mail in rebate

I recently purchase a digital camera, a card,travel case all fuji, at
best buy store in Miami fl.
this product came with a mail rebate of 60 dollars, I send it and 30
day later came back unqualified because it din't have the upc wich
apparently is a bar code locaded in the camera .after a careful look at
the camera I discover that there is not such thing.

I found that very dishonest, I have allway use fujifilm products, it
let me down this time.
26 answers Last reply
More about mail rebate

    disoba@gmail.com wrote:

    > I recently purchase a digital camera, a card,travel case all fuji, at
    > best buy store in Miami fl.
    > this product came with a mail rebate of 60 dollars, I send it and 30
    > day later came back unqualified because it din't have the upc wich
    > apparently is a bar code locaded in the camera .after a careful look at
    > the camera I discover that there is not such thing.
    >
    > I found that very dishonest, I have allway use fujifilm products, it
    > let me down this time.

    Rebates are a scam..

    Statistically, 1/2 the people buying an item at the fantastic
    rebate price don't "get around" to mailing in the rebate forms.
    (There have been surveys to determine this).

    Of those that get mailed in, the companies disqualify many because
    they didn't precisely follow the rebate instructions and include all
    the necessary things. As a result, only 1/3 of all rebates are
    eventually honored.

    So despite offering an amazing $60.00 off the price of an item, in
    the big picture, they're only discounting it by around $20.00

    This is common practice across the electronics industry. This is
    why mail in rebates are so popular. They all do this.. Fujifilm
    is no less honest than any other company..

    In article <118hl30l7ih55dd@news.supernews.com>,
    Jim Townsend <not@real.address> wrote:

    > Rebates are a scam..
    >
    > Statistically, 1/2 the people buying an item at the fantastic
    > rebate price don't "get around" to mailing in the rebate forms.
    > (There have been surveys to determine this).
    >
    > Of those that get mailed in, the companies disqualify many because
    > they didn't precisely follow the rebate instructions and include all
    > the necessary things. As a result, only 1/3 of all rebates are
    > eventually honored.

    Perhaps they're less a scam than a tax on stupidity.

    ----j7y

    --
    jere7my tho?rpe | "The land knows whom it sent out;
    (440) 775-1522 | In the place of human beings

    disoba@gmail.com wrote:
    > I recently purchase a digital camera, a card,travel case all fuji, at
    > best buy store in Miami fl.
    > this product came with a mail rebate of 60 dollars, I send it and 30
    > day later came back unqualified because it din't have the upc wich
    > apparently is a bar code locaded in the camera .after a careful look at
    > the camera I discover that there is not such thing.
    >
    > I found that very dishonest, I have allway use fujifilm products, it
    > let me down this time.

    Why did you post this article 10 times?

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

    > disoba@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I recently purchase a digital camera, a card,travel case all fuji, at
    >> best buy store in Miami fl.
    >> this product came with a mail rebate of 60 dollars, I send it and 30
    >> day later came back unqualified because it din't have the upc wich
    >> apparently is a bar code locaded in the camera .after a careful look at
    >> the camera I discover that there is not such thing.
    >>
    >> I found that very dishonest, I have allway use fujifilm products, it
    >> let me down this time.
    >>

    > Why did you post this article 10 times?

    Just look in the message header:

    I don't usually respond to posts originating from Google...
    I missed it this time.

    On 16 May 2005 17:16:57 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >disoba@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I recently purchase a digital camera, a card,travel case all fuji, at
    >> best buy store in Miami fl.
    >> this product came with a mail rebate of 60 dollars, I send it and 30
    >> day later came back unqualified because it din't have the upc wich
    >> apparently is a bar code locaded in the camera .after a careful look at
    >> the camera I discover that there is not such thing.
    >>
    >> I found that very dishonest, I have allway use fujifilm products, it
    >> let me down this time.
    >>

    >Why did you post this article 10 times?

    Because he's stupid?

    ...just a guess..

    --
    Owamanga!
    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

    A scam? I have *never* had a rebate refused and have *always* received what
    was promised. All one has to do is follow directions, plain and simple.

    --
    John Tucker

    John Tucker wrote:

    > A scam? I have *never* had a rebate refused and have *always* received what
    > was promised. All one has to do is follow directions, plain and simple.

    Yes, but the companies *bank* on people 'forgetting' to send them in
    and making errors when they do. This does happen. This in turn
    reduces the effective total discount from the companies standpoint.

    I'd prefer that the companies simply reduce the price by $60.00 rather
    than making me jump through hoops for a $60.00 rebate.

    I hate filling out forms (supplying my name and address to be entered
    in some database) then mailing letters then waiting for weeks.

    Jim Townsend wrote:
    > disoba@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    >>I recently purchase a digital camera, a card,travel case all fuji, at
    >>best buy store in Miami fl.
    >>this product came with a mail rebate of 60 dollars, I send it and 30
    >>day later came back unqualified because it din't have the upc wich
    >>apparently is a bar code locaded in the camera .after a careful look at
    >>the camera I discover that there is not such thing.
    >>
    >>I found that very dishonest, I have allway use fujifilm products, it
    >>let me down this time.
    >

    > Rebates are a scam..
    >
    > Statistically, 1/2 the people buying an item at the fantastic
    > rebate price don't "get around" to mailing in the rebate forms.
    > (There have been surveys to determine this).
    >
    > Of those that get mailed in, the companies disqualify many because
    > they didn't precisely follow the rebate instructions and include all
    > the necessary things. As a result, only 1/3 of all rebates are
    > eventually honored.
    >
    > So despite offering an amazing $60.00 off the price of an item, in
    > the big picture, they're only discounting it by around $20.00
    >
    > This is common practice across the electronics industry. This is
    > why mail in rebates are so popular. They all do this.. Fujifilm
    > is no less honest than any other company..

    Hi...

    My personal experience is that Fuji goes far beyond what's
    expected of them... :)

    Couple of Christmas's ago my neighbor bought his family an
    A210 a few weeks before the holidays. All they had was the card
    that came with it.

    Just before Christmas I was shopping; thought that maybe they'd
    like another card to use with it. Saw a Fuji rebate form on
    the counter - offered that with the purchase of a 210 they'd
    send you a free 32 meg card, so I picked one up for them.

    Got home to find that it expired the end of November (3 weeks
    ago).

    He decided to gamble a stamp, and send it in, along with a
    note explaining that he knew it was late, and wondered if they
    might consider making an exception.

    They sent him a card. Hats off to Fuji.

    Ken

    "John Tucker" <johnREMOVE@REMOVEintegrity-web-design.com> wrote in message
    >A scam? I have *never* had a rebate refused and have *always* received what
    >was promised. All one has to do is follow directions, plain and simple.
    >
    > --
    > John Tucker
    >
    > Jim Townsend wrote:
    >> Rebates are a scam..

    I've always gotten the rebate as well. A few years back, there was a problem
    with rebates not being honored until they cracked down on the scammers.
    Always follow the instructions in order for the rebate to be honored.
    John

    On Mon, 16 May 2005 13:23:11 -0500, Jim Townsend <not@real.address>
    wrote:

    >John Tucker wrote:
    >
    >> A scam? I have *never* had a rebate refused and have *always* received what
    >> was promised. All one has to do is follow directions, plain and simple.
    >>

    >Yes, but the companies *bank* on people 'forgetting' to send them in
    >and making errors when they do. This does happen. This in turn
    >reduces the effective total discount from the companies standpoint.

    Why do I care what others fail to do -- I got my $300 in
    rebates for an $1100 computer with no problem .

    >I'd prefer that the companies simply reduce the price by $60.00 rather
    >than making me jump through hoops for a $60.00 rebate.
    >
    >I hate filling out forms (supplying my name and address to be entered
    >in some database) then mailing letters then waiting for weeks.

    At fifteen minutes of my time, that's $1200/hour for writing a
    few things and making copies.

    On Mon, 16 May 2005 18:30:06 GMT, Ken Weitzel <kweitzel@shaw.ca>
    wrote:

    >Jim Townsend wrote:
    >> disoba@gmail.com wrote:
    >>

    >>>I recently purchase a digital camera, a card,travel case all fuji, at
    >>>best buy store in Miami fl.
    >>>this product came with a mail rebate of 60 dollars, I send it and 30
    >>>day later came back unqualified because it din't have the upc wich
    >>>apparently is a bar code locaded in the camera .after a careful look at
    >>>the camera I discover that there is not such thing.
    >>>
    >>>I found that very dishonest, I have allway use fujifilm products, it
    >>>let me down this time.
    >>

    >> Rebates are a scam..
    >>
    >> Statistically, 1/2 the people buying an item at the fantastic
    >> rebate price don't "get around" to mailing in the rebate forms.
    >> (There have been surveys to determine this).
    >>
    >> Of those that get mailed in, the companies disqualify many because
    >> they didn't precisely follow the rebate instructions and include all
    >> the necessary things. As a result, only 1/3 of all rebates are
    >> eventually honored.
    >>
    >> So despite offering an amazing $60.00 off the price of an item, in
    >> the big picture, they're only discounting it by around $20.00
    >>
    >> This is common practice across the electronics industry. This is
    >> why mail in rebates are so popular. They all do this.. Fujifilm
    >> is no less honest than any other company..
    >
    >Hi...
    >
    >My personal experience is that Fuji goes far beyond what's
    >expected of them... :)
    >
    >Couple of Christmas's ago my neighbor bought his family an
    >A210 a few weeks before the holidays. All they had was the card
    >that came with it.
    >
    >Just before Christmas I was shopping; thought that maybe they'd
    >like another card to use with it. Saw a Fuji rebate form on
    >the counter - offered that with the purchase of a 210 they'd
    >send you a free 32 meg card, so I picked one up for them.
    >
    >Got home to find that it expired the end of November (3 weeks
    >ago).
    >
    >He decided to gamble a stamp

    Interesting phrase -- the last time I saw it used was in 1950s
    ads for Charles Atlas (or similar) bodybuilding systems. The skinny
    guy in the cartoon strip gets sand kicked in his face by the beach
    dude, who makes of with the beach babe. At home, he reads the ad,
    says, "I'll gamble a stamp ...." Some time later, as I recall, he
    revisits the beach, commits battery on the beach dude and reclaims
    "his rightful property."

    kashe@sonic.net wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 May 2005 13:23:11 -0500, Jim Townsend <not@real.address>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Yes, but the companies *bank* on people 'forgetting' to send them in
    >>and making errors when they do. This does happen. This in turn
    >>reduces the effective total discount from the companies standpoint.
    >
    > Why do I care what others fail to do --

    Have you ever wondered WHY so many companies go through the time and
    trouble to offer rebates ?

    Because when they advertise a product for $50 off they know the
    cumulative discount will really be $25. (Yes, you can blame it
    on the consumer).

    But.. If EVERYBODY who bought a product applied for the rebate
    with all the correct info and enclosures, the popular and stupid
    rebate programs would end.

    If they have to pay the full discount, then the only reason I can see
    left for companies offering the rebate would be to collect names and
    addresses for their databases.

    Jim Townsend <not@real.address> wrote:

    > Statistically, 1/2 the people buying an item at the fantastic
    > rebate price don't "get around" to mailing in the rebate forms.
    > (There have been surveys to determine this).

    72% of all quoted statistics are made up ;-)

    > Of those that get mailed in, the companies disqualify many because
    > they didn't precisely follow the rebate instructions and include all
    > the necessary things. As a result, only 1/3 of all rebates are
    > eventually honored.

    26% of all statistics that have sub-statistics are also made up.

    One thing I am sure of is that as the size of the rebate increases in
    absolute terms (dollar amount), the more likely a rebate will be sent.

    The fact is that people are getting so tired of rebates that Best Buy
    has unilaterally chosen to discontinue the majority of offered rebates.
    I believe the implementation date for 100% of their product under these
    rules is just over 18 months.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    John Tucker <johnREMOVE@removeintegrity-web-design.com> wrote:
    > A scam? I have *never* had a rebate refused and have *always* received what
    > was promised. All one has to do is follow directions, plain and simple.

    I have had several small rebates seemingly just "disappear". You send
    them in and never get anything back. Not much you can do once you have
    sent in the UPC. However, I have not had this happen on any large
    rebates ($100+). I have had ATI and Samsung (for a video card and flat
    LCD screen) take 4 and 5 months respectively to get my rebates mailed to
    me. They claim 6 to 8 weeks, but they are not telling the truth. I
    mailed both those rebates two days after Christmas (27th) and didn't get
    the checks until mid-April and early May respectively.

    I DO like working with rebates when it comes to Costco. They allow you
    to go online and fill out information from the receipt about point of
    sale. You get an email about the acceptance of the rebate and shortly
    after that a check arrives in the mail. No issues mailing in UPC codes
    and fighting about semantics.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Jim Townsend <not@real.address> wrote:

    > Yes, but the companies *bank* on people 'forgetting' to send them in
    > and making errors when they do. This does happen. This in turn
    > reduces the effective total discount from the companies standpoint.

    One of the reasons manufacturer rebates are so popular is that they
    allow manufacturers to offer a sale globally without having to work with
    each and every retailer on this. Further, it shows increased revenue
    during a reporting period if they care to time these events properly.
    So, it can be an interesting way of smoothing the books.

    > I'd prefer that the companies simply reduce the price by $60.00 rather
    > than making me jump through hoops for a $60.00 rebate.

    Yes, so would I! However, the problem often is that they are required
    to work with each of the retailers to discount inventory they already
    have and have paid full price for, so that a credit is issued back to
    them upon sale. Thus, retailers often lose because they have money tied
    up in inventory that they have actually sold, awaiting credit from the
    manufacturer. Large retailers have channels to eliminate this, but
    small retailers may not.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    kashe@sonic.net wrote:
    > At fifteen minutes of my time, that's $1200/hour for writing a
    > few things and making copies.

    This is a misrepresentation of what actually is occuring here. You can
    only get $1200/hour is you have that many rebates lined up to send.
    Otherwise, your time is worth only that amount of money you can
    potentially be refunded. For most people, it is $30 of their own money
    that is tied up for 6 weeks awaiting its recovery. Time to get the
    rebate submitted, wait for its refund and time spent to deposit the
    check all add up to a terrible inconvenience.

    What does this mean? Well, you can pay $1200 with a $300 rebate, spend
    20 minutes submitting the rebate, wait 6 weeks while somebody has your
    money, and then get the check and cash it, leaving the cost to you as
    $900 + the loss of work of $300 over 6 weeks (plus a stamp). Or, you
    can pay $900 up front with no rebate, and let your $300 work for you as
    it would normally over 6 weeks and not have any loss of time. The
    latter is clearly a better option.

    So, representing this as a $1200/hour venture is clearly a gross
    misrepresentation.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 09:09:58 -0500, Jim Townsend <not@real.address>
    wrote:

    >kashe@sonic.net wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 16 May 2005 13:23:11 -0500, Jim Townsend <not@real.address>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Yes, but the companies *bank* on people 'forgetting' to send them in
    >>>and making errors when they do. This does happen. This in turn
    >>>reduces the effective total discount from the companies standpoint.
    >>
    >> Why do I care what others fail to do --
    >
    >Have you ever wondered WHY so many companies go through the time and
    >trouble to offer rebates ?

    No, I've never wondered -- it was obvious from the outet.

    On 17 May 2005 18:22:34 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >kashe@sonic.net wrote:
    >> At fifteen minutes of my time, that's $1200/hour for writing a
    >> few things and making copies.
    >>

    >This is a misrepresentation of what actually is occuring here.

    It's the RATE, boy, the RATE. Duration not implied.

    kashe@sonic.net wrote:

    >>This is a misrepresentation of what actually is occuring here.
    >
    > It's the RATE, boy, the RATE. Duration not implied.

    The ONLY rate that it is measuring is the rate at which you can get your
    money back if you are similarily spending $1200/hour ... which is
    assinine!

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have had several small rebates seemingly just "disappear". You send
    > them in and never get anything back. Not much you can do once you have
    > sent in the UPC. However, I have not had this happen on any large

    Sure there is.

    1. Make a complete copy of everything you send.
    2. Record when you sent the materials.
    3. When the time period has elapsed, contact the rebate handler, preferably by
    telephone and ask, "Where is my rebate?"

    I've done probably 50 rebates over the years, and I've received every one. I'd
    guess that some 80% did *not* arrive within the stated time. Of those 80%,
    90% of the time, when I called, be it on the last day or sometimes months
    later, I was told "Your rebate is in the works." Then I received the check the
    next week. My guess is that the rebate handler actually is sitting on the
    rebates until the consumer calls and complains. (I'm sure this varies by
    company.)

    Anyway, a statistic I recently saw said that of the total products bought
    during a rebate offering, less than 10% actually attempt to claim the rebate.
    And a significant number of claimants don't follow the directions: don't include
    the UPC, wait too long, etc.

    I've also heard that the way the rebate game works, the Selling Company
    actually pays the Handling Company the amount of expected rebates in
    advance (plus some premium). Clearly there is a large temptation on the
    part of the Handling company to pay as few rebates as legally possible,
    and to take as long as possible to do so.

    --
    Dan (Woj...) [dmaster](no space)[at](no space)[lucent](no space)[dot](no
    space)[com]

    Dan Wojciechowski wrote:
    > "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> I have had several small rebates seemingly just "disappear". You
    >> send them in and never get anything back. Not much you can do once
    >> you have sent in the UPC. However, I have not had this happen on
    >> any large
    >
    > Sure there is.
    >
    > 1. Make a complete copy of everything you send.
    > 2. Record when you sent the materials.
    > 3. When the time period has elapsed, contact the rebate handler,
    > preferably by telephone and ask, "Where is my rebate?"
    >
    > I've done probably 50 rebates over the years, and I've received
    > every
    > one. I'd guess that some 80% did *not* arrive within the stated
    > time. Of those 80%, 90% of the time, when I called, be it on the
    > last day or sometimes months later, I was told "Your rebate is in
    > the
    > works." Then I received the check the next week. My guess is that
    > the rebate handler actually is sitting on the rebates until the
    > consumer calls and complains. (I'm sure this varies by company.)
    >
    > Anyway, a statistic I recently saw said that of the total products
    > bought during a rebate offering, less than 10% actually attempt to
    > claim the rebate. And a significant number of claimants don't follow
    > the directions: don't include the UPC, wait too long, etc.
    >
    > I've also heard that the way the rebate game works, the Selling
    > Company actually pays the Handling Company the amount of expected
    > rebates in
    > advance (plus some premium). Clearly there is a large temptation on
    > the
    > part of the Handling company to pay as few rebates as legally
    > possible,
    > and to take as long as possible to do so.

    That last point - rebate company benefitting from unfulfilled
    rebates - is what I suspected (well, alleged, anyway) on a Costco
    rebate. Yes, one of the ever-so-simple online rebates.

    Ordered from Costco.com, waited for a shipping date message, made the
    application online, and two days later, " ... we can't locate your
    order in our information ... download a rebate form and send the stuff
    .... or call us at our Scottsdale number ... " Uh huh. I could find the
    order and the delivery message online. Why couldn't they? There is no
    way to re-submit on line if you did it correctly the first time.

    Today I mailed copies of the order - complete with rebate offer - the
    Thanks-For-Your-Order message, the Your-Order-Has-Shipped message, the
    Packing Slip (they delivered FAST), the rebate form, and my note with
    words to the effect that they should revamp their computer and
    procedures, as this was apparently a fraud and a scam. And I indicated
    cc: CEO, Costco, and District Attorney, Scottsdale AZ.

    First such glitch in a dozen or more Costco rebates.

    --
    Frank ess

    "Dan Wojciechowski" <too.much@spam.com> wrote in message
    > "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> I have had several small rebates seemingly just "disappear". You send
    >> them in and never get anything back. Not much you can do once you have
    >> sent in the UPC. However, I have not had this happen on any large
    >
    > Sure there is.
    >
    > 1. Make a complete copy of everything you send.
    > 2. Record when you sent the materials.
    > 3. When the time period has elapsed, contact the rebate handler,
    > preferably by
    > telephone and ask, "Where is my rebate?"
    >
    > I've done probably 50 rebates over the years, and I've received every one.
    > I'd
    > guess that some 80% did *not* arrive within the stated time. Of those
    > 80%,
    > 90% of the time, when I called, be it on the last day or sometimes months
    > later, I was told "Your rebate is in the works." Then I received the
    > check the
    > next week. My guess is that the rebate handler actually is sitting on the
    > rebates until the consumer calls and complains. (I'm sure this varies by
    > company.)
    >
    > Anyway, a statistic I recently saw said that of the total products bought
    > during a rebate offering, less than 10% actually attempt to claim the
    > rebate.
    > And a significant number of claimants don't follow the directions: don't
    > include
    > the UPC, wait too long, etc.
    >
    > I've also heard that the way the rebate game works, the Selling Company
    > actually pays the Handling Company the amount of expected rebates in
    > advance (plus some premium). Clearly there is a large temptation on the
    > part of the Handling company to pay as few rebates as legally possible,
    > and to take as long as possible to do so.
    >

    > --
    > Dan (Woj...) [dmaster](no space)[at](no space)[lucent](no
    > space)[dot](no
    > space)[com]
    > ===============================
    > "I like smoke and lightning / Heavy metal thunder
    > Racin' with the wind / And the feelin' that I'm under
    > Yeah Darlin' go make it happen / Take the world in a love embrace
    > Fire all of your guns at once / And explode into space"

    I'm having terrible problems getting a rebate from "onrebate.com"
    Fortunately, I send it registered mail. They deny receiving it.
    -Pete

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 18:42:01 GMT, "Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote:

    >I'm having terrible problems getting a rebate from "onrebate.com"
    >Fortunately, I send it registered mail. They deny receiving it.

    Unfortunately, registered mail just helps prove they received an
    envelope, it doesn't prove anything regarding the content.

    It's really nothing more than a postal scam.

    --
    Owamanga!
    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

    Owamanga wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 May 2005 18:42:01 GMT, "Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm having terrible problems getting a rebate from "onrebate.com"
    >> Fortunately, I send it registered mail. They deny receiving it.
    >
    > Unfortunately, registered mail just helps prove they received an
    > envelope, it doesn't prove anything regarding the content.
    >
    > It's really nothing more than a postal scam.

    Not really. There have been a couple of times when I was glad I'd sent
    something via registered mail. Freed me of any perceived negligence, putting
    the responsibility solely on the shoulders of the recipient.

    --
    John

    On 19 May 2005 01:43:02 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >kashe@sonic.net wrote:
    >>>
    >>>This is a misrepresentation of what actually is occuring here.
    >>
    >> It's the RATE, boy, the RATE. Duration not implied.
    >>

    >The ONLY rate that it is measuring is the rate at which you can get your
    >money back if you are similarily spending $1200/hour ... which is
    >assinine!

    Par'me, but is the rference to "spending" intended to mean
    anything? Rate is rate, without respect to any other activity.

    kashe@sonic.net wrote:

    > Par'me, but is the rference to "spending" intended to mean
    > anything? Rate is rate, without respect to any other activity.

    Your obtuseness is overwhelming.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

Cameras Product