I love his reviews, very thorough.

Peds013

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012

Thanks for the link! its a great (though lengthy) video... though as others, I did sit and watch the whole hour lol!

One question about it though:

round about the 45 minute mark, he talks about not being able to fit a 60mm thick rad with push pull and a large CPU heatsink... I don't see why you'd have both?? Surely if you were going down the wc route you'd only have a small waterblock on it??

Can someone correct me if im wrong? but surely that's illogical?

rufus_22

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Also he was just throwing out all possibilities for that case and not pushing one in particular ... but yah .. what he ^ said some peeps just watercool the gpu's for the max temp drops but I agree ( again ) with moto that you should include both in the loop ..

airdeano

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
and why do you have a 360 rad in the first place? your old case may have been the reason you needed a 360? need more information for a better answer..

airdeano

Possibly it wasn't a necessity so much as a want?
I have far too much W/c in my rig for what it 'needs' by that logic,
maybe Op is/was the same, likes to overdo things,
plus with a gazillion hard drives, the cases airflow wouldn't have been the best I reckon
Moto

airdeano

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012

he has the air heatsink in for demonstration to show case space for air cooling. he was talking about push/pull in water cooling and iterating that motherboards with large VRM heat sinks at the top of the motherboard will have a problem as there is not enough room for push/pull without hitting the VRM stack. it was so close.

airdeano

XNine

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Don't forget, you have your own NZXT rep here to smack around. :) The Switch 810 should fit your needs nicely. :)

rufus_22

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
I,m not a huge fan of the 810 purely for aesthetic's so I feel compelled to anounce that the new limited edition matte black and or gun metal grey 810's are much more acceptable to me ... That being said I have to say its a very good case in terms of function ..... Oh and they made a small mod in the drive bays to help with rad installation ..

Peds013

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
I must say I like the white and black look, It'll match my blue mobo, gpus and the UV-blue watercooling bits and fans nicely.

I have seen the new models, but I still think I prefer the original.. I have planned it all out and I think it's gunna look sweet! (I hope!)