No video on post, even after changing monitor and GPU

mamendes

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Guys,

Yesterday the computer froze in a game. Then I restarted it and got no post, nothing. But then I realized the computer was working -- I could access it using VNC -- I just had no image on monitor.

I bought a new graphics card and installed it. Then I plugged to my TV using HDMI. And the same thing!

Tried also to put the gpu on the other pcie16 slot -- same thing again.

What the hell ??

How can a computer work without video even after changing the gpu and the monitor?

How can a computer work without video even after changing the gpu and the monitor?

Well, several ways.

You could have not hooked up the power cables from the psu to the video card.

You could have plugged the monitor into the motherboard instead of the video card.

Your power supply could have failed and won't power the video card.

But since you didn't tell us what these parts are that your talking about, we don't really know what the possibilities are.

mamendes

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
The computer was working. After freezing, the monitor went blank, although computer was working.
I don't think that is a good profile for a connection problem. But thanks for the interest.

mamendes

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
I finally found out!
Was the weird problem I ever seen, but I needed to short cut the CMOS battery to reset BIOS before changing the gpu.
Now I'm not sure if the old gpu caused that or if I still have one problem to solve.