Cable behind motherboard

mikolv2

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Hi, I've got a quick question to you guys. My pc case doesn't have any cable management features so i wanted to get few cables under motherboard ( not the tray) because i got mobo standofs and they are long enough so there is enough place for cables. I wanted to ask if thats alright and if that matter i get about 42 degrees C on load on my cpu so i dont think its to hot.

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I run a few cables behind the motherboard(Top Case Fan) as well, has not caused any issues. As long as the cables don't have any wires exposed it won't pose any risk.

killersquirel11

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
It should be fine. There is a VERY slight possibility that a power cable next to the wrong part of the motherboard might interfere with some of the signals. So basically if the system starts acting funky after doing this, try relocating the power cables that are behind the mobo

Hello mikolv2;

You'll have to be especially careful that the cables don't break off or rub against any of the solder points.
13-131-794-Z04

bucknutty

Distinguished
I run small cables like case usb or case audio headers under the Mobo all the time. Never had an issue.

I personall would not run a power cable under the mobo simply because if you want to replace the PSU or if you want to rearange or tweak stuff you now need to remove the mobo to get acces to those cables.

WR2 is right on about makeing sure the pointy solder points dont damge the cable sheating.

killersquirel11

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Cables almost certainly won't break off a solder point. They are much more likely to rub through the sheathing and short to the solder point as bucknutty suggested. If you do run something behind the motherboard, you can avoid this problem by securing it to the case (i.e. with duct tape)