Sign in with
Your question

Strange BIOS messages when I boot my new homebuilt

Last response: in Systems
January 25, 2012 12:11:50 PM

My new PC is running brilliantly. However, when I boot up 2 things happen

1. I get the message 'No hard disk was found' and then it goes away and the ASUS screen comes up again (even though my hard drive IS working)

2. It asks me to select either 'Windows 7' or 'Windows 7' ..I always select the first option and the PC boots up fine.

Can anyone help?
a b B Homebuilt system
January 25, 2012 12:18:28 PM

Do you have more than one hardrive connected? If so, windows may think you have 2 boot devices. I would disconnect the extra drives and pick one boot drive. Then connect the other drives while windows is running. Or windows may find two partitions on the same drive which means your installation wasn't done properly.
January 25, 2012 12:35:03 PM

verify that you dont have an extra hard drive listed in your bios that its looking for and not finding. The choose windows version tends to come up when youve used an upgrade edition and will be there till you remove the old version. ( Dont know thats the case with you, but thats been my experience.)
Related resources
January 25, 2012 2:16:58 PM

I have only one hard drive and it is my primary boot device. My secondary is the dvd drive.

I had windows 7 home premium. When I built this pc I installed windows 7 ultimate on another partition and then formatted the partition with home premium on it.
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2012 2:25:33 PM

Did you format the drive when you put it into your new rig?

either you have a messed up boot or multiple boot drives

as said above, if you got multiple drives, disconnect all but OS one and try then, if problem is solved one of your extra HDDs has windows OS on it which you need to get rid of.

if you only have 1 drive connected and the problem continues, you should format the drive and do a fresh install
a b B Homebuilt system
January 25, 2012 2:28:31 PM

That could be the cause, if you have multiple partitions still on the drive its going to do that, as for the DVD drive, it could (Weird) be detecting a copy of windows 7 hp in the dvd drive. Other than that its a odd situation.
January 25, 2012 2:34:54 PM

Yes there are multiple partitions on the drive, and the partition with the other win 7 has been formatted as stated above, so why is it still showing up when I boot?
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2012 9:51:51 PM

because when you do a new build you format the whole drive and add partitions after the OS
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2012 10:21:11 PM

Quote:
1. I get the message 'No hard disk was found' and then it goes away and the ASUS screen comes up again (even though my hard drive IS working)

This message occurs because the BIOS thinks you may have a RAID installed but because you do not it displays the message. You can ignore this message.

Quote:
2. It asks me to select either 'Windows 7' or 'Windows 7' ..I always select the first option and the PC boots up fine.

The second option is probably to boot from the recovery partition, it is easy to get rid of this by downloading the program BCDedit You can use it as a free user.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2676-bcdedit-how-u...

January 27, 2012 2:17:18 PM

try running the install again, choose repair. otherwise you could try editing the boot.ini via msconfig.
!