Sign in with
Your question
Closed

A video card for ASUS p8z68 mobo or not?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 26, 2011 1:37:47 PM

Hello,
I'm planning on building my own pc. I use my PC for watching HD movies from on-line or on my hard drive, download data from youtube, home video editing web-surfing, and simple tasks like skype phone calls; I'm a non-gamer. I have enough budget but don't want to squander my money because I'm only a partial entheusiast. I just want the fun of build my own pc tailored exact to my need.

Here's my question for my parts :
I choose intel i5 2500K and ASUS p8z68-V Pro, because
I want a very good mobo and cpu that's quite up-to-date so I can be use them for a long time with their great upgrade ability.

With this high-end mobo with on-board video, is there an advantage to get a discrete video card ? If yes, can you recommend one ? I got an " Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 512MB PCIe w/DVI/HDMI " without consulting anybody, now I'm thinking of returning it back (only 3 days left while I can still return.) I think I did not do enough research before choosing it. Can you give any advice ?

I want to have a blu-ray optic drive, what video card does blu-ray playing require, if any ?

If I want a good sound too, what sound card will you recommend to go with this mobo?

(Excuse my lousy English, which I learned as a second language. )

Thank you in advace.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
November 26, 2011 2:11:43 PM

I have an HTPC that I use for playing blu-rays - and HD files from the HDD - I would say the onboard video isn't good enough for playing those sorts of files. My PC has a Core i3 with Z68 mobo (HD 3000 graphics) and it was insufficient. I added an HD 6570 and now it plays nice and smooth.

Soooo....the HD 4850 has enough muscle to do it, but the newer 5XXX and 6XXX series have special firmware and circuitry designed for blu-ray playback (an added feature in the 6XXX firmware was 3D decoding, for instance).

I'd say go for a 6570 1GB - you'll be able to do light gaming as a bonus and certainly play all your files.
November 29, 2011 2:03:46 PM

inanition02 said:
I have an HTPC that I use for playing blu-rays - and HD files from the HDD ..............

I'd say go for a 6570 1GB - you'll be able to do light gaming as a bonus and certainly play all your files.

Thank you, your suggestion is exact what I need. By the way, do you also have suggestions for the sound card ? Since in the movie watching aspect, I'm like you. Thanks.
Score
Related resources
November 29, 2011 2:04:03 PM

Best answer selected by yuyu250.
Score
November 29, 2011 2:07:31 PM

well, I just clicked on Inanition02's " rig" ,and get the sound card " Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series PCI Express Sound Card ". So, Inanition02, if you come back to this thread and are happy with this sound card, please let me know. thx :) 
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2011 2:25:28 PM

yuyu250 said:
well, I just clicked on Inanition02's " rig" ,and get the sound card " Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series PCI Express Sound Card ". So, Inanition02, if you come back to this thread and are happy with this sound card, please let me know. thx :) 

Thats the card in my gaming pc not the htpc. In the htpc, i just run the sound over the hdmi cable through the 6570, no seperate sound card.

I should note, anymore on board sound is awesome, so you dont need a seperate card unless you need a specific input/output for a certain purpose. I do like the x-fi, but I was given it for free - wouldnt have bought it.
Score
!