Sign in with
Your question

7 years since my last scratch system, have questions.

Last response: in Systems
January 24, 2012 10:36:54 PM

Hello all,

Been about 7 years since I built a system from scratch, at least for myself. I've kept up on a lot of the parts over the years, constantly updating my "wishlist" on various sites, reading up on spec sheets and reviews. I do however have a few questions about my recent purchases, compatibilities and so forth. I'll give my current and upcoming specs for comparison and then move on to more specific questions.

===============================================

Current Specs
Motherboard = MSI PM8M-V
CPU = P4 2.8GHz(hyperthreading)
CPU Cooler = Stock
GPU = PNY GeForce 7600GS 512mb
Memory = 2GB generic (PC 3200)
PSU = Generic 450watt
Harddrive(s) = (1) PATA 60GB, (2) SATA 250GB
Optical = PATA Lite-On DVD Burner w/Lightscribe
Soundcard = Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
Speakers = Monitor (2 x 1W)
OS = Windows XP Pro
Case Generic Mid-ATX
Monitor = 17" Acer AL1717 LCD

New System Specs
Motherboard = ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
CPU = AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz Quad-Core
CPU Cooler = Corsair H80
GPU = ASUS GTX570 DCII 1280MB
Memory = 16GB G.Skill Sniper (PC3 14900)
PSU = OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W
Harddrive(s) = (1) OCZ Vertex 3 SATA3 120GB, (1) SATA Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB
Optical = SATA Lite-On DVD Burner w/Lightscribe
Soundcard = Onboard Realtek ALC892
Speakers = Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1
OS = Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Case = Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Monitor = ASUS VE247H 23.6" LED

===============================================

Now I'm sure there will be some complaints about my setup, but please keep in mind I'm still a little bit out of this and I also have some odd needs of my system from time to time. I know 16GB of mem seems overkill, but I will be tasked from time to time to do some heavy video editing, photo manipulation and such, but the system will mostly be my everyday workhorse and gaming rig. Also decided to take the AMD plunge since I've had nothing but Intel until now and wanted to give it a whirl.

Anywho, here are my questions for those who are interested:
  • 1) Will the new PSU be strong enough to power everything under load? I believe it should be, but I value your opinions.
  • 2) Will the combination GPU, CPU Cooler, large fan PSU and the addition of 200mm fans to my case result in lower audible noise? My understanding was larger fan=lower noise.
  • 3) How difficult will the CPU be to overclock if/when I choose to go this route?
  • 4) Would it be worth it to use my older X-Fi XtremeMusic card over the onboard Realtek ALC892 chipset?
    January 24, 2012 10:47:58 PM

Video editing/rendering= More threads/cores so go i7 2600k. MB can change to a lower price. SSD change to Crucial M4 or Samsung 830, higher quality than OCZ SSDs. Unless you are OCing to a really high, H80 is not needed, Cooler Master 212 will do you fine.

m
    l
    January 24, 2012 10:54:43 PM

Somekidxd,

Not going to go with the i7 as I stated I plan on this being an AMD system so I can get a better feel for them, have had nothing but Intel for the last 15 years. Main reason I went with the H80 is for it's very quiet function at low speeds, really want to get away from the loud system I have now. Thank you for your suggestions on the SSDs though, I will have to look into them.
    m
    l
    !