Segate U5 40 GB problems

agpport

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2001
Yesterday I put together my new PC and installed win98( 1st edition). Everyrhing works like a charm except it says my 40 GB Seagate U5 is 1,99 GB.

1. Could it be that I installed DOS 6.2 while waiting to get the win98 CD? I formatted C:, installed DOS, and FDISK said it was 2 GB. Then I formatted again and installed
win 98 and C: is still 2 GB. I have not partitioned the HDD.

2. In BIOS I can enable LBA and a setting called "Large" that is supposed to be used when DOS cannot use the whole HDD but none of them works for me.

3. I guess the 2 GB formatted in DOS 6.2 is FAT 16. Is FAT16 limited to about 2 GB?

4. If so, can it be that win 98 only recognices the FAT16 formatted part of the disk?

5. Can my problem be solved by converting it to FAT32? And will windows convert more than the 2 GB it knows and loves?

6. In the device manager my HDD is listed as "Generic IDE type 47". The only setting I can change is to enable DMA. Is this a good thing to do?

Any tips appreciated!

Abit KT7A, Duron 750, 128 MB PC133 cas2, Seagate U5 40 GB,
Leadtek GeForce2 MX, SB 128 Vibra

G

You've answered it..

Leave the drive in LBA mode and remove and repartition the drive with fdisk from Win98 bootdisk.

DOS can not address a drive in LBA mode, thus is limited to 8GB total and 2GB partitions.

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***