Sign in with
Your question

Game stutter problem

Last response: in Systems
January 24, 2012 10:56:09 PM

I built a new pc and have had it for about a month or two. Games are stuttering on high and low settings. I swiped old drivers, reinstalled, didn't work. Swapped out my 6870 with a friends 6870 and fixed the problem first go around, restarted computer and problem began again. Reinstalled drivers again, didn't fix it. Could it be the processor or mobo?

System specs:
AMD Phenom II X6 1100t
G.Skill Ripjaw Series 8GB DDR3 1333 (2x4GB)
Asus 6870
Sabertooth 990FX
Antec NEO ECO 620W
WD Caviar Black 1TB
Windows 7 64-Bit

More about : game stutter problem

January 25, 2012 12:03:31 AM

What games does this happen with?
m
l
January 25, 2012 12:06:06 AM

Every game I've tried so far including GTA IV, GTA EFLC, and Skyrim.
m
l
Related resources
January 25, 2012 12:12:40 AM

I had this same problem before and it progressed to freezing on a brown, blue, purple, etc screen.. ended up being the power supply. It could be you latency though.
m
l
January 25, 2012 12:16:21 AM

okigeek said:
I had this same problem before and it progressed to freezing on a brown, blue, purple, etc screen.. ended up being the power supply. It could be you latency though.

What do you mean by latency? And this only happens in game, I have no problems out of game at all so I don't understand why it would be the power supply. Did you start having problems only in game?
m
l
January 25, 2012 12:30:14 AM

by latency if you are playing online it could be your connection. i am not an avid gamer and by no means an expert but if your internet server ping rate is higher it can cause the game to stutter. And yes all my problems started and were only in game initially with WoW then DeusEx and CoD BlackOps.
m
l
January 25, 2012 12:31:34 AM

i say all that but take into account also that i am now replacing a mobo. i wouldn not go out and buy a psu just because i said i had that problem.
m
l
January 25, 2012 12:42:19 AM

Its not network related, these problems are occurring during single player.
m
l
January 25, 2012 1:01:28 AM

Can you give a rundown of all 3D settings you have enabled and set in CCC? Also when you reinstalled the drivers how did you go about doing that? You may want to use one of AMD's driver removal tools to make sure everything is removed after you do the normal uninstall proceedure.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1275 <- try this one OR
http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/ <- this one

Also remove and delete the driver that windows has associated through device manager and click the accompanied checkbox for "delete driver software".

Give that a shot and let us know how that goes
m
l
January 25, 2012 4:32:58 PM

airsoftsoldrecn9 said:
Can you give a rundown of all 3D settings you have enabled and set in CCC? Also when you reinstalled the drivers how did you go about doing that? You may want to use one of AMD's driver removal tools to make sure everything is removed after you do the normal uninstall proceedure.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1275 <- try this one OR
http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/ <- this one

Also remove and delete the driver that windows has associated through device manager and click the accompanied checkbox for "delete driver software".

Give that a shot and let us know how that goes

CCC 3D Settings:
Anti-Aliasing, standard
Anisotropic Filtering
Tessellation, AMD Optimized
Surface Format Optimization Enabled
Wait For Vertical Refresh, 2nd Line, Off, Unless application specifies
Anti-Aliasing Mode, Performance
Triple Buffering is Unchecked

As for the drivers, I uninstalled them normally then ran a third party program to delete them, then reinstalled with no luck. I'll give Guru3D a shot.

m
l
January 25, 2012 9:05:28 PM

AMD released new drivers today, did the same process, uninstall, install, and same thing. All games worked first go around, then when i restarted my pc, the problem began again. So it works fine when fresh drivers are installed, but when I restart, it goes back to the way it was. Any ideas?
m
l
February 1, 2012 11:30:01 PM

still having problems, any ideas?
m
l
!