Best gsm phone?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

What is the best gsm "world" phone for voice/text use?
Camera, video, etc., not needed.
26 answers Last reply
More about best phone
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

    "Cell Newbie" <cellnewbie@null.void> wrote in message
    > What is the best gsm "world" phone for voice/text use?
    > Camera, video, etc., not needed.

    To paraphrase Bill Clinton, that all depends on what the meaning of the word
    "world" is.
    Do you need GSM 850? Will you travel to Japan?

    --
    Donald Newcomb
    DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

    For the $, you can't beat the Motorola V220.

    "Cell Newbie" <cellnewbie@null.void> wrote in message
    > What is the best gsm "world" phone for voice/text use?
    > Camera, video, etc., not needed.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 19:06:34 -0400, "WJ"
    <webjuicemanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >For the $, you can't beat the Motorola V220.
    >
    >"Cell Newbie" <cellnewbie@null.void> wrote in message
    >> What is the best gsm "world" phone for voice/text use?
    >> Camera, video, etc., not needed.

    Oh yes you can for the money! The V220 isn't exactly a chep phone.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.gsm - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <281020041136304717%cellnewbie@null.void> on Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:36:35 GMT,
    Cell Newbie <cellnewbie@null.void> wrote:

    >What is the best gsm "world" phone for voice/text use?
    >Camera, video, etc., not needed.

    Motorola V400

  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

    : >What is the best gsm "world" phone for voice/text use?
    : >Camera, video, etc., not needed.
    :
    : Motorola V400

    Thanks. And within the Nokia line? (Most of our relatives seem to have
    Nokias. More to the point, they have Nokia chargers in their homes and
    cars! In case we forget ours, that is an attraction.)
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:33:16 GMT, Cell Newbie <cellnewbie@null.void>
    wrote:

    >John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
    >
    >: >What is the best gsm "world" phone for voice/text use?
    >: >Camera, video, etc., not needed.
    >:
    >: Motorola V400
    >
    >Thanks. And within the Nokia line? (Most of our relatives seem to have
    >Nokias. More to the point, they have Nokia chargers in their homes and
    >cars! In case we forget ours, that is an attraction.)

    If that's what you wanted why didn't you ask that in your initial
    question? Why waste people's time giving you information that you
    cannot use?

  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

    In article <41817a1c_1@news1.prserv.net>, Donald Newcomb wrote:
    : To paraphrase Bill Clinton, that all depends on what the meaning of the word
    : "world" is.
    : Do you need GSM 850? Will you travel to Japan?

    850: No, 900/1800 should be ok.
    Travel to Japan: Yes, but not that frequently, and I also thought they
    have a completely different system?
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

    > In article <41817a1c_1@news1.prserv.net>, Donald Newcomb wrote:
    > : To paraphrase Bill Clinton, that all depends on what the meaning of the
    word
    > : "world" is.
    > : Do you need GSM 850? Will you travel to Japan?
    >
    > 850: No, 900/1800 should be ok.
    > Travel to Japan: Yes, but not that frequently, and I also thought they
    > have a completely different system?

    For many years Japan was a wirless world unto itself. Recently two carriers
    Vodafone KK (J-Phone) and DoCoMo have rolled out international standard
    WCDMA 3G service. This means that in most areas or Japan you can roam using
    a WCDMA phone and a GSM SIM. Vodafone rents Nokia 6650s at the airport for a
    paltry 1000 Yen (about $10) per day, which adds up pretty quick if you go
    there for a month at a time, like I sometimes do. I recently purchased a
    Moto A835 from an eBayer in UK and have been using it with my T-Mobile SIM
    around home. I plan to use it when I visit Japan next month. We'll see how
    well this theory works.

    Anyway. If all you need is tri-band GSM voice & text. Heck. Just pick up and
    Ericsson R520. They were about $100 two years ago on eBay. They should be
    almost free now. The key points you want are:
    1. 900 *AND* 1800: So you can use any signal or SIM available.
    2. Unlocked. So you can use any SIM you happen to find.

    --
    Donald Newcomb
    DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

    Donald Newcomb <DRNewcomb@attglobal.NOT.net> wrote:

    : Anyway. If all you need is tri-band GSM voice & text. Heck. Just pick up and
    : Ericsson R520. They were about $100 two years ago on eBay. They should be
    : almost free now.

    Thanks. However, let me ask you what I asked in another post: what
    would your recommendation be within Nokia? (Most of our relatives seem
    to have Nokias, which means they have Nokia chargers in their homes and
    cars! In traveling that is useful. Not a make-or-break thing but
    attractive.)

    : The key points you want are:
    : 1. 900 *AND* 1800: So you can use any signal or SIM available.
    : 2. Unlocked. So you can use any SIM you happen to find.

    Thanks again.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 03:41:37 GMT, Cell Newbie <cellnewbie@null.void>
    wrote:

    >Thanks. However, let me ask you what I asked in another post: what
    >would your recommendation be within Nokia? (Most of our relatives seem
    >to have Nokias, which means they have Nokia chargers in their homes and
    >cars! In traveling that is useful. Not a make-or-break thing but
    >attractive.)

    There are many Nokia tri-band models that have been introduced in the
    last three years.

    Go to www.phonescoop.com and choose those features you need.

  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

    > Thanks. However, let me ask you what I asked in another post: what
    > would your recommendation be within Nokia? (Most of our relatives seem
    > to have Nokias, which means they have Nokia chargers in their homes and
    > cars! In traveling that is useful. Not a make-or-break thing but
    > attractive.)

    The last Nokia I bought was a 5190. Not what Nokia I'd recommend. Of course,
    not all Nokia chargers work with every Nokia phone, so even if I were
    recommend one, your relatives' accessories may not work.

    Actually, this is kind of asking what's the "best off-road vehicle" and then
    after everyone tells you "Dodge" or "GMC", you come back and tell them the
    answer had to be limited to Fords.

    --
    Donald Newcomb
    DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 05:22:10 -0500, "Donald Newcomb"
    <DRNewcomb@attglobal.NOT.net> wrote:

    >The last Nokia I bought was a 5190. Not what Nokia I'd recommend. Of course,
    >not all Nokia chargers work with every Nokia phone, so even if I were
    >recommend one, your relatives' accessories may not work.

    Well, since they were looking for a tri-band world phone the 5190
    probably wouldn't work too well :)

    As for chargers if it's a phone that's been made in the last three
    years pretty much all the recent Nokia chargers will work. The ACP7
    charger will work on pretty much all Nokias albeit slowly as it's a
    trickle charger. ACP12 will work on recent Nokias but will not work
    on older models such as the 51XX or 61XX models. The ACP7 charger
    will work on everything except perhaps the older analog only phones
    which I believe used higher voltage.

  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

    Cell Newbie <cellnewbie@null.void> wrote:

    > And within the Nokia line? (Most of our relatives seem to have
    > Nokias. More to the point, they have Nokia chargers in their
    > homes and cars! In case we forget ours, that is an attraction.)

    --> <news:alt.cellular.nokia>

    M.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 05:22:10 -0500, "Donald Newcomb"
    <DRNewcomb@attglobal.NOT.net> wrote:

    >"Cell Newbie" <cellnewbie@null.void> wrote in message
    >> Thanks. However, let me ask you what I asked in another post: what
    >> would your recommendation be within Nokia? (Most of our relatives seem
    >> to have Nokias, which means they have Nokia chargers in their homes and
    >> cars! In traveling that is useful. Not a make-or-break thing but
    >> attractive.)
    >
    >The last Nokia I bought was a 5190. Not what Nokia I'd recommend. Of course,
    >not all Nokia chargers work with every Nokia phone, so even if I were
    >recommend one, your relatives' accessories may not work.

    Interestingly enough, Nokia scored at the bottom of a just-release JD
    Power survey designed to gauge customer satisfaction with all the top
    models.

    Sanyo came in first, followed by Samsung, LG, Motorola, Audiovox,
    Kyocera, Sony Ericsson and Nokia.

    It would appear they didn't get a ton of GSM users included in the
    survey, as many of the companies on this list don't have much of a GSM
    presence -- or in the case of Audiovox and Kyocera as far as I know,
    none at all.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

    Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:

    : The ACP7 charger will work on pretty much all Nokias albeit slowly
    : as it's a trickle charger. ACP12 will work on recent Nokias but will
    : not work on older models such as the 51XX or 61XX models...

    Let me double check on that: would ACP12 not work with 6100?
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:02:20 GMT, RPS <rps@null.void> wrote:

    >Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >: The ACP7 charger will work on pretty much all Nokias albeit slowly
    >: as it's a trickle charger. ACP12 will work on recent Nokias but will
    >: not work on older models such as the 51XX or 61XX models...
    >
    >Let me double check on that: would ACP12 not work with 6100?

    Is it multi-band 900/1800/1900 or 850/1800/1900? If so then probably
    yes. My ACP12 charger works with my single band Nokia 3390 but does
    not work with either my 5190 or 6190.

  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

    Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:

    : >: >What is the best gsm "world" phone for voice/text use?
    : >: >Camera, video, etc., not needed.
    : >:
    : >: Motorola V400
    : >
    : >Thanks. And within the Nokia line? (Most of our relatives seem to have
    : >Nokias. More to the point, they have Nokia chargers in their homes and
    : >cars! In case we forget ours, that is an attraction.)
    :
    : If that's what you wanted why didn't you ask that in your initial
    : question? Why waste people's time giving you information that you
    : cannot use?

    Dear Joseph, let me defend/explain OP's viewpoint as I am often in
    similar situations. He is trying to include a consideration which is
    not a deciding factor on its own: What is the best phone overall?
    How much better is it than the best Nokia, which would be attractive
    for a secondary reason?

    This is not too different from wondering which is the best car in terms
    of driving it, and factoring in which one is easier to get serviced in
    your town or along the highways you drive. Many companies go through
    similar thinking on Mac/PC issue: a mac would be the best for one
    department's needs but a pc, if it comes close, would fit better in the
    company's overall IT environment and in their leasing, training, and
    maintenance contracts.

    The OP could have said it better, but it is part of being a newbie to
    discover considerations one at a time. I absolve him because he
    identified himself as a newbie. Other people's time is not wasted, the
    OP has useful information: Now he can go back and compare the
    recommended Motorola V220 and V400 with the best model he
    finds within Nokia. That's a fairly healthy process IMHO.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

    Donald Newcomb <DRNewcomb@attglobal.NOT.net> wrote:

    : Actually, this is kind of asking what's the "best off-road vehicle" and then
    : after everyone tells you "Dodge" or "GMC", you come back and tell them the
    : answer had to be limited to Fords.

    Wrong. He is not saying the answer has to be limited to Fords. He is
    saying that Fords have an extra attraction. But he'd buy a GMC if it is
    sufficiently better.

    The example is not too far fetched. My family in India is going through
    a similar dilemna. The best car, within their budget, is a Toyota or
    Honda. But a very good car, with absolutely the best service network
    everywhere, is Suzuki/Maruti which had a 15-year headstart in that
    market. They haven't decided yet. :)

    Look, you are not giving a seminar to experts. The OP indetified
    himself as a newbie and is discovering considerations piecemeal. It is
    kind of you to answer novices but then all this comes with the
    territory. And you should certainly not distort someone's words.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

    "Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 05:22:10 -0500, "Donald Newcomb"
    > <DRNewcomb@attglobal.NOT.net> wrote:
    >
    > >The last Nokia I bought was a 5190. Not what Nokia I'd recommend. Of
    course,
    > >not all Nokia chargers work with every Nokia phone, so even if I were
    > >recommend one, your relatives' accessories may not work.
    >
    > Well, since they were looking for a tri-band world phone the 5190
    > probably wouldn't work too well :)

    That's what happens when I post at 05:22. I could have sworn it said,
    "Not sure what Nokia I'd recommend."

    --
    Donald Newcomb
    DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net
  20. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

    "RPS" <rps@null.void> wrote in message
    > Wrong. He is not saying the answer has to be limited to Fords. He is
    > saying that Fords have an extra attraction. But he'd buy a GMC if it is
    > sufficiently better.

    OK. The last Ford I owned was a 1972 model year, so I don't have any current
    recommendations on Fords.

    --
    Donald Newcomb
    DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net
  21. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

    "Cell Newbie" <cellnewbie@null.void> wrote in message
    > Donald Newcomb <DRNewcomb@attglobal.NOT.net> wrote:
    >
    > : Anyway. If all you need is tri-band GSM voice & text. Heck. Just pick up
    > and
    > : Ericsson R520. They were about $100 two years ago on eBay. They should
    > be
    > : almost free now.

    True. The R520m is a superb phone. It has Bluetooth and is mobile internet
    capable. In addition, its RF performance is especially good. On the
    other hand, its display is monochrome only, it has no camera, and is a
    European triband (900, 1800, 1900), i.e., it works on only one US
    frequency. The R520m is out of production (to the best of my knowledge) and
    the remaining inventories have been largely sold off by now so they are hard
    to find. For anyone who'd like a spare GSM phone you can hardly do better.
    In fact, you'll find yourself using it more than your new state-of-the-art
    model because the 520 works and handles so well. When the price of a new
    one hit $60, I bought three to distribute to members of my family. If you
    can get one, grab it.
    -- Cary
  22. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:14:15 -0400, "Cary" <cary@comcast.net> wrote:

    >On the
    >other hand, its display is monochrome only, it has no camera, and is a
    >European triband (900, 1800, 1900), i.e., it works on only one US
    >frequency.

    Monochrome screen and no camera probably means that it has better
    battery life than the equivalent with colour screen and camera. If
    the phone is the bargain that it is you can use a phone that has
    colour, a camera and both North American GSM bands if that's important
    to you when you're not in Europe.

    Moto P280

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:36:35 GMT, Cell Newbie <cellnewbie@null.void>
    wrote:

    >What is the best gsm "world" phone for voice/text use?
    >Camera, video, etc., not needed.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:14:15 -0400, "Cary" <cary@comcast.net> said in
    alt.cellular:

    >True. The R520m is a superb phone. It has Bluetooth and is mobile internet
    >capable. In addition, its RF performance is especially good. On the
    >other hand, its display is monochrome only, it has no camera

    And the downside is?

    We *are* talking about a telephone, right? Not a digital camera? Not
    a pocket PC? Something used to talk to people who aren't in the
    immediate vicinity?

    Oh, excuse me, my laptop is ringing - the wash must be done.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:15:51 GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:

    >On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:14:15 -0400, "Cary" <cary@comcast.net> said in
    >alt.cellular:
    >
    >>True. The R520m is a superb phone. It has Bluetooth and is mobile internet
    >>capable. In addition, its RF performance is especially good. On the
    >>other hand, its display is monochrome only, it has no camera
    >
    >And the downside is?
    I haven't found one yet, I have a pair of them, and with the 'Ugly'
    battery, standby time is just about forever...
  26. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular (More info?)

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:51:54 -0700, matt weber <mattheww50@cox.net>
    said in alt.cellular:

    >On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:15:51 GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:14:15 -0400, "Cary" <cary@comcast.net> said in
    >>alt.cellular:
    >>
    >>>True. The R520m is a superb phone. It has Bluetooth and is mobile internet
    >>>capable. In addition, its RF performance is especially good. On the
    >>>other hand, its display is monochrome only, it has no camera

    >>And the downside is?
    >I haven't found one yet, I have a pair of them, and with the 'Ugly'
    >battery, standby time is just about forever...

    It was a joke. The monochrome display and lack of cameras are
    benefits imo.

GSM Phones Cameras Product