Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Safe CPU temps for AMD FX8120 black

Last response: in CPUs
May 8, 2012 4:22:04 PM

Hello,

I use Core Temp to monitor cpu temp. I've tried to find out a solid answer, but have gotten answers ranging from 90c to 65c as being the safe maximum. I have a new aftermarket fan coming in the next couple days, so that part is handled. My CPU has been getting anywhere from 65+ while gaming. I have the PC set to shutdown at 70c. People have told me that is too low, some have told me that is too high. Can anyone give me a solid answer on what temp I should have my pc shutdown at with this particular cpu? Core Temp says the Tj. Max is 90 but that seems entirely too high to me, but I am not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best solution

a c 105 à CPUs
May 8, 2012 4:32:30 PM

70c is a good shut down level, what aftermarket cooler did you get?
May 8, 2012 4:36:11 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Cooler Master Hyper 212 till I can afford a water cooling system

edit: and thanks, 70c seemed reasonable to me, the damn stock heatsink is garbage though, reaches that after 5 minutes. I know it's the fan, the temps have just been creeping up since I built the pc.
m
l
Related resources
a c 105 à CPUs
May 8, 2012 4:38:10 PM

its a good cooler and will help reduce those temps
m
l
May 8, 2012 6:26:21 PM

Best answer selected by piqua.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2012 6:32:29 PM

Keep in mind that internal temp and motherboard socket temps are not the same thing. The socket is farther away from the heatsink and will be 10-20 degrees hotter than the actual cpu. Core temp usually finds the motherboard sensor.

AMD Overdrive is a relaiable program that will only see the internal sensor, chances are you would see that 10-20 degree difference with core temp.

With that in mind, amd states max cpu temp as 62C, thats the internal temp. so the motherboard sensor could see up to 82C, depending on how much heat is trapped under the board.
m
l
a c 108 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 8, 2012 7:09:29 PM

FX max spec temps is 61c

m
l
!