Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can i use an AM3 processor on a AM3+ socket?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 8, 2012 5:00:04 AM

I'm planning to upgrade from my athlon II to an AMD FX X6 cpu however my current motherboard has an AM3 socket and the bulldozer cpu's require an AM3+ socket. so i'll buy a new motherboard but i want to know will my athlon II work on an AM3+ socket
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2012 5:49:08 AM

I got my gigabyte 990fx am3+ board and started with an athlon x4 before I found a steal on a FX 8120. It works, it's in my sig atm. Cheers.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 8, 2012 6:00:33 AM

Yes it will, AM3+ is backward compatible, but the FX chips are not.
Related resources
May 8, 2012 1:05:46 PM

sarinaide said:
Yes it will, AM3+ is backward compatible, but the FX chips are not.


Yes i know :D  AMD FX processors are not compatible with AM3 sockets, only AM3+ or FM1. that is the reason i'm getting a new motherboard because my current one, a Gigabyte GA-MA770 - UD3 has an AM3 socket and i'm gonna need a motherboard that has an AM3+ socket
May 8, 2012 5:16:35 PM

If you have faith in Piledriver, get the AM3+ mainboard, don't worry ur cpu is compatible with it. Don't bother thinking about fx x6 tho get the phenom II x6 1100T or 1600T-unlocked they're much better.
May 8, 2012 5:29:33 PM

nazgron said:
If you have faith in Piledriver, get the AM3+ mainboard, don't worry ur cpu is compatible with it. Don't bother thinking about fx x6 tho get the phenom II x6 1100T or 1600T-unlocked they're much better.


phenom II X6 are cpus that often don't do too well when paired with Nvidia cards so i'm not gonna risk it
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2012 11:57:55 PM

Lazar_99 said:
phenom II X6 are cpus that often don't do too well when paired with Nvidia cards so i'm not gonna risk it


Where did you hear that?
!