What is the recomended CPU platform for Gaming / Editing Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marz01

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
Hi All

Am starting my research on a new rig predominantly for gaming but I do need it for studies using programs like autocad
Everywhere I read they seem to suggest that I should be looking at a 2500K as it overclocks to speeds similar to the bigger CPUS
But I have always believed bigger is better.

Please advise which platform I should be looking towards
I plan to run 2 graphics cards such as the 6950/70 2g

Thank You

Solution
Am starting my research on a new rig predominantly for gaming but I do need it for studies using programs like autocad
Everywhere I read they seem to suggest that I should be looking at a 2500K as it overclocks to speeds similar to the bigger CPUS

Define "bigger." Do you mean i7-2600K or the X79/i7-3000 series?

It really depends on what kind of work you're doing and how much you're doing. The i5-2500K will do well with AutoCAD, Photoshop, etc. for more-than-occasional usage (I use them all the time). However, if you're using those programs very regularly, then you should be looking the i7-2600K at minimum as you'll get a lot of benefits from hyperthreading, etc.

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
well if your only gaming then the i5 2500k really is better, but if you do music/video editing, 3d stuff and other programs besides gaming then you should aim for the i7 2600K

don't get the i7 2700k, it's much more expensive with little to no difference at all, so if you want to go higher then you should get the

i7 3930K (im using one now) or the i7 3960X if you really want to go extreme,

bucknutty

Distinguished
the i5 2500 is really the slowest chip you should consider. For the price to performance ratio the only options ar the i5 2500 for around $200 or the i7 2600-2700 for around 300.

There really are no other cpus that even come close to packing the same amount of bang for the buck.

Define "bigger." Do you mean i7-2600K or the X79/i7-3000 series?

It really depends on what kind of work you're doing and how much you're doing. The i5-2500K will do well with AutoCAD, Photoshop, etc. for more-than-occasional usage (I use them all the time). However, if you're using those programs very regularly, then you should be looking the i7-2600K at minimum as you'll get a lot of benefits from hyperthreading, etc.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.