Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Whats the Difference bettween AMD/ATI & Nvidia

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a c 181 U Graphics card
November 26, 2011 1:25:38 AM

The question I want to ask will sound stupid. But I really would like to to know before I post something on a thread that would make me look stupid, more than the question.

There is one thing I don't know at least I have been told two different stories. Are the AMD/ATI GPU drivers the same as the Nvidia GPU drivers? My gut feeling would say yes. But I have been told yes and no. The reason I don't know is because I have only used Nvidia cards, and I would like to know for sure. I am learning more from you gentlmen and ladies, and you have help me to help other people who have similar problems that I have had. So far I have learned so much more than I have learned in A+ Computer repair on here. You all are very knowledgeable and you are all good at what you know.

Thanks ahead of time :o 

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
November 26, 2011 2:22:40 AM

"Are the AMD/ATI GPU drivers the same as the Nvidia GPU drivers?"

No.

The underlying architecture of the ATI and nVidia GPU's are different. Therefore the drivers need to be different.
a c 181 U Graphics card
November 26, 2011 2:32:21 AM

Thank you kind sir
Score
Related resources
a c 181 U Graphics card
November 26, 2011 2:32:53 AM

Best answer selected by DM186.
Score
a c 176 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
November 26, 2011 2:35:50 AM

I pretty much agree with JSC. You could think of them in high level terms however and say they are. They both work in windows to allow games to be played on the GPUs. In that since they are the same. How the drivers work are (currently) very different seeing as AMD and Nvidia have (currently) took very different routes to get to the same place.

I say currently because AMD is supposed to bring out new cards soon which will have an architecture very similar to Nvidia's. Even when they do this however they will still check to make sure you have an AMD card in your system. The drivers are made for the cards, none others.
Score
a c 181 U Graphics card
November 26, 2011 2:41:06 AM

4745454b said:
I pretty much agree with JSC. You could think of them in high level terms however and say they are. They both work in windows to allow games to be played on the GPUs. In that since they are the same. How the drivers work are (currently) very different seeing as AMD and Nvidia have (currently) took very different routes to get to the same place.

I say currently because AMD is supposed to bring out new cards soon which will have an architecture very similar to Nvidia's. Even when they do this however they will still check to make sure you have an AMD card in your system. The drivers are made for the cards, none others.

Thank you to for helping me out
Score
a c 169 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
November 26, 2011 5:55:27 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!