Master Boot Record

I purchased my computer with XP installed.
I DO NOT HAVE a startup CD.
I can't boot from the CD I don't have.
I need to use "fixmbr".

Can I download a CD image of the Recovery Console?
Can I get the files on a floppy?
4 answers Last reply
More about master boot record

    Whoever sold you the computer ripped you off if XP was already installed and
    you were not provided with a CD or instructions on how to make one from the
    info probably stored on your hard drive.

    "ACGNJ" <acgnj@acgnj.org> wrote in message
    >I purchased my computer with XP installed.
    > I DO NOT HAVE a startup CD.
    > I can't boot from the CD I don't have.
    > I need to use "fixmbr".
    >
    > Can I download a CD image of the Recovery Console?
    > Can I get the files on a floppy?

    The 'fixmbr' command is only available when you are using the Recovery Console.
    You can only install the Recovery Console if you have your Windows XP CD.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

    How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "ACGNJ" wrote:

    | I purchased my computer with XP installed.
    | I DO NOT HAVE a startup CD.
    | I can't boot from the CD I don't have.
    | I need to use "fixmbr".
    |
    | Can I download a CD image of the Recovery Console?
    | Can I get the files on a floppy?

    If you buy a new computer, chances are, you WILL NOT get any CD. This is
    true of HP. They rely on the built in 'System Restore' or 'System Recovery'.
    However, HP does provide instructions on how to create your own CDs. or DVD.

    > Whoever sold you the computer ripped you off if XP was already installed
    and
    > you were not provided with a CD or instructions on how to make one from
    the
    > info probably stored on your hard drive.
    >
    > "ACGNJ" <acgnj@acgnj.org> wrote in message
    > >I purchased my computer with XP installed.
    > > I DO NOT HAVE a startup CD.
    > > I can't boot from the CD I don't have.
    > > I need to use "fixmbr".
    > >
    > > Can I download a CD image of the Recovery Console?
    > > Can I get the files on a floppy?

    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q310/9/94.ASP

    War on the Pachyderms Terrorists
    http://www.counterpunch.org/wilson09012004.html
    "ACGNJ" <acgnj@acgnj.org> wrote in message news:0dc601c49a93$5d62c2c0$a601280a@phx.gbl...
    > I purchased my computer with XP installed.
    > I DO NOT HAVE a startup CD.
    > I can't boot from the CD I don't have.
    > I need to use "fixmbr".
    >
    > Can I download a CD image of the Recovery Console?
    > Can I get the files on a floppy?

Configuration Boot CD-Rom Windows XP