Sign in with
Your question

Hd 6950 2gb bf3 crashing,

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 26, 2011 1:47:01 AM

Hello,

im running bf3 on low med high and getting the same crash over and over.

im running GPU-Z and the load goes to 100% the temps stay under 54 and it just crashes to the desktop.

More about : 6950 2gb bf3 crashing

November 26, 2011 5:56:37 AM

Does it only happen in BF3 ?
m
l
November 26, 2011 6:09:38 AM

Hello & Welcome.
Your system specs ? Your monitor resolution ?
m
l
Related resources
November 26, 2011 10:48:43 AM

i have the same error and its not only your card it is in many peoples card.
no matter amd or nvidia 5970 or 480 or 295. follow the link i post , update all drivers and if u get 'GetDeviceRemovedReason' then start the game again and again and it will start.
if u r talking about crashing while playing(sounds hang) did u unlock and oc it ?
i unlocked mine and when i raise the clocks too much (like above 925 and 1390) , then the game would crash.
if u did oc , then use msi kombustor or some other program to see if it is crashing.
if the game is crashing to desktop , then the only reason could be drivers
link - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/115206-13-battlefield...
m
l
November 30, 2011 6:29:57 PM

Sorry for not posting more was in a rush lol.

my specs are more then enough to play it on high at LEAST.

but atm i can barely play it on mediums.

the case stays at an even 50 at idle and it barely gets to 65 on a full load on highs and one ultra.

but after looking at the after burner log. its showing at 65 C it is "overheating" and crashes my game, and it makes no sense.

Specs : Intel core i5 2500k 3.3-3.6GHz sandy bridge.

8gb of mushkin blackline.

MSi Twin frozr II 6950 HD 2gb

550W PSU Thermaltake toughpower

GIGABYTE GA-z68p-ds3 motherboard.

i have all my drivers and i ran the benchmarks fine, barely any fps drops

also have a samsung 19 inch monitor at 1600*1200 max lol but im running at 1280*960
m
l
December 1, 2011 10:58:33 AM

simply psu problem , try 650w
i have almost same rig , have 650w and get no problems
m
l
December 1, 2011 11:12:46 AM

I would suggest also trying a different PSU. If I am not mistaken (correct me if I am) older Thermaltake PSU's don't have a very good reputation for being a quality product. I know the newer ones do great but I could be wrong here. Either way, the 6950's MINUMUM requirements are 550w, and while most games won't push a card like this to its limits, BF3 actually does cause its that crazy taxing on hardware.

I would seriously try new drivers and a new PSU and see if that helps ya.
m
l
December 2, 2011 3:46:13 AM

yea a new psu is what i think is gonna be needed.

also i noticed when i turn settings to medium except for texture and one other to high it doesnt crash AS much. but if i want to play on all high, which should be no problem. im gonna need a new psu. but the temp did register at like 75 on z gpu.

which is quite hot.

so any recommendation on a psu?

not extremely expensive but resonable.
m
l
December 2, 2011 7:36:34 AM

get cooler master 600w or 650w
according to additional needs
m
l
December 15, 2011 10:02:40 AM

I have a sapphire 6950 OCd to 880 and 1375 and also flicked the switch to increase shaders. Since the last driver upgrade a week or so ago i keep getting the sound hanging and freeze or a white scree in bf3.

I have a seasonic m12 psu... Would have thought this could handle it...

Also have x4 955, 8g ram

Any ideas?
m
l
December 15, 2011 4:55:05 PM

if you think it's psu related, run both furmark and prime95 at the same time (only for a minute though). This will give you your max power consumption. The max TDP of a 6950 is 200W, so 550W should be able to handle it...
m
l
December 15, 2011 10:45:37 PM

Cheers. What voltage should i be running when running at 880 and 1375? Currently on 1.1v...
m
l
December 26, 2011 3:28:20 AM

i now have a 700 watt atx corsair power supply, and i played a few rounds on seine crossing on default settings which is ultra texture and high everything else and 16xaa and hbao and everything went pretty good.

but now i cant play any more maps changed settings to high and it played a bit more.

so what can be the issue now?

heat isnt an issue in the case, but the card is still hitting like high 70's

so it may be a heat issue with the 6950 but still it should run on highs.
m
l
February 3, 2012 8:40:25 PM

the issue is still present,

and it sure if making me angry.

but for ONE day i had settings on auto and it played for like 4 hours straight no crash.

and this was after a games refresh on origin and a repair install.

after that one session, it started crashing every 5 minutes like usually.

im going to resort to a complete system wipe and try again but i REALLY dont want to
m
l
February 4, 2012 12:28:29 AM

Have you tried turning off MSAA and AO in the game settings , set it to custom. Many people are suffering crashes in BF3 and turning them off appears to help some cases.
m
l
February 4, 2012 7:26:00 PM

it was helping a while ago.

its off currently and last night i had some luck.

turns out i had old files from left over drivers in my ATI folder.

so i just deleted the entire thing got the new drivers and voila it was working on auto settings just about ALL ultra and it worked for a few hours then started to crash here and there.

gonna give it a check now.
m
l
February 4, 2012 9:46:16 PM

if deleting that folder and reinstalling had some effect (but didn't fix it completely) then try the following:

uninstall all amd software (control panel->programs->uninstall->amd stuff
Download, install and run driversweeper and remove the remaining amd leftovers. (when you install it, make sure you unselect the option that wants to install some bullshit about the superbowl or other unrelated software)
reinstall latest amd drivers.
m
l
February 4, 2012 9:53:09 PM

slicedtoad said:
if deleting that folder and reinstalling had some effect (but didn't fix it completely) then try the following:

uninstall all amd software (control panel->programs->uninstall->amd stuff
Download, install and run driversweeper and remove the remaining amd leftovers. (when you install it, make sure you unselect the option that wants to install some bullshit about the superbowl or other unrelated software)
reinstall latest amd drivers.

ok cool ill run driver sweeper and redo the amd stuff
m
l
February 6, 2012 1:38:06 PM

okay so i figured it out.
well

i didnt someone on the bf3 forums found it

!_!_! I M P O R T A N T !_!_!

WORKING SOLUTION FOR ME = NO MORE CRASHES

1) Run commandline (cmd.exe) as administrator

2) in cmd type and run this >> bcdedit /set increaseuserva 3000

3) reboot pc (restart)

now try if it work

TO UNDO THE CHANGES>> bcdedit /deletevalue increaseuserva
and reboot

IF THIS WILL WORK FOR U PLEASE SPREAD IT OVER CRASH THREADS IN FORUM
m
l
February 7, 2012 2:29:35 AM

this only for your specific crashes or any kind of bf3 crashes?
Just recently i started getting comp restarts while on bf3 myself lol. I'll try your fix though it's more likely my oc settings.

edit: also, a mod might be able to select your answer as "best answer" if you ask.
m
l
February 7, 2012 1:30:43 PM

slicedtoad said:
this only for your specific crashes or any kind of bf3 crashes?
Just recently i started getting comp restarts while on bf3 myself lol. I'll try your fix though it's more likely my oc settings.

edit: also, a mod might be able to select your answer as "best answer" if you ask.

Actually he is more likely to be banned as a spammer if that same post keeps appearing all over the forums.
m
l
February 7, 2012 7:46:41 PM

wtf?

lol i posted it once?

this is a crash fix im pretty sure for ONLY crash to desktop sound loop crash i believe
m
l
!