* HDMI connections: 3 (1 side 2 rear)
* S-Video Inputs: 3 (1 side 2 rear)
* Component Video A/V Input: 2 (rear)
* USB 2.0 Connection: (1 side)
* PC (RGB) input: 1 (rear)
* Composite video input: 1 (side)
* Headphone Jack: 1 (side)
* RF input: 2 (rear)

any of these work? (I'm a total noob when it comes to audio connections)

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
there doesnt seem to be any left and right channel rca analog outputs (or optical/coaxial digital audio outputs, it only offers HDMI for that)... so the closest thing it seems you can get with your 2.1s is to connect them to the headphone output jack. and that should provide 2 channel stereo to your 2.1 channel speakers

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
well, for the Z-4Is, the HDMI connections wont matter, even with both the dvd player and TV supporting them. it doesnt seem that the Z-4Is have a digital audio input on them, and so no digital decoder then for dolby digital or dts either, based on the review im looking at anyhow:

http://www.xyzcomputing.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=495&Itemid=2&limit=1&limitstart=0

if you dont mind listening to dvds and such in analog 2 channel stereo, then the Z-4Is should work fine (left and right channel analog rca inputs are both on the back of the sub... again, it doesnt look like it supports a digital interface at all)

edit: as far as being supported, you can run a 1/8" male to 1/8" male stereo cable from the TVs headphone jack to the Z-4Is green stereo input jack... or you can run 2 rca cables from the dvd player to the Z-4Is to get analog stereo that way... the dvd player should have left and right channel analog rca outputs on it.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
its not bad... the main difference though is you wont get the 5.1+ discrete surround channels... which consists of the 2 front left and right channels like you would have otherwise (full range front speakers are ideal, because they provide sufficient bass then by themselves, without needing a seperate sub for that), a center channel for vocals which is usually positioned right above or below the TV, two rear left and right channels for ambience and effects and such, and a seperate .1 LFE channel for additional seperate bass effects (explosions, etc) provided by the powered sub... and if you have more than 5.1 (6.1, 7.1, etc), you can have left and right side channels in addition too, primarily for more ambiance.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
You should make sure this is at all an upgrade.

TV speakers, as bad as they are, are going to have decent horizontal dispersion and from the looks of it you've got a horizontal sound bar for audio built in on the plasma.

Now we don't need to really get into "room-filling" horizontal dispersion in PC speakers, suffice to say it's pretty much non-existent for little satellites of this caliber.

As for connectivity, headphone jacks are (usually) 1/4" inch phono so you need an adapter for 1/4" to 1/8" and you should be good to go.

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
The reason why im getting these is because the tV's speakers are crappy...so...yeah.

I was planning on only using the built-in speakers for sound, so this should be a good upgrade, right?

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
I have no idea, you'll have to test it to find out.

I tried using a set of Logitech Z-560s for my TV once, and while it sounded slightly clearer, the poor horizontal dispersion compared to the TV reduced its usefulness unless it was just for a small room.

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I hate forumz now.........................

Anyway, they sound pretty damn horrible, much worse than my 20$ speakers I got for the office

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
router?

Anyway final question - the rebate for the Z-4is will be over on Friday - Should I get them for my TV, or not?
They cost ~40$ at Amazon, apart from the usual 80$...

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
ordered them for 34.99$ Yesterday -- back to 69.99$ today.....with that pricegrabber rebate, its 29.99$

Will brief on sound quality.