Beginner’s Question about choosing a Desktop systems

Unrealmaster287

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Hello,
I am new to building desktops and desktops in general (but I am experienced in the area of notebooks) and I would like to purchase my first “proper” PC soon, so I would like to ask should I purchase it from Dell, Origin, or build it from scratch?
Currently I am interested in dell’s alienware system the Aurora, and origin’s Genesis but can’t make up my mind! Alienware seems like an all in one pre prepared package but origin gives you more control over the parts you use like motherboard, etc. and seems infinitely upgradable so it’s the closest thing that I have to custom building a pc (with my skill set) . Does it really make a difference!
Second thing if I purchase an origin, will I be able to change the motherboard/CPU/GPU to match the latest specs, same for alienware?
So I would like to ask which of the 2 you would recommend origin or Dell. Or is there any other good ones?

Thank you in advance

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
The is a question of Preference. If you are willing to do the research and have the patience to learn. I recommend building your own. To get a feel for what that is like I recommend youtube or going here. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=791179&page=513 Tom's is also the best place for suggested builds. Alienware has a profit margin on their computers of about 100% put short your not getting what you are paying for. So I say build your own. You will know whats in it and you will learn how to troubleshoot the issues when your done. I have been doing for years its a blast.

Wolfshadw

Titan
My (very) basic rule of thumb is if the budget is over $600, then build it yourself. I've not heard of Origin before and I've not had problems with the two Dell laptops I've purchased over the years.

One thing I would do in your situation would be to price out the Dell system you want to get; noting all of the components you've selected. Then go to computer component websites like Newegg, Amazon, TigerDirect, Microcenter (if you have one nearby) and Fry's and do some comparison shopping using the components in the Dell build.

If the cost of building is significantly less than the cost of purchasing, you need to decide if that extra cost is worth the support you'd get from Dell. If you build it yourself, you are the only support you have (of course, we're here to help as best we can).

If you decide you want to build it yourself, there is a sticky at the top of this forum on how to ask for build advice. Start a new thread by filling out that form and we'll give you our advice.

-Wolf sends

You have Newegg's return and RMA policies, and when that runs out, you have the manufacturer's warranty and RMA policies. Some companies do a better job in this department than others, but I think most of them, most of the time, are good. I've done RMAs over the years with Newegg, A-Data, Asus, Gigabyte, Mushkin, and perhaps 1-2 others, and all went smoothly. Only Diamond proved so unable to provide support that, in combination with other factors indicating incompetence, it earned them a place on my personal "Do Not Buy" list.
I once priced out a system for someone similar to a Dell, and was very pleasantly surprised that the Dell was NOT cheaper, particularly given that I was using a better class of component than Dell uses. Dell is only cheaper in base configurations, but once you add enhancements (e.g. more RAM, a discrete GPU) or improvements (380W Antec Earthwatts vs. 305W FSP), the costs quickly go up.

biscuitasylum

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

Try combining Gateways, Dells, and HP oems and see how much fun ya have.. lol That's what got me into building computers. Breaking OEM systems into working together, kinda like breaking a horse to ride, giddy-up! Sometimes its too easy, and other times... grab a soldering iron and get ready to rumble. lol

I totally agree with Diamond products. I've seen better support from Huggies Pull Ups.

Alienware... run from it. They arent what they used to be. in fact, even then, they still weren't all that. Youre basically spending money on an overbloated machine that you could have built yourself at half the cost. Another words... you're spending all that money on the name and their stupid looking cases. I never was a huge fan of anything Alienware. After you build your first home PC... you'll find that your costs stay minimal and it makes troubleshooting easier... at least for me it did. Plus, that sense of accomplishment and the sense of pride... is well worth it.

Origin... I have no experience with them. They are basically the same as IBUYPOWER.com.

peep1988

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

first some basics if you dont do much video editing than get a i5 2500k and nothing more serisouly morons you get a i7 3900 whatever are getting almost no performance upgrade unless you do *** loads of editing next when you get ram psu and gpu please get a name brand a no name psu can utterly destroy your whole build last if you can wait please do since ivy bridge and the new nvidia and amd gpu are coming and at about the same price as last gen and windows 8

yes and no cyberpower and ibuypower are way cheaper but their customer service isnt as good as alienware would be personally build it yourself it seems like you have a generally knowledge of computers i dont so im going with ibuypower

Cyberpower, like Ibuypower and other larger boutique vendors, use some crappy parts (like ancient, inefficient PSUs and slow RAM) in their builds. If you select the right upgrades, I think you can get a decent system, but the price will have gone up to the point where, since you're choosing the parts anyway, you may as well build it yourself too.