colorfulchemist

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Hello,

I recently just built my computer over the weekend (first build) and everything has been fine since Sunday. I have updated the mobo chipset, lan, usb and audio drivers, as well as the nvidia gpu driver. I also updated the firmware on my SSD yesterday with no problems (required firmware update to fix a bug). So…to my actual problem: I tried installing the asus ai suite ii software for my mobo last night. The install did not work, which seems to be a common problem in the internet community.. so there is a patcher file provided by asus to allow installation if you can’t install. I installed the patcher (I think, it was very quick and no pop ups that I noticed) and about 10 minutes later I have been getting BSOD saying Memory_Management. I saw 3 folders were created in program files folder when I attempted to install the ai suite ii…could not delete them, so I went into safe mode and deleted them that way. BSOD saying Memory_Management still occurring. When I boot my computer it’s generally frozen at the beginning when windows opens and I noticed most of the services are stopped. I ran system restore to try to fix the issue. Did not work. I’m going to attempt to update my BIOS when I get home from work, but beyond that I’m really lost and could use some help (probably on-site). I am very new to building computers and my knowledge is extremely limited.

Here are my computer specs:
intel i5 2500k w/ coolermaster 212+ cpu cooler
Evga gtx 570 sc
Asus sabertooth p67 mobo
Gskill ripjaws x 8gb (This RAM is rated for my cpu and is compatible with my mobo. I installed correctly for dual channel and also passed windows memory test last night. Also had the XMP setting enabled in my Asus bios…disabled the XMP and still getting the BSOD.)
Crucial 256gb ssd
Win7 professional 64-bit OEM

Also--I did call ASUS about the problem, they told me to update BIOS...but to be honest their tech support scares me...did not seem knowledgable and told me "look on youtube and stuff"....

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
To get the most out of your memory (without going above spec) reenable XMP, but I agree to run it without for testing purpose.

If you just installed Windows and have issues now after the failed attempt at the ai suite (seen it fail on many builds, stopped using/installing it on builds) and a restore does not fix the issue, I would just do a new clean Windows installation.

colorfulchemist

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Ok...thanks.
1) But to do a fresh installation do I simply insert my OEM Win7 disc and boot from disc???
2)Also, should I update my BIOS still or no?
3)Do i need to reinstall my mobo drivers chipset lan usb and audio after a fresh install?
4)Do i need to reset my CMOS?

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

Yes, simply boot from the dvd and chose to do a new installation, format the HDD in the process to make sure you do not carry over any old drivers.

Unless you have issues that a BIOS upgrade would fix there is no reason to do so.

Yes, you will need to do a complete install of all drivers.
Go to ASUS' site and download all the newest drivers, they are simple to get and install.

If it is working correctly now, no, there is no reason to do so.

colorfulchemist

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks Loth, two last questions before I do a fresh install...
1) "format the HDD in the process" Just make sure I select the maximum space for the drive right?

2) I did call ASUS tech support...they seemed extremely under-knowledged telling me to look on youtube or something. BUT one guy did say to update BIOS and it may fix the problem...so with that in mind...Fresh install or BIOS update?

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

Yes, when you chose to do a new install, you can reformat and partition the HDD, or simply chose to erase the old partition(s) and select to install without setting up any partition(s) and the install will format using the max amount of diskspace.

Sure, you can do a BIOS upgrade, it's rather simple.
Download the newest BIOS rom and afudos from their site, format a USB stick to boot and use that to update the BIOS (not too keen on their Windows update application, though it does work, but given the issues you currently have, I would not feel too comfortable using it).
But from what you are saying, I do not see how this would fix the issues you are currently experiencing, as it sounds like a driver installation gone wrong.

colorfulchemist

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Oh man. Not good.

-Came home, started reinstalling win7...@ expanding files I got a BSOD PFN_List_Corrupt (STOP: 0x0000004E)
-Turned off computer, reset CMOS.
-Booted back up from win7 cd...the installation worked. The first minute I'm in my desktop I get another BSOD BAD_POOL_HEADER...
-Restarted computer...dragged a folder for my drivers from USB stick to the desktop and I got another BSOD: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA..
-Restarted computer again...got all my driver folders onto desktop. Afraid to even begin installing the drivers.

The only thing left that I can think of doing is updating my BIOS...otherwise do I just simply have faulty RAM? it's been working fine until last night when (coincidentally or not) I had the failed installation of AI Suite II and weird behavior directly thereafter. Also the Windows memory test passed. I am not back in XMP mode yet either.

Please help I have run out of options and I'm stressed out! :(

Note: Will not update drivers or anything until I hear back. I will turn into XMP mode to see if I still get a BSOD.

EDIT: I called Crucial tech support (They are fantastic) and they told me the firmware i installed is not causing this issue...so at least the SSD is ruled out.

EDIT: Updated BIOS to latest version and set mode XMP...will see if it stays stable for a little bit and attempt driver installation (Chipset, LAN, USB, Audio & gpu)

EDIT: I did my first windows update...upon loading windows was given the BSOD "Memory_Management"
When i went to go into control panel..i was immediately given an error: "The RPC Server is unavailable" with a large set of numbers coming after. Then the Microsoft Protection Platform stopped working and control+alt+del wouldnt work after that either. Restart doesn't even respond....the computer responded after 5 minutes of freezing...restarted and when i opened IE9 i got BSOD BAD_POOL_HEADER. I shut down my computer and will not attempt any more fixes until I hear back. :( :( :( :(

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Sorry to hear about all these issues.

Yes, enter BIOS and make sure that your memory configuration is according to the settings on the sticker on your RAM.

Next, try Memtest86+ on each stick indivudually, and if all passes, with all sticks in.

Also, make sure that your heatsink is correctly seated on the CPU.