Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need help finding a replacement for Video Card and Power Supply

Last response: in Systems
January 25, 2012 8:45:14 AM

I bought this computer http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/pa... and I want to upgrade the power supply and the video card.

The power supply says on the side Allied ATX 350 Watt and the Model Number is SL-8360BTX

The Video Card is AX 5670- 16BD5-HV2

I mainly play Warcraft and The Sims 3 and games like Skyrim. Also, I will most likely be buying the new Mass Effect 3 game and would like to be able to play it without any problems. I would like to play the games on High or Ultra without a lot of lag. The price for each is not that big of a deal although I do not really want to spend more then 500.00 on a new graphics card. I do want positve name products especially for the power supply so that in the future if I want I can upgrade.

I was going to buy a new computer from IBUYPOWER but I think that I can save money by replacing these two things from this computer that is just a couple of months old then buying another one for around 2600.00 and I have been reading on here some and it seems that Cyberpower and IBUYPOWER do not have the best reputation so I am trying to put this one together the way that I want rather then having someone else do it

I was looking at this power supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... but I am not sure if it will work with my computer.

Any help would be great and thank you

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 12:25:07 PM

I think your graphics card is an HD 5450. That's pretty weak. Your CPU and RAM are fine. Your power supply is 350 Watts, not big enough for a good graphics card. A card and a PSU are all you need to have a darned good rig.

A SeaSonic S12II 620-Watt PSU can be had at Newegg for $70. That leaves $430 for the graphics card. I'm more familiar with the Nvidia cards, so I'm going to say EVGA 025-P3-1579-AR GeForce GTX 570 for about $400.

Tom's has a Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart that will show you roughly how much improvement you can expect (huge).
Related resources
January 25, 2012 1:57:05 PM

Rockdpm said:
Or get a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
And for video Card i recommend NVIDIA as well :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

that counts up to a 399.99 price tag for both (Without shipping and Tax) but u said nothing over 500$ so, this should work

I am new at putting these things together so I want to make sure that what I buy will work with my computer. So, with the items that you listed those will work with my computer even though the video card that it came with was the AMD one and I can replace the AMD card to one like GTX 580?

Thank you
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 2:28:31 PM

All that matters is the expansion slot, which is PCIe. Just be sure to have the computer unplugged, not just turned off, when you do anything inside.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 4:06:30 PM

Petrofsky said:
All that matters is the expansion slot, which is PCIe. Just be sure to have the computer unplugged, not just turned off, when you do anything inside.

The size of the micro ATX case might matter
" Measures approximately 13-7/8"H x 7-1/8"W x 16-7/8"D "
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2012 4:37:57 PM

delluser1 said:
The size of the micro ATX case might matter
" Measures approximately 13-7/8"H x 7-1/8"W x 16-7/8"D "

Dang. You're right. It might. The HD 5450 is a teensy thing at 6 3/4 inches. The GTX 570 is 9 inches, and the GTX 560Ti is 10 1/2.

@Sandylynn4578: Open the case and measure from the end of the HD 5450 graphics card to the first thing you run into toward the front of the case. You'll need at least 2 1/4 inches to fit the GTX 570 and 3 3/4 inches for the GTX 560Ti.
Score
January 30, 2012 7:30:27 AM

Best answer selected by Sandylynn4578.
Score
a b ) Power supply
a c 272 U Graphics card
January 30, 2012 8:36:03 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!