Sign in with
Your question

A new build after reading your feedback....thoughts?

Last response: in Systems
January 25, 2012 2:05:39 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: next week or so, depending on changes based mostly on forum feedback, so Thank You!

Budget Range: < $2500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming ( truely the main reason...), surfing the internet, watching movies)

Parts Not Required: I have speakers that will do to start, can upgrade later.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: none really, this is a cyber power build

Parts Preferences: none

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, but not yet.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, see monitor selection..it is good for my purpose yes(?)

Additional Comments:
Time is my limiting factor, otherwise I'd take a stab at building this myself....may do it anyway if consensus is that I could do so for a significant cost savings...say 500$ or better, otherwise no.

At first I went with an 8 core AMD CPU but feedback led to this intel (actually the i5 2500k), but this builds CPU looked even faster (true?), also had selected dual HD7970's but feedback suggested that it was overkill..., this seems GPU is good too ( yes/no ?), will this GPU likely be around still as an SLI choice in a year or so?
I the PSU adequate?, and is getting the professional wiring a waste of $$, I'd heard that cyber power can be sloppy(?) so that's why I chose it. Lot's of questions I know but the more I ask the more I learn...so Thank You for any feedback you care to share

Build:
Configuration #: 1DW1A0
Configuration URL: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1DW1A0
Product Name: Gamer Xtreme 1000 SE
Price: $2,281.00
CAS:In-Win Dragon Rider Full Tower Case w/ 1x120mm Front Fan, 1x220mm LED Side Fan, Front USB 3.0 x 2
CPU:Intel® Core™ i7-2600K
CS_FAN:Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans
FAN:CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo Gaming Cooling Fan
HDD:120GB Corsair Force GT Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 555MB/s Read & 515MB/s Write [+82] (120GB x 2 (240GB Capacity) Raid 0 Extreme Performance
MEMORY:8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance
MOTHERBOARD:[CrossFireX/SLI] Asus P8Z68-V PRO
OVERCLOCK:Extreme OC (Extreme Overclock 20% or more)
VIDEO:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 HD 2.5GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+214] (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA)
POWERSUPPLY:850 Watts - Corsair Professional Series CMPSU-AX850 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
CD:LG UH12LS28K 12X Blu-Ray Player & DVDRW Combo Drive
CARE1:p rofessional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System
WNC:802.11b/g/n 300 Mbps Wireless Card + External Dual 2.4G 7 Dbi Omni-Directional High Gain Antenna
MONITOR:24" Widescreen 1920x1080 Asus VS247H-P LCD
January 25, 2012 3:06:45 AM

Almost $2300 is high. Without doing a detailed parts breakdown, I'd say that you should be able to build something like this for $1500 - $1800. In fact, I suspect that your could do SLI'd 570's for abot $2k.

That is worth doing it yourself.

There's no significant difference between 2500K and 2600K for gaming. Both overclock to about the same levels.

Memory - 4 GB X 2 is a better choice. Leaves two mem slots free for later expansion.

PSU is more than adequate for two video cards.

All "professional" really means is that you are paying someone to do something. The job may be high quality. It may not be.
m
l
January 25, 2012 4:23:30 AM

Quote:
Almost $2300 is high. Without doing a detailed parts breakdown, I'd say that you should be able to build something like this for $1500 - $1800. In fact, I suspect that your could do SLI'd 570's for abot $2k.

I totally agree there - even with Cyberpower you can build a far better system yourself. Even if you don't know how to setup a system chances are good you know someone who does and they can assist you. Or you can search online forums like this and resources on Youtube and elsewhere.

Argh, as much as I want to, I really hesitate to recommend Cyberpower. If you want someone to build it for you check out Origin Systems or Falcon Northwest, they are far better manufacturers and really stand by their systems.

http://www.originpc.com/
http://www.falcon-nw.com/
m
l
Related resources
January 25, 2012 4:29:34 AM

jsc said:

There's no significant difference between 2500K and 2600K for gaming. Both overclock to about the same levels.

Memory - 4 GB X 2 is a better choice. Leaves two mem slots free for later expansion.

PSU is more than adequate for two video cards.

All "professional" really means is that you are paying someone to do something. The job may be high quality. It may not be.

I orginally was just going to build a pc on cyberpowerpc but after building a rig on there site and having it come out to about $1700. I decided to research building it myself. So i pieced it out and realized i could build it for almost 500 bucks less and pick a different case/ pick better parts. Havent build it yet still working out the kinks but i already feel like i have a better computer than i build on there for alot less.
m
l
January 25, 2012 9:44:35 AM

Thanks for the feedback so far. I have configured similar systems at FalconNW and Origin, both come out quite a more expensive for similar parts, is the price jump worth it?

The more I read the more intrigued I become about building it myself. What are the pros/cons relative to warranty's, I mean the parts warranty will be whatever the mfg'r gives but if I screw it up putting it all together I'm hosed right?.....my basic concern there.

Also what is the time commitment to researching how to build a rig like this and then actually doing it? Granted just by reading this forum and playing with the configure systems at the various sites I have learned a lot....but time is an issue for me unfortunately, hence a build to order system.

Thanks for the info so far, I'm curious what some others think about the build I have selected? another ? is a SSD in raid vs. an SSD boot drive and then an HDD....and in that config how important is rpm...7200 vs. 10,000.?
m
l
January 25, 2012 10:34:48 AM

About you screw up the warranty.. well, putting simple:
- Do not put fire
- Do not shot the hardware
- Do not jump all over it

Mfg'r will give you another piece of hardware if your hardware fails.
Watch some youtube about how to assemble a new computer, this is not hard. You MUST not be afraid to take the hardware in your hands, to assemble.
Another option is to pay some computer technician to assemble it for you, just look for a trusted one. And after assembled check if the hardware you sent is the hardware that you receive.

About HDD
About HDD rpm, today some 1TB 5400rpm HDD are faster than old 320GB 7200rpm HDD for example. Rpm speed isn't the only factor, just mind that with a 1TB HDD, each rotation deliver a greater amount of data than a 320GB rotation (due to HDD size), there's so much data that a the 1TB deliver more data/second than the 320GB, even the "slow" speed.
m
l
!