Taking fan out of laptop to clean

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Fan
  • Components
Last response: in Components
May 8, 2012 1:39:36 AM

Hello all,

My gf has a dell laptop that keeps overheating to the point that it shuts off and is too hot to touch. I was going to go inside of it and see if it was dust buildup inside of the fan unit. If it wasn't, I was going to try and replace the heatsink/fan.

Question I have is, if i just go inside and clean out the fan (assuming I'd have to pull up the processor to do that, would i have to clean and reapply the paste if I am not taking the heat sink off?

More about : taking fan laptop clean

a b D Laptop
May 8, 2012 3:18:46 AM

if you're just unscrewing and removing the fan then no you dont 'need' to
m
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
May 9, 2012 2:14:31 AM

Most laptops (including Dell) have a fan/heatsink which is a single unit (very few - no Dells I know of) will allow you to remove the fan only. This guide will show you what is involved
http://www.insidemylaptop.com/replace-cooling-fan-dell-...
I don't know if this is your gf's model but is representitive of the Dells I've encountered (only 2). You would need thermal compound before replacing the fan.
May 9, 2012 3:04:22 AM

The guide you linked shows taking out the fan without the heatsink. I actually went ahead and just took it together myself due to not being able to find any helpful resources online. I took just the fan out and cleaned it, will monitor the temperature the next few days to see what happens.

The website you linked is a helpful resource, will bookmark for later issues.
m
l
a b D Laptop
May 9, 2012 3:11:15 AM

Actually, step 10 (before removing the fan) is remove heatsink but if you can get your fan out without removing heatsink, awesome - what model Dell (for future reference)
m
l
May 9, 2012 3:12:28 AM

Inspirion 1564...looking at the directions more closely, I skipped the part where u take up the heatsink and just unscrewed the fan
m
l
a b D Laptop
May 9, 2012 8:29:55 PM

dc007 said:
Inspirion 1564...looking at the directions more closely, I skipped the part where u take up the heatsink and just unscrewed the fan

I like it! The easier, the better.
m
l
May 16, 2012 12:23:26 AM

Best answer selected by dc007.
m
l
!