Oct 16, 2011
Hello everyone!

Relevant PC specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte G1.Sniper2
CPU: 2600k
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 580 Super overclock edition (SOC) x2 SLI
PSU: Silverstone Strider 1200w Gold

The problem (Since day of purchase):
When the GPU's are stressed in any gaming application, a very audible 'buzzing/clicking noise' is heard. It is a very rapid buzzing noise, liken to electrical clicking. This noise differs in loudness by how much the GPU's are being stressed, so for high intensive games such as Battlefield 3 and Witcher 2, the 'buzzing' noise is very loud (easily heard over all system fans and a H80 CPU cooler) and very rapid. However even in games such as Minecraft, the buzzing noise is still present just less audible (but you can still hear it over all cooling). The noise is coming from the GPU section of the motherboard.

Testing:
I originally had a Corsair 1050hx PSU inside this computer. My brother with a similar computer setup, except he had Sapphire 6950 crossfire GPUS, also produced the same sound. A computer technician found it was the PSU, the PSU was RMA'd and to my amazement the noise was completely gone. CORSAIR even have a forum Sticky dedicated to this problem in their PSU. So I decided to replace my PSU (Corsair 1050hx) with a Silverstone Strider 1200w Gold and unfortunately the noise was still present (exact same).

I have removed and tested each GPU individually, 3x Gigabyte GTX 580 super overclock (one RMA'd due to faulty fan bearing). Yet still, the noise was consistent throughout.

I have now returned the computer for individual parts testing at place of purchase. The technician has tested different GPU's on the MOBO such as the GTX 560 and another GTX 580 of the same model. Still the same noise.
Furthermore, the technician has swapped out different powersupplies and even placed the GPU's and PSU onto a different Motherboard and still the same problem!

Solution???
After all the above testing, my last idea was possible VRM noise coming from the motherboard. So now I am completely lost, is it possible that the Gigabyte GPUS and Motherboard and the different brand PSUS are ALL at fault? Different configuration for these parts have shown the same problem. I've had a range of possible reasons being Coil Whine (Does this noise when Witcher 2 is run without vysch enabled, loud screeching noise), VRM noise, EMI leakage.
Good old Rodney Reynolds has stated in his videos that such noises can only be present on the MOBO/PSU/GPU due to a bad capacitor. What really drives me crazy is that on all these parts purchased, the packaging label it as "japanese sold capacitor" no noise! Wrong :(

If anyone has any ideas/suggestions please, PLEASE help! I have to call up the technician tommorow, so I'm hoping someone would have an idea as to where to go next.

Thanks everyone! Greatly appreciated.

robustus64

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Ya get an aftermarket sound card an place it in the bottom slot away from vid cards it will help. Seems to me its just noise from the video cards if seen it on many comp configs an i even have a mild form myself.When i placed my sound card from between my vid card s to bottom slot it helped tons.

taimoorali007

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012

really, me too getting hum from psu and then from headphones, will sound card solve that issue?

Xanthius

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
Have you considered it minecraft's problem? I just got the same problem. It never happened until i reset the video settings. then it buzzed. I tossed the old jar, got a new one and the buzzing is gone!