Master Boot Record

September 14, 2004 4:45:19 PM

I purchased my computer with XP installed.
I DO NOT HAVE a startup CD.
I can't boot from the CD I don't have.
I need to use "fixmbr".

Can I download a CD image of the Recovery Console?
Can I get the files on a floppy?

More about : master boot record

September 14, 2004 6:03:20 PM

Whoever sold you the computer ripped you off if XP was already installed and
you were not provided with a CD or instructions on how to make one from the
info probably stored on your hard drive.

"ACGNJ" <acgnj@acgnj.org> wrote in message
>I purchased my computer with XP installed.
> I DO NOT HAVE a startup CD.
> I can't boot from the CD I don't have.
> I need to use "fixmbr".
>
> Can I download a CD image of the Recovery Console?
> Can I get the files on a floppy?
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 7:02:15 PM

The 'fixmbr' command is only available when you are using the Recovery Console.
You can only install the Recovery Console if you have your Windows XP CD.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"ACGNJ" wrote:

| I purchased my computer with XP installed.
| I DO NOT HAVE a startup CD.
| I can't boot from the CD I don't have.
| I need to use "fixmbr".
|
| Can I download a CD image of the Recovery Console?
| Can I get the files on a floppy?
Related resources
September 14, 2004 8:57:52 PM

If you buy a new computer, chances are, you WILL NOT get any CD. This is
true of HP. They rely on the built in 'System Restore' or 'System Recovery'.
However, HP does provide instructions on how to create your own CDs. or DVD.

> Whoever sold you the computer ripped you off if XP was already installed
and
> you were not provided with a CD or instructions on how to make one from
the
> info probably stored on your hard drive.
>
> "ACGNJ" <acgnj@acgnj.org> wrote in message
> >I purchased my computer with XP installed.
> > I DO NOT HAVE a startup CD.
> > I can't boot from the CD I don't have.
> > I need to use "fixmbr".
> >
> > Can I download a CD image of the Recovery Console?
> > Can I get the files on a floppy?

Anonymous
September 15, 2004 10:04:46 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q310/9...