Sign in with
Your question

How do these 2 builds compare against each other?

Last response: in Systems
January 25, 2012 4:18:56 AM

Was going to post this in the thread i already had but didnt to combine everything into a confusing thead.

This was the build i was working on earlier in the other thread:

But realized i had a bit more money to throw into a build than originally so i was messing around and changed a few things to see what $200 more bucks could get me. Originally i had the Raedon HD 6970 graphics card but after seeing a few benchmark tests between the 6970 2gb and the GTX 570 2.5gb it seemed like i could get more power out of the GTX. I also choose a different mobo. Plus a bigger power supply just to be safe.

I know someone said the vengence RAM has a high failure rate, but im having a hard time picking something else since newegg wont let me buy the i5 2500k with out some sort of bundle. I can buy it from a different site, but would rather have it all together on one order unless it really sucks that bad. Thanks to anyone who responds.

More about : builds compare

January 25, 2012 4:36:12 AM

Quote:
I know someone said the vengence RAM has a high failure rate, but im having a hard time picking something else since newegg wont let me buy the i5 2500k with out some sort of bundle. I can buy it from a different site, but would rather have it all together on one order unless it really sucks that bad. Thanks to anyone who responds.

That's not necessarily true - some Corsair lines have higher fail rates than others (depends on who the OEM is) but the Vengeance isn't one of them. Where the problems lie is with the tall heat sinks and any coolers you happen to install.

That said the second build is way better than the first, but I'd hesitate to recommend the Antec 900 as it's quite a few years old now. If you want to stick with Antec the much newer 1100 is a better choice as it has lots of features the 900 doesn't like cable management and USB3.0.

Alternately I'd recommend something like the Corsair Carbide 400R or the Fractal Design Arc MIDI.
January 25, 2012 4:45:05 AM

Also the 900 has no fan filter, I have owned this case for 4 years now and from day 1 its been a dust bunny. Great cooling dont get me wrong, and i havent had anything break on the case itself, but god does it collect dust.
Related resources
January 25, 2012 4:45:23 AM

Thanks gunit thats good to hear i guess im slowly learning about all of this. I just took a look at that 1100 case you mentioned. Looks like it has everything im looking for in a case: midsize tower, lots of fans, and a side window to see my build. I choose the original case just because of the reviews and it pretty much had everything i was looking for. I will have to read up on the 1100 more and take a look at the other two.

I also heard the 900 was a dust collector. Have to see if the 1100 is any better. Anyone know if they come with a filter? or is that something i can buy seperate. My house does get dusty.
January 25, 2012 5:02:38 AM

Looks like the 1100 has the air filter. But doesnt come with many fans. How many 120mm fans would i have to buy for it to run cool enough?
January 25, 2012 2:30:15 PM

depends on the rest of the setup, and what you plan to do with it .
January 25, 2012 3:40:31 PM

neal0790 said:
Thanks gunit thats good to hear i guess im slowly learning about all of this. I just took a look at that 1100 case you mentioned. Looks like it has everything im looking for in a case: midsize tower, lots of fans, and a side window to see my build. I choose the original case just because of the reviews and it pretty much had everything i was looking for. I will have to read up on the 1100 more and take a look at the other two.

I also heard the 900 was a dust collector. Have to see if the 1100 is any better. Anyone know if they come with a filter? or is that something i can buy seperate. My house does get dusty.

I had a 900 and it was definitely a major dust collector. I eventually got rid of it and got the Corsair Graphite 600T - much happier with that choice.
January 25, 2012 3:45:04 PM

blacksci said:
depends on the rest of the setup, and what you plan to do with it .

Pretty much my plan is to just go with something like the 2nd build. Add a SDD later on, another graphics card in about 6 months (maybe a 2nd 570), maybe a blueray burner and some kind of fan control panel. Plan on overclocking but not right away. Would like a solid rig that going to play games on max/ultra like BF3, StarCraft 2, Diablo 3, ME3, etc out of the box without me tinkering to much. Once i get used to it i want to overclock but want to make sure the rig is going to be cool enough to do it when the time comes.
January 25, 2012 3:45:37 PM

Also anyone else got any other opinions/ suggestions on the two?
January 25, 2012 4:46:25 PM

Well if you go with the 1100 looks like your gonna need 2-120's right away, and have the option to put 2 more where your video cards go, but that rarely works seeing as how the space time paradox dictates that 2 objects cant inhabit the same space at the same time, i.e. fans AND video card.

If i were you i would look at the df-85 or the 1200 v3 there both 159, and your gonna hit that range after you buy 2-120 mm quality fans.
January 25, 2012 4:52:15 PM

blacksci said:
Well if you go with the 1100 looks like your gonna need 2-120's right away, and have the option to put 2 more where your video cards go, but that rarely works seeing as how the space time paradox dictates that 2 objects cant inhabit the same space at the same time, i.e. fans AND video card.

If i were you i would look at the df-85 or the 1200 v3 there both 159, and your gonna hit that range after you buy 2-120 mm quality fans.

For the price I'd say go for the Graphite 600T if you're going to consider the DF-85. Alternately you could consider something like the NZXT Phantom : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
January 25, 2012 11:21:09 PM

im looking for a mid tower, the 1100 is the biggest i want to go. i dont want to go a full because it just wont fit where i want it to go and i want the fan on top to be able to breath (only have about half a foot with the 1100 as it is). I like the look of the 1100 since its pretty much a larger version of the 900 i was looking originally looking at. The 900 does have two more fans but the 1100 has more room, and alot more options with wire management/ fan filters/ and fan control on the back which is nice. I dont like the power switch location but i can get over that. I only think i would need to buy is just 2 fans for the front. But might get one for the left side window too for the hell of it. Looking at just picking up these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... they got the blue LED's to match the other two fans the antec comes with. Plus my board is blue so it should look nice all together.

Also i watched a video of someone with the antec 1100 and he had the same graphics card im buying and still had about a half an inch between the fan and his graphics card. I think thats overkill with the 2 fans on the inside, but hey its nice to have the option.

So far with the new case and fans it bring my total up to 1,302.13 with shipping from new egg and thats the max i want to go.

I'm going down to mircocenter tomorrow in boston to see if they can price match some of new eggs prices and maybe give me a deal if i buy it all together there. Plus they have the i5 2500k for $180 which is 40 bucks cheaper than neweggs. Also they have a WD hardrive with the same specs for $40 cheaper than the Sea Gate. Has mixed reviews on newegg but they all seem recent so im just going to assume its a bad bunch. Atleast if it craps out on me there only 20 minutes away. Hopefully i can save about 100-150 with them. Maybe if im lucky i can get some kind of deal going in there and dropping over 1k in cash. Have to see how it goes, wish me luck.

Im also going to pick up a different RAM. Watched a video of someone installing the Hyper 212 cooler and there is no way my tall ass ram is going to fit. Might pick up http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... G.Skill has better reviews but im leaning towards the kingston mostly because its blue and white. It would look real nice on my motherboard...lol.
January 26, 2012 3:46:45 AM

Corsair also has some low memory profile ram that has blue mem coolers on em.
!