Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Should I upgrade my PSU before getting an HD7970?

Last response: in Components
Share
May 8, 2012 3:00:19 AM

Well I plan on getting an HD7970 and I was wondering if I should upgrade my PSU first, if its "safe" to use my current PSU with the new card.

I currently have an Antec BP550 Plus 550W power supply ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... )

I will be running the card in a PCIe2.0 x16 slot, rather than a 3.0.

I want to know if this will work, and if so, will I lose any performance. (I plan on upgrading my PSU in the future, but I really want this card now :])

Here's the rest of my specs:

AMD Phenom II x6 1090t @ 3.2GHz
16GB DDR3 RAM at 1333MHz
Biostar TA990FXE Motherboard
One DVD Burner Drive (24x)
750GB 7200RPM Hard Drive

Thanks.

More about : upgrade psu hd7970

a c 111 ) Power supply
May 8, 2012 3:17:16 AM

You should be able to run it easily.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2012 4:13:49 AM

it should run, assuming that the psu itself hasnt worn itself down yet
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 1198 ) Power supply
May 8, 2012 4:25:20 AM

I wouldn't trust it.

For a system using a single Radeon HD 7970 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.

The Antec Basic 550 Plus (BP550 Plus), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 32 Amps and with one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is insufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7970.

If you get a card that adheres to the AMD reference design clock speeds for GPU core and memory, and you don't manually overclock the card or run Furmark, then you may be able to use your existing power supply.

For a 550 Watt power supply the Antec Basic 550 Plus (BP550 Plus) has a rather weak combined +12 Volt continuous current rating. A decent 550 Watt power supply will have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 45 Amps.
m
0
l
a c 111 ) Power supply
May 8, 2012 4:58:24 AM

Well ko is the psu expert here, so I guess you will have to upgrade your psu!
m
0
l
a c 165 ) Power supply
May 8, 2012 2:10:15 PM

ko888 said:
A decent 550 Watt power supply will have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 45 Amps...The Antec Basic 550 Plus (BP550 Plus), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 32 Amps




1. decent? did you ever pass an arithmetic class? no need to answer that since you already did above.

please explain to me how a marketed 550w PSU can have a 12 rail past 45a without just pushing the PSU past its label of 550w. I would say 45a on a the 12v (540w) rail for a 550w is damn good. I would also state you need to learn a few things before offering inaccurate opinions as help to others. :pfff: 

2. the max load on the Antec Basic 550 Plus 12v rail is 444w (37a) not 32a

http://www.antec.com/pdf/flyers/BP550PLUS_flyer.pdf

m
0
l
a c 165 ) Power supply
May 8, 2012 2:11:54 PM

amuffin said:
Well ko is the psu expert here, so I guess you will have to upgrade your psu!


i wouldn't take his advice to upgrade a ten year old DELL. he can't even add 12 to 540 and figure out out its higher then 550
m
0
l
a c 165 ) Power supply
May 8, 2012 2:27:21 PM

reconrey said:
Well I plan on getting an HD7970 and I was wondering if I should upgrade my PSU first, if its "safe" to use my current PSU with the new card.

I currently have an Antec BP550 Plus 550W power supply ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... )

I will be running the card in a PCIe2.0 x16 slot, rather than a 3.0.

I want to know if this will work, and if so, will I lose any performance. (I plan on upgrading my PSU in the future, but I really want this card now :])

Here's the rest of my specs:

AMD Phenom II x6 1090t @ 3.2GHz
16GB DDR3 RAM at 1333MHz
Biostar TA990FXE Motherboard
One DVD Burner Drive (24x)
750GB 7200RPM Hard Drive

Thanks.


your PSU is OK, you can do better and you can do worse. gaming wise you won't break 400w (but come close) but your PSU only provides 444w on the 12v rail. It will work but it may be anyone's guess for how long.

you won't lose any performance with the PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot (see 2nd chart)






m
0
l
a c 111 ) Power supply
May 8, 2012 3:04:08 PM

Are those load wattages system? Or card loads? It looks like system, however it will BARELY run it!
m
0
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
May 8, 2012 3:23:16 PM

ct1615 said:
1. decent? did you ever pass an arithmetic class? no need to answer that since you already did above.

please explain to me how a marketed 550w PSU can have a 12 rail past 45a without just pushing the PSU past its label of 550w. I would say 45a on a the 12v (540w) rail for a 550w is damn good. I would also state you need to learn a few things before offering inaccurate opinions as help to others. :pfff: 

2. the max load on the Antec Basic 550 Plus 12v rail is 444w (37a) not 32a

http://www.antec.com/pdf/flyers/BP550PLUS_flyer.pdf

Wow ct
Take it easy
Maybe should have said "high quality" 550
The original BP550 was only 32 amps, maybe ko didn't open the link but looked here
http://realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page673.htm

PS; the overclocked 3960x in the Anand review uses a good deal more power than a 1090T
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2012/05/01/intel-...
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/11/14/intel_core_i7...
m
0
l
a c 165 ) Power supply
May 8, 2012 4:03:12 PM

delluser1 said:
Wow ct
Take it easy
Maybe should have said "high quality" 550
The original BP550 was only 32 amps, maybe ko didn't open the link but looked here
http://realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page673.htm

PS; the overclocked 3960x in the Anand review uses a good deal more power than a 1090T
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2012/05/01/intel-...
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/11/14/intel_core_i7...


didn't mean to go off on a rant but I just see too many people here thumbing their noses at solid PSU and not respecting people's money. to label 550w power supplies below 45a on the 12v as below "decent" is misinforming people to put it lightly.
m
0
l
a c 1198 ) Power supply
May 8, 2012 4:53:56 PM

It's a perfect example of Antec's stupidity in using exactly the same model number with no way of knowing which one you're going to get until you look at the label. At least they could have added a version suffix to the model number.

I'm sure it was done this way so that the uninformed wouldn't know about the change because they would just be looking at the total wattage. This prevents the old version stock from being left on the shelf because everyone would want the later version.

I can clearly see +12V1, +12V2, +12V3, max. load: 384W on the label. That's a combined +12 Volt continuous current of 32 Amps to me.
m
0
l
a c 111 ) Power supply
May 8, 2012 7:55:51 PM

Well that's screwy :/ 
m
0
l
!