S. Korean man dies after 50 hours of computer games

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/korea_games_dc;_ylt=AiGK7UJEjMqiX9jdxoOO42ys0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 21:52:36 -0400, "erico" <emolsen@comcast.net>
wrote:

>http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/korea_games_dc;_ylt=AiGK7UJEjMqiX9jdxoOO42ys0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-

PWNT!

erico wrote in his subject line:

> S. Korean man dies after 50 hours of computer games

Lightweight.

"erico" <emolsen@comcast.net> wrote in message
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/korea_games_dc;_ylt=AiGK7UJEjMqiX9jdxoOO42ys0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-

"presume the cause of the death was heart failure stemming from exhaustion"

Come again?
--
Charles C. Shyu
http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html

erico wrote:
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/korea_games_dc;_ylt=AiGK7UJEjMqiX9jdxoOO42ys0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-

PWNED!

Quoth The Raven "erico" <emolsen@comcast.net> in
b8CdnZ2dnZ1F7DCrnZ2dnfTAZN-dnZ2dRVn-yp2dnZ0@comcast.com
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/korea_games_dc;_ylt=AiGK7UJEjMqiX9jdxoOO42ys0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-

what was the previous record before this? 48hours?

--
The average person's left hand does 56% of the typing.

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me

Fizzlestix wrote:
> this was big news when it happened in 2002...
>
> funny, the name, age, and number of hours have been changed, but it's
> the same urban myth year after year...
>
> read here:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/7f56h

Sure, it's happened before, but that doesn't mean it's an urban legend.

Do you have a source that says it's an urban legend, because I can't
find one. I use www.snopes.com usually.

robin

"Bill Cable" <billcable@gmail.com> wrote in message
> You think Reuters got scammed? You'd think they'd fact
> check before
> sending it out on the wires.
>
> --
> Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
> http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!
> cable@creaturecantina.com

It reads like a story planted by the Korean government as a
sort of morality tale. "Don't quit your job. Don't play
too many video games. Remain a productive member of
society. Or else you'll DIE!"

"Robin" <robinandtami@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Bill Cable" <billcable@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> You think Reuters got scammed? You'd think they'd fact check before
>> sending it out on the wires.
>>
>> --
>> Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
>> http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!
>> cable@creaturecantina.com
>>

> It reads like a story planted by the Korean government as a sort of
> morality tale. "Don't quit your job. Don't play too many video games.
> Remain a productive member of society. Or else you'll DIE!"

Wrong side of the 38th.

Fred Liken wrote:
> "Robin" <robinandtami@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Bill Cable" <billcable@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>You think Reuters got scammed? You'd think they'd fact check before
>>>sending it out on the wires.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
>>>http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!
>>>cable@creaturecantina.com
>>>

>>It reads like a story planted by the Korean government as a sort of
>>morality tale. "Don't quit your job. Don't play too many video games.
>>Remain a productive member of society. Or else you'll DIE!"
>

> Wrong side of the 38th.

Not necessarily. South Korea has a long track record with that line of
thinking too. Perhaps they're trying to reinvigorate the Confucian
spirit, translated to English; bust your ass for your country and don't
expect any (material) thing in return.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"erico" <emolsen@comcast.net> wrote:
>http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/korea_games_dc;_ylt=AiGK7UJEjMqiX9jdxoOO42ys0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-

Only 50 hours? That's barely 2 days. Sissy.
I reckon I could game for more than 50 hours and manage not to die.

Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> writes:

> I reckon I could game for more than 50 hours and manage not to die.

Remember to increase difficulty by not eating or drinking anything.

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote:
> "erico" <emolsen@comcast.net> wrote:
>>http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/korea_games_dc;_ylt=AiGK7UJEjMqiX9jdxoOO42ys0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-
>
> Only 50 hours? That's barely 2 days. Sissy.
> I reckon I could game for more than 50 hours and manage not to die.

No, you need government protection. I propose we ban all videogames.

Think of the children.

--
Send mail to fadden@fadden.com (Andy McFadden) - http://www.fadden.com/
CD-Recordable FAQ - http://www.cdrfaq.org/

Jordan wrote:
> After about 30 to 36 hours I get really punchy from sleep deprivation.
> Solid objects tend to take on a wavy quality like seeing ripples on the
> surface of a pond.

What about corrugated steel -- what does it look like in such a state?

"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> After about 30 to 36 hours I get really punchy from sleep deprivation.
> Solid objects tend to take on a wavy quality like seeing ripples on the
> surface of a pond.

sur ur not brakng teh matrix?

On 10 Aug 2005 16:53:39 +0200, Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
<jadedgamer@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> writes:
>
>> I reckon I could game for more than 50 hours and manage not to die.
>
>Remember to increase difficulty by not eating or drinking anything.

And no urinating!

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Thusly Tor Iver Wilhelmsen <jadedgamer@hotmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>> I reckon I could game for more than 50 hours and manage not to die.
>
>Remember to increase difficulty by not eating or drinking anything.

Would still not kill you. You would start hallucinating and likely
suffer a psychotic episode from the sleep deprivation, but you
wouldn't die unless there were other factors involved.

You need to throw in a hereditary heart condition or weak blood
vessels in the brain, and ideally couple it with obesity and alcohol,
to have a decent chance of dying.

The take-home message here isn't really that excessive gaming kills,
but that if you have a health problem, possibly unknown to you, and
submit yourself to any kind of stress, there's a chance you'll die.

"Andy McFadden" <fadden@fadden.com> wrote in message
> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza>
> wrote:
>> "erico" <emolsen@comcast.net> wrote:
>>>http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/korea_games_dc;_ylt=AiGK7UJEjMqiX9jdxoOO42ys0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-
>>
>> Only 50 hours? That's barely 2 days. Sissy.
>> I reckon I could game for more than 50 hours and manage not to die.
>
> No, you need government protection. I propose we ban all videogames.
>
> Think of the children.

Well done, future senator.

"Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au> wrote:
>Quoth The Raven "erico" <emolsen@comcast.net> in
>b8CdnZ2dnZ1F7DCrnZ2dnfTAZN-dnZ2dRVn-yp2dnZ0@comcast.com
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/korea_games_dc;_ylt=AiGK7UJEjMqiX9jdxoOO42ys0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-
>
>what was the previous record before this? 48hours?

I've gamed for 40 hours and felt fine.

"Bateau" <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote in message
> "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au> wrote:
>>Quoth The Raven "erico" <emolsen@comcast.net> in
>>b8CdnZ2dnZ1F7DCrnZ2dnfTAZN-dnZ2dRVn-yp2dnZ0@comcast.com
>>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/korea_games_dc;_ylt=AiGK7UJEjMqiX9jdxoOO42ys0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-
>>
>>what was the previous record before this? 48hours?
>
> I've gamed for 40 hours and felt fine.

You're not Korean, are you?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

> I've gamed for 40 hours and felt fine.

Playing with yourself doesn't count.

robin

"Fred Liken" <nothanks@toocoolforschool.com> wrote in
message news:42fa5211$0$37109$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com...
> "Robin" <robinandtami@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bill Cable" <billcable@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> You think Reuters got scammed? You'd think they'd fact
>>> check before
>>> sending it out on the wires.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
>>> http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!
>>> cable@creaturecantina.com
>>>

>> It reads like a story planted by the Korean government as
>> a sort of morality tale. "Don't quit your job. Don't
>> play too many video games. Remain a productive member of
>> society. Or else you'll DIE!"
>
> Wrong side of the 38th.

Certainly you aren't implying that only communist
governments plant stories in the media?

>>> It reads like a story planted by the Korean government as a sort of
>>> morality tale. "Don't quit your job. Don't play too many video games.
>>> Remain a productive member of society. Or else you'll DIE!"
>>
>> Wrong side of the 38th.
>
> Certainly you aren't implying that only communist governments plant
> stories in the media?

You're right. My bad.

Robin wrote:

> Certainly you aren't implying that only communist
> governments plant stories in the media?

No, but have you ever read some articles from North Korea on Kim Jong
Il? I'm sure his Nobel Peace Prize is on the way.

Swi

Quoth The Raven "Bateau" <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> in
olrjf1tn0v8o8iol7duqk2ru4qh6j0cvlj@4ax.com
> "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au> wrote:
>>Quoth The Raven "erico" <emolsen@comcast.net> in
>>b8CdnZ2dnZ1F7DCrnZ2dnfTAZN-dnZ2dRVn-yp2dnZ0@comcast.com
>>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/korea_games_dc;_ylt=AiGK7UJEjMqiX9jdxoOO42ys0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-
>>
>>what was the previous record before this? 48hours?
>
> I've gamed for 40 hours and felt fine.

but many will complain you're still alive, I was looking to see how long the
previous guy stayed upright before he died.

--
As a matter of principle I never attend the first annual anything.

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me