Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is this pc config good for gaming?

Last response: in Systems
January 25, 2012 2:12:26 PM

hello,
guys i need your advice. I want to play games like battlefield 3, crysis 2, nfs run at their max settings. I'l be playing on a single monitor and i wont be operating at resolutions higher than 1600*1200. So please tell me whether my pc config is good enough or not... Here are the specs:-

intel i5-2500k
amd hd 6950 2gb
intel dh61ww motherboard
600w smps or psu
250gb hdd
8gb ddr3 1333mhz

one more thing i wont be overclocking my cpu or gpu... Thanks in advance.

More about : config good gaming

Best solution

January 25, 2012 2:25:26 PM

Hey,

1) If you're not overclocking your CPU, there's no reason to get the k model. Drop down to an i5-2500.
2) 2GB of GPU memory will be wasted on a single display -- you can save $30 by going with a 1GB model.
3) Make sure you choose a reputable brand for your PSU. 600W will be plenty for your system.

Your system should be fine running BF3 and Crysis 2 maxed at 1600x1200.
January 25, 2012 2:35:56 PM

Idk i think hes be set for the long run with the extra gig or vram. Unless he is expecting to get a bigger and better AMD card later on
Related resources
January 25, 2012 2:37:31 PM

Yeah that should handle anything out there dude, nice setup!
January 25, 2012 3:44:23 PM

ultimabeam said:
Hey,

1) If you're not overclocking your CPU, there's no reason to get the k model. Drop down to an i5-2500.
2) 2GB of GPU memory will be wasted on a single display -- you can save $30 by going with a 1GB model.
3) Make sure you choose a reputable brand for your PSU. 600W will be plenty for your system.

Your system should be fine running BF3 and Crysis 2 maxed at 1600x1200.

thanks for replying so soon ultimabeam. Well, i m going for i5-2500k cause its just around 4$ costlier than i5-2500 in my country. Concerning gpu memory- i think 2gb memory will be good in the long run as we are seeing games being relased with min 512 mb gpu memory requirement now itself and the psu is of coolermaster brand.

Will the motherboard that i specified degrade performance of cpu or gpu?

and please suggest a cabinet for this config in price range of 40$-50$..
January 25, 2012 3:56:58 PM

For $4 more, that's a steal.

2GB is also fine if you choose; I think it's a bit of a waste with your current monitor, but if you get a new/second display or games get way more memory-intensive it'll be a fine investment.

The motherboard (assuming it doesn't show up DOA) will not limit your CPU or GPU.

In the $40-$50 range the NZXT Gamma and Rosewill Challenger are good case options.
January 25, 2012 4:07:14 PM

Thanks for cabinet suggestions. By the way wats DOA?
January 26, 2012 12:46:13 PM

ultimabeam said:
For $4 more, that's a steal.

2GB is also fine if you choose; I think it's a bit of a waste with your current monitor, but if you get a new/second display or games get way more memory-intensive it'll be a fine investment.

The motherboard (assuming it doesn't show up DOA) will not limit your CPU or GPU.

In the $40-$50 range the NZXT Gamma and Rosewill Challenger are good case options.

Thanks for cabinet suggestions dude. I think i'l go for rosewill challenger. Well, my psu is coolermaster extreme power duo 600w, so are u sure that there will be no compatibilty issues with the rest of my config and this 4-year old psu...

By the way what's DOA and what do you mean by assuming it wont?
January 26, 2012 1:02:04 PM

sorry I missed this. DOA is "dead on arrival" -- motherboards have a relatively high failure rate, and Intel is not exactly known as the best motherboard manufacturer. There's a lack of feedback on the board you have selected, which doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, just that it may not be as well vetted as some other board options (all of which are likely to be more expensive).

Your power supply should be fine.
January 26, 2012 1:08:43 PM

Best answer selected by simharnitish.
January 26, 2012 2:19:26 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!