Potentially upgrading from 8800GT, $200 budget

Hi all,

I'm considering a few upgrades for my PC this winter. My current build is a Core 2 Duo E6750 on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, with 2 gigs of DDR2. (I know, I know, 2 gigs of ram, way overdue for more.)

However, ideally, I'll be upgrading the processor, mobo, and ram to a 2500K, with a z68 board, and some DDR3.

With that in mind, how much juice do you think I can squeeze out of my already exisiting 8800GT? Is it worth it to upgrade to another $200 card? Or would I really need to spend $300? Honestly, I can still get a good amount of juice out of the 8800 in games like Crysis 2 and L4D2, and I wonder if simply upgrading my CPU/Mobo/RAM would be worthwhile without replacing the 8800 right away.

Thoughts?

And if you think I should replace the 8800, can you please give me some suggestions? It's been awhile, as you might be able to tell.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: next 2 weeks

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (more Crysis side of things), video editing (HD footage), streaming video

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: 8800GT, with psu Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, but whatever

PARTS PREFERENCES: Prefer nVidia

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

Thanks in advance. :)
10 answers Last reply
More about potentially upgrading 8800gt budget
  1. The first card I thought of was the GTX 560Ti
    seems perfect for you
  2. king smp said:

the newegg link u provided is for a standard gtx 560, its not a gtx 560 Ti, this is the ti version http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125363
  3. i would tell u to get the ti version and oc it, you can get the performance of a stock gtx 570
  4. megagabobe1 said:
    the newegg link u provided is for a standard gtx 560, its not a gtx 560 Ti, this is the ti version http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125363

good catch
    I made a mistake
    I definitley agree with you
    the Ti is the one I was speaking of
    thank you
  5. king smp said:
    good catch
    I made a mistake
    I definitley agree with you
    the Ti is the one I was speaking of
    thank you

np man haha, that is the most expensive card i would get, i always aim for the best bang for the buck no matter my budget
  6. I agree with the choice of the 560ti , look out for the new model thats being released in the next couple of days , definately worth considering.
  7. I ended up going with the 6870, though the 560ti was a close contender. What it really came down to was the fact that I won't be playing games in 1080p... yet. Thanks all for the help!
  8. np bro
  9. also NP
    let us know how it works for you
    we get emotionally involved in these things LOL :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product