Sign in with
Your question

Your opinion about my system?

Last response: in Systems
January 25, 2012 3:58:57 PM

Hey tech-geeks!

I am going to build a new system in February, just after my birthday (turning 15) and just before the holidays, and I have come to the somewhat final conclusion about my parts. So since I have way to much spare time, I wanted to kinda go over the whole system and ask your opinion...

Alright, some basic info. This system will cost about € 800, which is about 1035 US $. Don't let this mislead you, because hardware here in the Netherlands is a bit more expensive, so this will be a mid-range PC. I will use the system mostly as main computer. Right now I'm using a dell laptop, which isn't that bad, but just not enough. So my system will be mostly for normal home/school tasks like browsing the internet and office, some photoshopping and gaming. Gaming is the worst problem on this laptop, it can barely run Assassin's creed brotherhood on lowest settings. I'm also a software tweaker, but and I'm planning on overclocking in the future.

So here are the specs of my system:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 960T
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6850
Memory: Crucial 8GB DDR3-1333 (2x4 kit)
Mobo: ASrock 970 Extreme3
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
CPU Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 EVO
HDD: 320 GB Samsung
SSD: Patriot 32 GB
Case: Cooler master elite 430
Monitor: LG Flatron E2351T-BN (1920x1080)

I will also add an DVD burner and a 2.1 Speaker set, and a keyboard and mouse, but that's not important.

So: about the system

I want to install windows, photoshop, office and my browser on the ssd and all the other programs/games/media on the HDD. 320 GB will be more then enough, I can't even fill my 160 GB drive right now. The cooling in the case will be enough, I'll replace the standard 120 mm intake with an 140 mm fan, add two 120 mm's on the top and place the stock 120 mm from the front on the bottom. I will also add 2 cold cathodes in my case and 2 on the back of my monitor, should look pretty nice. Lastly I am going to use a automatic fan controller for the front, bottom and one of the top fans, and plug the CPU and the other top fan into the motherboard. I have already closed a thread about the CPU, I'm not going with the Intel i3, because this one is a quad core and I'm a real multitasker. And I would like to do some overclocking later, so a black edition AMD would be just what I need.

Well, that's about it. Do you think this would make a nice mid-range system, for basic tasks and some gaming (like assassin's creed, batman and mafia II)? Please give me your opinion!

More about : opinion system

January 25, 2012 6:54:00 PM

It works .
Ideally buy memory that will run at 1.5 volt or less since that would let you update the processor to Bulldozer or Piledriver at a future time .

Use the FX 4100 processor now is an an option too , depending on price
I would buy a better graphics card and no cpu cooler . Maybe that way you can afford a 6870 ?

Another better option would be an intel i5 2400 , H61 motherboard and for get the SSD and cpu cooler . This will game better and run photoshop much better

Either system would run well on a 500 watt cpu .
January 25, 2012 7:16:51 PM

The SSD is way too small to be useful; you'll be tearing your hair out in no time. You might skate by with 64GB, but I'd really recommend a minimum of 80GB for a system drive.
Related resources
January 25, 2012 7:18:29 PM

If your going to overclock you might want a better case.
January 25, 2012 7:24:29 PM

I second the SSD comment of being too small. Win7 is a 15GB install unless you get a trimmed version.

Not only will you be very close to filling your SSD to capacity, its performance will be severely degraded. SSDs tend to slow the more they're filled and at pushing them to this type of capacity is a recipe for disaster.

Spring for a 60GB minimum.
January 26, 2012 6:10:24 AM

alright, let's start with the counter-questions :) 

first, about the CPU upgrading to a bulldozer: I've already had a topic about that and the guys there told me a bulldozer of the same specs can't beat the phenom because there are 4 cores and 2 caches in a bulldozer, which makes there performance less powerful.

buying no CPU cooler isn't an option, because I want to overclock, and since the Phenom is an unlocked black edition I want to go pretty high with it, so I simply need some decent cooling.

I believe the case is fine, I mean, is it about the airflow, or cable management? The cooling is fine; 140mm intake at the front, 120mm intake on the bottom, 2 exhaust 120mm at the top, directly under my CPU cooler? sounds like enough airflow to me?

and is a 32GB ssd really to small? I'm afraid I can't afford a 64GB version... what if I only put my OS and Photoshop on it? It's not such a big problem. The only thing I really want on it is Windows.

January 26, 2012 6:22:46 AM

If you are willing to keep the game load times the same, you could pass on by with your SSD size.
January 26, 2012 6:25:23 AM

azeem40 said:
If you are willing to keep the game load times the same, you could pass on by with your SSD size.

no, it's not that, I really don't care about the games loading times, only about my windows. I'm only adding Photoshop and maybe office because it will work some faster, not really necessary.
January 26, 2012 6:42:08 AM

Outlander_04 said:
The elite 430 is a good case for the money . It will work

The FX 4100 vs Phenom is a balancing act .
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+FX-4...

The phenom does have stronger individual cores , but generally the FX can produce higher 3D mark scores and can be better for many games

Well, the FX is a bit cheaper than the Phenom, I think I'll go with the FX, it looks ok to me.
!