Gtx 580m vs/or i7 2860qm

Good morning,

first of all im sorry if that thread doesn't fix here and should be otherwhere else.

I'm asking directly my doubts. For economic reasons i have to choose between the next two configurations:

- i7 2670qm 2.2ghz WITH gtx 580m 2g DDR5
- i7 2860qm 2.5ghz WITH hd radeon 6990m 2g DDR5

I've been looking to some comparisons between both graphic cards and it seems that the gtx 580m works a little bit better, but i dont know if its worth to sacrifice the i7 2860 2.5 ghz processor.

(( fps comparisons in: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html ))

Thx guys.

PD: its about an alienware m17x fhd 6RAM ddr3 1333 and 320gb hard drive 7200 (i had to save some money on the HDD )
9 answers Last reply
More about 580m 2860qm
  1. hmm, get one with gtx580m don't care about cpu speed they both are fine
  2. It depends what games you're playing, the GPUs trade blows, and obviously the CPU in the second option will beat the one in the first:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gtx-580m-sli-hd-6990m-crossfire,3022.html
    Oddly, the 6990 wins in Crysis (TWIMTBP??) but is edged out in the other titles tested.
  3. tedescoalienware said:
    Good morning,

first of all im sorry if that thread doesn't fix here and should be otherwhere else.

I'm asking directly my doubts. For economic reasons i have to choose between the next two configurations:

- i7 2670qm 2.2ghz WITH gtx 580m 2g DDR5
    - i7 2860qm 2.5ghz WITH hd radeon 6990m 2g DDR5

I've been looking to some comparisons between both graphic cards and it seems that the gtx 580m works a little bit better, but i dont know if its worth to sacrifice the i7 2860 2.5 ghz processor.

(( fps comparisons in: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html ))

Thx guys.

PD: its about an alienware m17x fhd 6RAM ddr3 1333 and 320gb hard drive 7200 (i had to save some money on the HDD )

1. what is your budget?
    2. what do you want to do with your laptop? (from the configurations i assume gaming)
    here's a comparison chart
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4954/alienwares-m18x-part-2-amds-radeon-hd-6990m-in-crossfire/3
    looks like 580m is better in gaming. additionally, you get nvidia's optimus gfx switching technology, which is better and more effective than amd's dynamic gfx switching. check your laptop's spec if you get optimus or not.
  4. now get gtx580m it's much better.
  5. hi guys, thx for the answers.

So my budget is about 2000 euros (and its far away from my original limits). The laptop is for gaming mostly and my reference now is BF3. Other games i like are ARMA, Op Flaspoint, Total War Saga, CoD.

In the comparisons i read, the gtx 580m won with a little difference, maybe 5-10 fps per game. And i dont know if i should choose those 5-10 fps or the higher processor. What could afect more during gaming, the difference between the cards or between those processors?
    If i had the money i would choose the i7 2860qm with the gtx 580m but i have to choose hahaha. Well thx guys i will continue reading you and if i find anything tht could help ill post it
  6. I hate to ruin your fun, but please don't buy alienware (unless you want the M11x, it's amazing).

Look at comparable offerings from MSI, and Asus' gaming laptop (the RoG one, not sure if it's out yet)

Alternativley, wait for the razer blade. It's not as powerful, but a darn sight better looking, more unique, and most certainly portable.

What I would personally do is but a fairly high end gaming PC for home use (around 1200-1500 euro, or build yourself) and then spend the 500 on a decent, but not hugley powerful laptop. I've tried alienware's M18/17x, and they're huge, more than 4kg, and 6cm thick. find a box around that size, weigh it, fill it with scrap metal (or similar) until it's around 4kg, and try carrying it around for a day. Trust me, it's more hassle than it's worth. Of course, the exception is the Razer blade, which is still fairly weighty (2-3kg, I think) but is much thinner (around 3-4cm)

Of course, I don't know your circumstances, but there are quite a few better solutions than the alienware behemoths. You'll get a lot more performance from a desktop (per euro and kilo) than these so called 'laptops' (they're truly massive)

As I say, I don't know your situation, nor do I know what you really want to do. Just hope that I've helped. If you really need a hand with your systems, come to my website, http://getutech.com/ (not advertising) and chat to us on the livechat client. (we're down at the moment, but will be back up soon.)

Just please don't buy an alienware.
  7. It is better to avoid alienware big laptop(all 17,18 inch) and I am not talking about 11 inch one, because it is good. Alienware are bulky, heavy and can't be considered as 'laptop that you can carry' Lol. You can check at MSI laptops, but the problem is that it has a 570M instead of 580M. But it is more portable than Alienware. Another pick is the Samsung 700G7A, which comes with 6970M graphics, I don't know much about it. But if you really want 580M or 6990M you can get Alienware then. Alienware with 580M is preferable or recommended for you as you only play games. Ignore the processor because you only need it for gaming.
  8. I have to choose laptop option because i move constantly arround europe. If its not extremely "portable" its acceptable for me..since its a gaming laptop i can understand. And from the options i had Alienware seems to be the best option... Do anyone of u guys have tried the nvidia 3d vision?
  9. I just bought the 17" alienware for Christmas, with 2860QM and GTX580M and used my old 256GB SSD from older machine. It is bigger than my old alienware (15" R1) but the build quality is much much better. I miss the matte 1920x1200 screen but this 1080 screen is brighter and the gamma colors seem richer but the screen is to reflective, like a mirror. It is very fast as expected and I love all the connectivity options.

I did not get the 3d vision monitor because I have 3d vision on my home computer (3 120hz screens) and it is interesting for a little while but I get a headache when gaming in 3D and the screens appear much darker with the glasses on which adds to the eye strain. While the mobile GTX580M is a powerful processor it is not as powerful as the desktop version by a long shot and more like a 560 desktop or less so 3D would make it hard to run high end games reasonably fast.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Intel i7 Graphics